[Q] What is the safe max temp for LG G2?

Search This thread

hydeah

Nov 19, 2011
New York
I checked this but I did not find it asked/answered here, I kept getting results of other devices.
I am running this modification my G2 and it seems to get hot pretty quickly. I have a case on it and I can feel the heat very easily, gauge is reading 103*F. I know this may not be too hot for other devices, I read 107 or more, but what is the safe temp?

d6799af93001f90aeca6ba56be4aca7e.png

G1_enthusiast

Oct 11, 2009
I checked this but I did not find it asked/answered here, I kept getting results of other devices.
I am running this modification my G2 and it seems to get hot pretty quickly. I have a case on it and I can feel the heat very easily, gauge is reading 103*F. I know this may not be too hot for other devices, I read 107 or more, but what is the safe temp?

d6799af93001f90aeca6ba56be4aca7e.png

thats only 39C its hot but not dangerously hot. 50C+ is when you need to get worry

you better off install a rom and wootever kernel and UV its...I rarely reach 35C

hydeah

Nov 19, 2011
New York
thats only 39C its hot but not dangerously hot. 50C+ is when you need to get worry

you better off install a rom and wootever kernel and UV its...I rarely reach 35C

The phone never felt this hot before, this happened when I was trying Asphalt game.
I am not rooted, it is running all stock, with most stock bloatware already stopped.

G1_enthusiast

Oct 11, 2009
The phone never felt this hot before, this happened when I was trying Asphalt game.
I am not rooted, it is running all stock, with most stock bloatware already stopped.

so all the other time you play asphalt it never got that hot?

did u play it with a case all the other times?

could be background process running along with your game causing it to be hot.

hydeah

Nov 19, 2011
New York
so all the other time you play asphalt it never got that hot?

did u play it with a case all the other times?

could be background process running along with your game causing it to be hot.

Since I downloaded it today was the only day I played this long (just 3 races in a row and some browsing here and there on the game screen, that's all) so I don't have any comparison data but I was just curious as to why it got hot so fast. It never felt this hot (hot enough for me to check the temperature) doing anything else, except maybe when I ran 4-5 benchmark apps in a row, I remember it felt pretty warm back then too but cooled down quickly. Also I did not hold the phone on hand when tests were running..

G1_enthusiast

Oct 11, 2009
Since I downloaded it today was the only day I played this long (just 3 races in a row and some browsing here and there on the game screen, that's all) so I don't have any comparison data but I was just curious as to why it got hot so fast. It never felt this hot (hot enough for me to check the temperature) doing anything else, except maybe when I ran 4-5 benchmark apps in a row, I remember it felt pretty warm back then too but cooled down quickly. Also I did not hold the phone on hand when tests were running..

were u charging at the same time?

hydeah

Nov 19, 2011
New York
just try it again, if it get hotter than 40C then your thermal paste might be ****ty and might have to return. if it kept stay around that temperature then your fine. I wouldnt worry about it, but like i said, i rarely get up there.

Thanks, I am going to give it another run tomorrow after it is fully charged at %100 I am going to play the game for about 10-15 minutes report back with temp.

Then I will let it cool off, close all unnecessary applications and then try again and report back.
Is this actually battery temp or processor temp? I assume it is processor because the hot portion is actually top, right around the camera. Should I be checking any other temp gauges?

What rom are you running? I wanted to root and run a rom, but it seems like all roms are either nightlies or release candidates, there isn't even a stable 4.2 rom for G2 D800.
Edit:
I just saw CM 10.2 has finally been released as stable but there are still some reports of serious bugs, and a poster said this should be final before development on CM 11 begins.

Last edited:
H

Hammer_Of_The_Gods

Hi,

Do not confuse CPU temperature and battery temperature... Here guys (at least hydeah) you are talking about battery temperature, not CPU temperature.

40/45 °C for battery is not abnormal, an average 70 °C for the CPU temperature is not abnormal when you are playing games for example. In any case there is a thermal throttling to prevent a real overheating...

