Cell Standby issue - please sign "petition" for Samsung

Search This thread

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Hi everyone,

I appreciate that there are threads on this already but this is different.

I have created a petition because Samsung support have not acknowledged that there is an issue. There recommendation was to "Factory reset".

It has been identified by members of the forum that the mA in battery stats used to calculate Cell Standby % has been set ridiculously high.

Please see explanation here.

Rooted users can fix this by flashing more realistic values here

I would like everyone who has the issue to sign the petition, so we can send it to Samsung and prove how much we like this fixed.

Link is here:

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/samsung-galaxy-s3-cell-standby-issue/

Moderators, please do not merge / delete. Could this sticky please?

Last edited:

Minoza

Sep 30, 2010
Zagreb
I wrote this in the other thread but I'll leave it here as well.
Do you guys realize at all how this works?

I mean, cell standby, percent shown means how much is used of the current % usage... If there is 50% percent of battery used, and 30% by cell standby, that means that 30% out of that 50% in total was used by cell standby, not that cell standby used 30% of battery, are you even aware of that?

If your phone's screen is off most of time, it is normal that the cell standby will be high in this list then. That doesn't mean it drains your battery it just shows how much of used battery was used for cell standby...

sxi200

Oct 18, 2010
Melbourne
Turn off wifi and data and battery loses 1% every hour or 2. With wifi & or data on the phone loses about 2-3% every hour.

The reception radio isn't the problem.

Most likely some background syncing happening. I've turned all types of background syncing but drain persists.

Could just be that having wifi or data on chews up battery, ie hardware.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium

matttye

Dec 6, 2010
I wrote this in the other thread but I'll leave it here as well.

Thank you captain obvious :p

It's the fact that cell standby often tops the battery usage list even when the screen has been on for like 2.5 hours. It was never this high in the S2 or other Android phones.

Somebody suggested it could be a change in the way cell standby is reported, which is a possibility, but it would be helpful if Samsung would confirm or deny that.

Minoza

Sep 30, 2010
Zagreb
Thank you captain obvious :p

It's the fact that cell standby often tops the battery usage list even when the screen has been on for like 2.5 hours. It was never this high in the S2 or other Android phones.

Somebody suggested it could be a change in the way cell standby is reported, which is a possibility, but it would be helpful if Samsung would confirm or deny that.

I see. Yeah, sorry for being obvious then, I just had a feel that some folks don't get it and wanted to explain it. I don't have battery drain issue. But I don't have wifi and 3g on all the time though.

matttye

Dec 6, 2010
Precisely.

In my email to them, I asked them to confirm if it was reporting.

Do you have a static IP set up on your network at home?

Something I just realised is that my battery reported "Wi-Fi" usage when I was using DHCP, but it doesn't report Wi-Fi now that I have a static IP set up.

I'm going to change it back to use DHCP and see if that makes a difference. It could be that Wi-Fi is being reported under cell standby usage for some reason.

Although... that doesn't explain why cell standby is so high while I'm at work and not connected to Wi-Fi!

I see. Yeah, sorry for being obvious then, I just had a feel that some folks don't get it and wanted to explain it. I don't have battery drain issue. But I don't have wifi and 3g on all the time though.

Sorry, your "do you guys know at all how this works?" comment came across as a little condescending but you probably didn't mean it to be :p

The issue is basically that cell standby is using a lot more on this phone than on any others, but it could be a reporting issue. We're trying to figure out what's causing it.

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Do you have a static IP set up on your network at home?

Something I just realised is that my battery reported "Wi-Fi" usage when I was using DHCP, but it doesn't report Wi-Fi now that I have a static IP set up.

I'm going to change it back to use DHCP and see if that makes a difference. It could be that Wi-Fi is being reported under cell standby usage for some reason.

Although... that doesn't explain why cell standby is so high while I'm at work and not connected to Wi-Fi!

Yes after your thread on AF, I set it to Static. You reported that initially was "wlan_rx_wake" under android OS.

I wasnt experiencing high Android OS usage, but I did it anyway. It hasn't affected cell standby.

I cannot recall if WiFi was reported separately in the battery report page before Static but it definitely isnt there now.

I have tasker turn off my WiFi and I spend all day at work with wiFi off (But data still on) and I still have the issue.

It is slightly better than it was after changing modems and roms, but its still high.

matttye

Dec 6, 2010
Yes after your thread on AF, I set it to Static. You reported that initially was "wlan_rx_wake" under android OS.

I wasnt experiencing high Android OS usage, but I did it anyway. It hasn't affected cell standby.

I cannot recall if WiFi was reported separately in the battery report page before Static but it definitely isnt there now.

I have tasker turn off my WiFi and I spend all day at work with wiFi off (But data still on) and I still have the issue.

It is slightly better than it was after changing modems and roms, but its still high.

I may be mistaken about WiFi being reported separately, just seemed to recall it was :p I just went back to DHCP and it didn't make a difference.

But yes... I seem to get high cell standby with or without WiFi on. Having a bad signal doesn't seem to have as much of an impact as it used to, as cell standby is so high anyway.

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Although it does appear to be a simple reporting issue, we should still show how much we want this fixed.

Only 46 signatures. Please sign if you would like realistic consumption information in the battery stats page.

gardengnome

Oct 14, 2010
I doubt that this is simply a calculation and displaying issue.
By loosing 2-3% charge every hour the battery should be depleted in about 35 hours without doing anything else. Let's say the real drain is about 1% per hour. A tenfold displaying error in modem power usage would mean a difference of real 50-60 hours in battery time.

Also yesterday the phone didn't seem to want to go into deep sleep, rather staying at 200MHz most of the time. This was using I9300XXALE8. Today I installed I9300XXALF6 OTA and that issue might be solved. Although I have no long term experiences yet, naturally. But the battery drain seems still to be there.

The attached screenshot shows usage with 17min of screen usage.
Stock rom, no root or anything else.

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Here is an update:

Dear Dan

Thank you for contacting Samsung and I have pleasure in providing the following assistance.

In response to your query, please be advised that our engineers are currently investigating the issue you have described. If they find it to be a genuine fault then a firmware update will be rolled out as soon as possible. Due to the nature of our investigation we are unable to advise on a timescale for any possible update.

If you require any further assistance, please contact Samsung again and we will be more than happy to help.

Kind regards

David

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi everyone,

I appreciate that there are threads on this already but this is different.

I have created a petition because Samsung support have not acknowledged that there is an issue. There recommendation was to "Factory reset".

It has been identified by members of the forum that the mA in battery stats used to calculate Cell Standby % has been set ridiculously high.

Please see explanation here.

Rooted users can fix this by flashing more realistic values here

I would like everyone who has the issue to sign the petition, so we can send it to Samsung and prove how much we like this fixed.

Link is here:

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/samsung-galaxy-s3-cell-standby-issue/

Moderators, please do not merge / delete. Could this sticky please?