[GUIDE] How to root Samsung Galaxy S4 (GT-I9505 and GT-I9500)

Search This thread

zexbig

Dec 15, 2004
Zagreb
Let's move on!

There is several methods of achieving root access on SGS 4 and several guides on this subject, but for sake of simplicity we
will use here easiest and simplest way.
Recognized xda developer Dan Rosenberg (@djrbliss) has recently published his exploit for
series of Motorola devices but it's obvious that this exploit works on wide range devices including SGS 4 by exploiting vulnerability in /dev/graphics/fb0.
For more detailed information about how motochopper works please read post from SW686 here on xda forum.
I'v tested this method on SGS 4 (GT-I9505) with Qualcomm Snapdragon 600 but it should work on GT-I9500 with Samsung Exynos processor.
Software build on which exploit was tested is XXUAMDF.

Advantages of this method to achieve root access on SGS4 are following:
No need to flash trough ODIN.
Simple one click method.

1. First make sure that You have samsung adb drivers installed! If not please download and install them from here or install Samsung Kies application which will also install adb drivers.
Senior xda member daerragh has provided very nice tutorial how to do it.

2. Download motochopper exploit from here and place it on Your Desktop.
3. Unzip motochopper with Your favorit archiving program or simply by using windows bulit in funcionality (Extract all)

4. Enable on Your phone USB development mode

Open up your device’s “Settings->Click on More as shown on picture 1 and then select About device”.
At the “About” screen, scroll to the bottom and tap on “Build number” seven (7) times.
Make sure you tap seven times. If you see a “You are now a developer!” message pop up, then you know you have done it correctly.

By tapping on “Build number” seven times, you have unlocked USB debugging mode on Android 4.2 and higher.
You can now enable/disable it whenever you desire by going to “Settings” -> “Developer Options” -> “Debugging” ->” USB debugging”.
screenshot_about_device.png

5. Connect Your SGS4 to computer via USB cable.
6. Verify that Your USB drivers are installed correctly by opening command prompt (press windows key + r) and navigate to the folder in which
You extracted motochopper.
Code:
cd C:\users\{username}\Desktop\motochopper\
In cmd prompt type
Code:
adb devices
If Your cmd prompts looks like this then You may proceed with next step.
adb_devices.png

If you don't have output from command adb devices which shows Your device check Your Samsung driver installation, check connectivity (try replacing cable) etc.

7. Time for grand finale, type in cmd prompt
Code:
run.bat
and follow instructions on the screen.

mc.png

Feel free to post any suggestion or updates on this thread.

Last edited:

cmd512

Aug 25, 2009
Shanghai
Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2
Did command adb devices show that Your device is recognized ?
Did You install Samsung drivers?

Yes, it recognized the device ID, but where your screenshot says "device," mine says "offline."

Device is recognized with no issues by Windows though, latest Samsung drivers installed.

zexbig

Dec 15, 2004
Zagreb
You need to approve USB Debug connection on Your phone when You connect USB cable.
Device should present You with screen in which will ask You to allow connection with computer.

cmd512

Aug 25, 2009
Shanghai
OK, fixed the "offline" bit, you need the latest adb drivers that support 4.2.2 and the RSA key. The script ran through to completion and the device rebooted. After the reboot, still no root...!

(See attached image.)

Attachments

• Root.jpg
    Root.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 4,790
Last edited:

hassan89

May 15, 2012
Does this method work on newer kernel that is supposed to be unrootable?

zexbig

Dec 15, 2004
Zagreb
Can You please post exact kernel version which are u using, also which model You have I9505 or I9500?

DjeMBeY

Dec 23, 2011
London, UK
www.soundcloud.com
Can You please post exact kernel version which are u using, also which model You have I9505 or I9500?

LATEST it's UNROOTABLE for both models.....
This method is working on firmwares up to MDM, after that Kernel got locked,
no solution atm, custom kernel is needed if you want the latest one...
It's possible to root latest MDM firmware for i9505 with Modified CF-AutoRoot though.... it replaces Kernel and it can stay Official..

Last edited:
Reactions: cefur23

zexbig

Dec 15, 2004
Zagreb
It's possible to root latest MDM firmware for i9505 with Modified CF-AutoRoot though.... it replaces Kernel and it can stay Official..