And according to the Thermal files in /system/etc the max battery temperature is 52/54 °C (and 120 °C for the CPU before shutdown)...

These threads about temperature bother me, even all the threads wich reports "overheating" are all expect real overheating, but only misinformation or whatsoever...

Guys you have a quadcore at 2,26 Ghz... what do you expect playing an heavy games :confused: 30 °C CPU temperature and 20 °C battery temperature???

With this mod (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2479892) it's normal that your phone runs a bit warmer, the max CPU temperature before thermal throttling is increased to 70 °C...
But in any case the thermal throttling still exists...

There is plenty of thread like this one, use the search function and you will see that your temperature is normal.

Do the conversion for the degrees fahrenheit :D

:)

Last edited:

hydeah

Nov 19, 2011
New York
Hi,

Do not confuse CPU temperature and battery temperature... Here guys (at least hydeah) you are talking about battery temperature, not CPU temperature.

40/45 °C for battery is not abnormal, an average 70 °C for the CPU temperature is not abnormal when you are playing games for example. In any case there is a thermal throttling to prevent a real overheating...

And according to the Thermal files in /system/etc the max battery temperature is 52/54 °C (and 120 °C for the CPU before shutdown)...

These threads about temperature bother me, even all the threads wich reports "overheating" are all expect real overheating, but only misinformation or whatsoever...

Guys you have a quadcore at 2,26 Ghz... what do you expect playing an heavy games :confused: 30 °C CPU temperature and 20 °C battery temperature???

With this mod (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2479892) it's normal that your phone runs a bit warmer, the max CPU temperature before thermal throttling is increased to 70 °C...

There is plenty of thread like this one, use the search function and you will see that your temperature is normal.

Thanks, what do you recommend to read both cpu and battery temperatures?
I did use search function, but like I said there were a lot of threads on other devices/models so I wasn't sure if they would apply to this particular device.

120*C? Won't things start melting and boiling at that temp?

H

Hammer_Of_The_Gods

I did use search function, but like I said there were a lot of threads on other devices/models so I wasn't sure if they would apply to this particular device.

I use Trickster Mod, you can try this one too: Temp+CPU PRO, System Tuner, etc...
But with these apps understand that you have a range CPU temperature, it won't be exactly the temperature at 1 °C precision. Maybe you'll see 70 °C in reality the exact and real temperature will be 68 or 71 °C for example...

Yep, high temperature limit :eek: and confirmed from a kernel dev (the "old" Samsung Galaxy Nexus have 110 °C as max CPU temp before shutdown for example, I push it to 100 °C max :p), it's the internal CPU temperature. But I guess it's (almost impossible) to go so high, the thermal throttling is present to do its job before...

Last edited:

hydeah

Nov 19, 2011
New York
I use Trickster Mod, you can try this one too: Temp+CPU PRO, System Tuner, etc...
But with these apps understand that you have a range CPU temperature, it won't be exactly the temperature at 1 °C precision. Maybe you'll see 70 °C in reality the exact and real temperature will be 68 or 71 °C for example...

Yep, high temperature limit :eek: and confirmed from a kernel dev (the "old" Samsung Galaxy Nexus have 110 °C as max CPU temp before shutdown for example, I push it to 100 °C max :p), it's the internal CPU temperature. But I guess it's (almost impossible) to go so high, the thermal throttling is present to do its job before...

Merci beaucoup monsieur. :cool:

Too much work at the office, couldn't run the tests today, will do it tonight.

MIKEYG86

Aug 1, 2013
Tuscaloosa
the G2 will start thermal throttling when its core cpu thermostat hits 150 degrees.

the G2 will start thermal throttling when its core cpu thermostat hits 150 degrees. Which sucks because most benchmarks will get your CPU up around 160-170° It lowers the clock speed to 1958mhz at first then if needed as low as 1152mhz to prevent damage.

Plain Water

Aug 12, 2012
singapore
Hi,

Thank you for this useful information!

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk