[APP] SMSTimestampFixer (Fixes SMS order problem) [v.1.3.1 - 28 April 2010]

Search This thread

abmantis

Sep 14, 2007
Description:
This aims to fix the problem that occur when you use threaded messaging mode, that is sometimes the sms's appearing in the wrong order.

Background:

This problem is due to the fact that HTC Messaging app uses the device time to stamp on a send SMS and uses the server (service provider) time in received SMS and then uses that time to show and order the SMS in the thread mode (I'm not sure if native windows mobile app has this problem too). So if your device time is not in "perfect" sync with the server time sometimes, since the server could be late in comparison to your device, the messages will appear in a wrong order.

What this fix does:
When a new message arrives, this fix replaces the message time (that comes from the server time) with the device time and this way they will always show in the order they have arrived.
Also, every time that the device time is more than 1 minute different from the SMS original time, it will show the original SMS time between "[ ]" before the SMS text to let you know that it was sent some time ago.
This could be usefull if someone sends you a message and it does not arrive at that moment because your device was off (for example), you will see the time at when the sms arrived and not the one at when it was sent.
It will also show the date if the message was sent more than 24 hours ago.

Since this is a .dll that integrates with the winmo messaging process/service it will not eat your resources constantly.

I've been using this in my HD2 and having no problem so far.
Please report any problems that you find and fell free to suggest improvements.

A reboot after install may be necessary.

Procedure to test if it is working:
1 - Before installing you can increase the time in your device for 5 minutes;
2 - Send and SMS to yourself from the same device. You will see that the sent SMS will appear after the received one;
3 - Delete both SMS.
3 - Install this fix;
4 - With the time still 5 minutes ahead of the real time, send another SMS to yourself from the same device. This time it should appear in the right order and show the server time in the beggining of the SMS like: "[13:50:30] ....".
5 - Don't forget to put the time back to normal..

Version history:

• 1.1 [07 April 2010]
    • Launch version.
  • 1.2 [08 April 2010]
    • Corrected the method used to find if it should show only time or also date in SMS text;
    • This new .cab ensures that the files are completely removed.
  • 1.3 [26 April 2010]
    • Added configuration tool "SMSTimestampFixerCfg". Options:
      • Show/Hide original timestamp, the one between brackets;
      • Set the time difference that defines when to show the original timestamp;
      • Set the position where the original timestamp should appear.
    • The SMSTimestampFixerCfg application icon is not correct, I'll fix that in a next version.
  • 1.3.1 [28 April 2010]
    • Fixed bug that was making version 1.3 useless :) (not reading the settings correctly).
  • 1.3.2 [10 April 2011]
    • Removed extra space from "[ hh:mm:ss]".

SMSTimestampFixerCfg Settings:

• "Show original timestamp": Enable or disable showing the original (service provider) timestamp between brackets in SMS text;
  • "Show if difference is bigger than": The original timestamp will only appear if the difference between your device's time and service provider's time is greater than the value specified here. This setting only takes effect if "Show original timestamp" is selected;
  • "Position": Defines if the original timestamp should appear before (beggining) or after (end) the SMS text.This setting only takes effect if "Show original timestamp" is selected.
You need to press the "Apply" button to apply settings. There should be a message box informing that the settings where applied. If the settings are not applied, do a soft reset.

ATTENTION: You should always remove the previous version and soft reset before installing a new one. When installing a version greater than 1.3 it should show a message with "SMSTimestampFixer XXX sucessfully registered" where XXX is the version number. If it does not show the correct version you should remove the application, soft reset and reinstall it.

* If you found this usefull please press the THANKS button. Also, if you want to buy me a coffee please donate :) *

Attachments

• SMSTimestampFixer1.2.CAB
    440.6 KB · Views: 3,443
  • SMSTimestampFixerSetup1.3.1.CAB
    586.5 KB · Views: 5,161
  • SMSTimestampFixerSetup1.3.2.CAB
    587.5 KB · Views: 316
Last edited:
Reactions: arash18k

daemonfly

Apr 8, 2010
Thanks, applying now and will see if any issues pop up. I've been getting annoyed by this and was looking for a fix.

abmantis

Sep 14, 2007
Thanks for the feedback :)

I've uploaded a new version (1.2), check the first post.

Reignzone

Sep 2, 2009
Dallas, Texas
This is just plain excellent. I'm pretty excited that someone has finally decided to CALL UPON such an issue... then FIX it.

This thread certainly NEEDS more attention... with that said, TELL YOUR FRIENDS FOLKS! :rolleyes:

harky

Jun 14, 2008
Singapore
i think it fix my problem but as i not using htc messages.. cant see now lol

thanks

Last edited:

Reignzone

Sep 2, 2009
Dallas, Texas
I can't provide a point-of-reference in this case, as I haven't bothered to actually install the application JUST YET, but I have a feeling that eventually it will come in handy. Now having said that, IF there is anything else that can be done to further enhance this application, any improvement at all... continue to make it happen, and I'll be sure to bring more awareness to this sweet little fix.

gabriel.twl

Aug 15, 2009
Great!

OMG i can't express how much you made my day DeadVirus, this issue has been annoying me like mad and all i could find was cabs that fixes the time zone issue which don't help. Although i have yet to try the cab, but i'm looking forward to trying it! Thanks so much! Been ranting to HTC and they are doing nothing, and thank goodness for xda and people like you! Thanks! Looking forward to your future work or improvements to this fix, probably can look into the sms lag and other problems? Still, thanks so much!! Appreciate it man! Cheers!:D

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Description:
    This aims to fix the problem that occur when you use threaded messaging mode, that is sometimes the sms's appearing in the wrong order.

Background:

This problem is due to the fact that HTC Messaging app uses the device time to stamp on a send SMS and uses the server (service provider) time in received SMS and then uses that time to show and order the SMS in the thread mode (I'm not sure if native windows mobile app has this problem too). So if your device time is not in "perfect" sync with the server time sometimes, since the server could be late in comparison to your device, the messages will appear in a wrong order.

What this fix does:
    When a new message arrives, this fix replaces the message time (that comes from the server time) with the device time and this way they will always show in the order they have arrived.
    Also, every time that the device time is more than 1 minute different from the SMS original time, it will show the original SMS time between "[ ]" before the SMS text to let you know that it was sent some time ago.
    This could be usefull if someone sends you a message and it does not arrive at that moment because your device was off (for example), you will see the time at when the sms arrived and not the one at when it was sent.
    It will also show the date if the message was sent more than 24 hours ago.

Since this is a .dll that integrates with the winmo messaging process/service it will not eat your resources constantly.

I've been using this in my HD2 and having no problem so far.
    Please report any problems that you find and fell free to suggest improvements.

A reboot after install may be necessary.

Procedure to test if it is working:
    1 - Before installing you can increase the time in your device for 5 minutes;
    2 - Send and SMS to yourself from the same device. You will see that the sent SMS will appear after the received one;
    3 - Delete both SMS.
    3 - Install this fix;
    4 - With the time still 5 minutes ahead of the real time, send another SMS to yourself from the same device. This time it should appear in the right order and show the server time in the beggining of the SMS like: "[13:50:30] ....".
    5 - Don't forget to put the time back to normal..

Version history:

• 1.1 [07 April 2010]
      • Launch version.
    • 1.2 [08 April 2010]
      • Corrected the method used to find if it should show only time or also date in SMS text;
      • This new .cab ensures that the files are completely removed.
    • 1.3 [26 April 2010]
      • Added configuration tool "SMSTimestampFixerCfg". Options:
        • Show/Hide original timestamp, the one between brackets;
        • Set the time difference that defines when to show the original timestamp;
        • Set the position where the original timestamp should appear.
      • The SMSTimestampFixerCfg application icon is not correct, I'll fix that in a next version.
    • 1.3.1 [28 April 2010]
      • Fixed bug that was making version 1.3 useless :) (not reading the settings correctly).
    • 1.3.2 [10 April 2011]
      • Removed extra space from "[ hh:mm:ss]".

SMSTimestampFixerCfg Settings:

• "Show original timestamp": Enable or disable showing the original (service provider) timestamp between brackets in SMS text;
    • "Show if difference is bigger than": The original timestamp will only appear if the difference between your device's time and service provider's time is greater than the value specified here. This setting only takes effect if "Show original timestamp" is selected;
    • "Position": Defines if the original timestamp should appear before (beggining) or after (end) the SMS text.This setting only takes effect if "Show original timestamp" is selected.
    You need to press the "Apply" button to apply settings. There should be a message box informing that the settings where applied. If the settings are not applied, do a soft reset.

ATTENTION: You should always remove the previous version and soft reset before installing a new one. When installing a version greater than 1.3 it should show a message with "SMSTimestampFixer XXX sucessfully registered" where XXX is the version number. If it does not show the correct version you should remove the application, soft reset and reinstall it.

* If you found this usefull please press the THANKS button. Also, if you want to buy me a coffee please donate :) *

Hi DeadVirus,
    •I install your .cab and it said registered successfully, but i noticed no change in the time stamp. Can you help me?

Hey.
    Are your SMS in wrong order after installing this? Did you made a reset after installing?
    One small problem:

The Time Stamp has the form "[ hh:mm:ss]". Is it possible to delete the space after the first bracket, so that it always has the correct form "[hh:mm:ss]"? That would be great!

Sorry for the mistakes. My german language is better. You can correct me as well.

Here it is :) Version 1.3.2 without the wrong space. Sorry for the delay.

As I told before I cannot test this much since I'm not using Windows Mobile now. So I'll not put this version in first post. Please test it (I'm pretty sure it works as good as the previous but without the wrong space) and please report if you find any problem or if it works fine. If no problems are reported I'll post it in the first post ;)

Please remove the previous version before installing this new one to prevent problems.