For this versions there is cofface method.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2255652

topcat07

Mar 30, 2013
Thanks for this coming from a noob looks nice and easy

Will it work on the below I won't do it without confirnation?

Can I use triangle away afterwards to?
Thank you

2zrdy6b.png

Sent from my GT-I9505 using xda app-developers app

T

troobadu

I'm running kernel 3.4.5-526212 (GT-I9500). Is this kernel rootable?

cefur23

Jun 20, 2012
Hi Thanks for this and your effort.

My device is international version GT-I9505 and Baseband is: I9505ZHUAMDE

Will this method going to work? Or please tell me whats the easiest way to root my device? :confused:

Thanks in advance!!!!
Al

San-

Sep 22, 2006
Process was fine, without any errors!
But result is fail. :(
Still no root access.(I checked it by "Root Checker")
I9505XXUAAMDE

Attachments

• Captured001.jpg
    Captured001.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 1,177

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Let's move on!

There is several methods of achieving root access on SGS 4 and several guides on this subject, but for sake of simplicity we
    will use here easiest and simplest way.
    Recognized xda developer Dan Rosenberg (@djrbliss) has recently published his exploit for
    series of Motorola devices but it's obvious that this exploit works on wide range devices including SGS 4 by exploiting vulnerability in /dev/graphics/fb0.
    For more detailed information about how motochopper works please read post from SW686 here on xda forum.
    I'v tested this method on SGS 4 (GT-I9505) with Qualcomm Snapdragon 600 but it should work on GT-I9500 with Samsung Exynos processor.
    Software build on which exploit was tested is XXUAMDF.

Advantages of this method to achieve root access on SGS4 are following:
    No need to flash trough ODIN.
    Simple one click method.

1. First make sure that You have samsung adb drivers installed! If not please download and install them from here or install Samsung Kies application which will also install adb drivers.
    Senior xda member daerragh has provided very nice tutorial how to do it.

2. Download motochopper exploit from here and place it on Your Desktop.
    3. Unzip motochopper with Your favorit archiving program or simply by using windows bulit in funcionality (Extract all)

4. Enable on Your phone USB development mode

Open up your device’s “Settings->Click on More as shown on picture 1 and then select About device”.
    At the “About” screen, scroll to the bottom and tap on “Build number” seven (7) times.
    Make sure you tap seven times. If you see a “You are now a developer!” message pop up, then you know you have done it correctly.

By tapping on “Build number” seven times, you have unlocked USB debugging mode on Android 4.2 and higher.
    You can now enable/disable it whenever you desire by going to “Settings” -> “Developer Options” -> “Debugging” ->” USB debugging”.
    screenshot_about_device.png

5. Connect Your SGS4 to computer via USB cable.
    6. Verify that Your USB drivers are installed correctly by opening command prompt (press windows key + r) and navigate to the folder in which
    You extracted motochopper.
    Code:
    cd C:\users\{username}\Desktop\motochopper\
    In cmd prompt type
    Code:
    adb devices
    If Your cmd prompts looks like this then You may proceed with next step.
    adb_devices.png

If you don't have output from command adb devices which shows Your device check Your Samsung driver installation, check connectivity (try replacing cable) etc.

7. Time for grand finale, type in cmd prompt
    Code:
    run.bat
    and follow instructions on the screen.

mc.png

Feel free to post any suggestion or updates on this thread.
    Yes i found it and the phone "It contains root now"

If you get with the command adb devices OFFLINE then use this one.

I use this zip file and it work.
    http://vulnfactory.org/public/motochopper.zip

I do the adb devices
    then run.bat
    then look at your screen and puss oke or yes. ( It a long code. )
    and wait.

I hope it will help others ( You can always Thanks me haha )

His version has issues too, I've discussed it at length in his thread. Currently, there is NO good root method for the new kernels.
    Here's MDE kernel STOCK. Flash it in ODIN. Then after reboot, power off, enter to download mode and flash cf-root in ODIN.
    Works fine.
    Kernel STOCK MDE i9505 http://sourceforge.net/projects/cybdani/files/kernel-mde-cybdani.tar.md5/download
    Regards.