Touch screen sensitivity, shaking when holding something. (possible solution pg2)

Search This thread

clouds5

Feb 8, 2011
Here's the thing. It's not a big deal but it's annoying. When I put my finger on the screen to hold something or slowly scrolling the screen, or more accuratly the item I'm holding, starts shaking sometimes very faintly.

Could there be a driver issue, too sensitive? I enabled pointer tracking in the dev options and the numbers jump around sometimes when holding something. So i guess that could be the problem.

Btw only happens with my fingers not with the spen. Maybe my fingers are too thick? Can you guys reproduce this? Its easy to reproduce with a solitaire klondike game where you have to move cards around.

[e] Just FYI: My device does not have the multitouch issues described in this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2491690

Last edited:
Reactions: ElAguila

clouds5

Feb 8, 2011
Yeah that's what I was thinking. The driver is just very sensitive and that's probably needed for S-Pen I guess.
In normal use I don't even notice it anyway but I was playing this card game and while holding a card for a while thinking where to put it I noticed the faint shaking :) Thx for the quick answer.

clouds5

Feb 8, 2011
Could some more people test this? I'm wondering if all devices have this or if it's only some. I've read it might be related to temperature, as in if the touchscreen gets too cold it starts acting funny. Oo.

chabasse

Dec 12, 2012
I have it also... I found it yesterday when I used stock browser. I wanted to mark some text and holded finger on, it started to shake a little.. But for me it is not annoying.. and I think that is kind of characteristic for this "S-pen-able" screens..

Reactions: clouds5

clouds5

Feb 8, 2011
Thx :) You know I have the tablet for almost a month now and I'm trying to find out if there are any issues because I can't live without root any longer. So far no issues at all and it seems this shaking thing is just a common driver/spen issue nothing that might be a possible warranty case :) (other devices have it too, google told me so)

Think I'm gonna root this baby!

Reactions: chabasse

chabasse

Dec 12, 2012
heh.. I understand you very well.. I rooted mine two days after bought.. I can not imagine using it without root. Of course I tripped knox :p

hmukarram

Jan 23, 2014
Same problem

When you hold the icons for example to move them they start shaking rather erratically, for me it was very annoying as this does'nt happen on Note 3. I check several devices. I don't know if it is a fault with the device or the driver. I tend to read alot as well at it makes scrolling text up and down quite annoying as well.

clouds5

Feb 8, 2011
So the interesting question now is if there are people having absolutely zero shaking :)

But i suspect it's the driver that has issues with big touch points because it's tuned to the small tip of the s pen. Maybe the high resolution makes it different from the notes? But I'm just speculating, don't know enough about how these wacom digitizer work...
If you enable pointer position tracking in dev options you can see how the pointer position is jumping around more the bigger the touch point is. If you put your whole finger on the screen things tend to get more jumpy. I think this should be fixable with a driver update.

Btw I did a soft reset (holding power button for 10secs) and since then it seems that it has gotten better. Weirdly enough :p but that might be placebo... so..

Last edited:

clouds5

Feb 8, 2011
OK I think i have isolated the issue. I've been to a store today and compared with a note 3 that was on display.

I used the "show pointer location" debug in the developer options for analysis.

On my note 10.1 2014 even though the spen is docked it still registers pressure somehow. Shown as "prs" in the top bar that appears when you enable pointer location. The pressure using just my finger as input fluctuates between 0.00 and about 0.15 even without spen! Where it should be at a steady 1.00 without spen.
That is exactly how it works on the note 3 (and all other android devices without pressure support like my sgs3). If you use your finger it sticks to 1.00 and when you use the pen it scales between 0.00 and 1.00.

Now on our notes normal touch input with finger only registers as very low pressure (~0.15) and I'm pretty sure that causes the shaking.

And what I conclude from that is that it should be a simple software fix in the driver to correct that. Finger = 1.00 prs. Any way to let samsung know about this? Or maybe even a dev could try to fix that in a custom rom?

marshwc

Dec 23, 2013
San Diego
OK I think i have isolated the issue. I've been to a store today and compared with a note 3 that was on display.

On my note 10.1 2014 even though the spen is docked it still registers pressure somehow. Shown as "prs" in the top bar that appears when you enable pointer location. The pressure using just my finger as input fluctuates between 0.00 and about 0.15 even without spen! Where it should be at a steady 1.00 without spen.
That is exactly how it works on the note 3 (and all other android devices without pressure support like my sgs3). If you use your finger it sticks to 1.00 and when you use the pen it scales between 0.00 and 1.00.

Now on our notes normal touch input with finger only registers as very low pressure (~0.15) and I'm pretty sure that causes the shaking.

And what I conclude from that is that it should be a simple software fix in the driver to correct that. Finger = 1.00 prs. Any way to let samsung know about this? Or maybe even a dev could try to fix that in a custom rom?

Verified on my P605. Probably the same cause of the problems I see when playing Angry Birds...

reubenskelly1992

Nov 24, 2013
I've noticed that when I hold things down or. Put my finger on a Web page

Sent from my SM-P600 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

dt33

Apr 11, 2010
I have this problem on mine SM-P605, notice on 1 days use and so far only with Chrome I notice this "shaking". Sometime after opened Chrome browser and top adress bar is shaking all the time. Even I dont hold the tab, the shaking stop if shut down Chrome and reopen it again. Thought it was Chrome browser issue and havent bother about it.

kkretch

Jan 1, 2013
near Pittsburgh

Not sure if that is the issue........

I have a GT-N8013 and a SM-P600, both units return the same numbers that your 2014 edition does but only my 2014 has the shake bug.

clouds5

Feb 8, 2011
Yeah well at this point it's just a wild theory :angel: could also be something else that is causing the problem and not the prs thing. But I'm pretty sure it's the driver being too sensitive or not accurate enough with finger input.
But we'll have to wait and hope for samsung to fix it with an update i guess. I just hope they are aware of the problem...

kkretch

Jan 1, 2013
near Pittsburgh
Yeah well at this point it's just a wild theory :angel: could also be something else that is causing the problem and not the prs thing. But I'm pretty sure it's the driver being too sensitive or not accurate enough with finger input.
But we'll have to wait and hope for samsung to fix it with an update i guess. I just hope they are aware of the problem...

I also think it is software and not a hardware issue.

hmukarram

Jan 23, 2014
hardware problem

I think it's a hardware problem because I replaced it to another unit and it doesn't have the shaking problem now. Although there is a dead pixel now.

clouds5

Feb 8, 2011
I think it's a hardware problem because I replaced it to another unit and it doesn't have the shaking problem now. Although there is a dead pixel now.

Same Firmware and everything? I know that the nexus 7 had similar issues and it was fixed via software update so I really hope Samsung will release a new firmware soon.
From all the information I've gathered so far I can't see how it could be a hardware issue. It's just too sensitive when you use your finger and the driver is buggy in other ways too(see multi-touch issue thread).
If not it should be covered by warranty anyway. But seeing how many people have the issue just here on xda (small sample size), that would be extremely bad quality assurance for such a flagship device.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Here's the thing. It's not a big deal but it's annoying. When I put my finger on the screen to hold something or slowly scrolling the screen, or more accuratly the item I'm holding, starts shaking sometimes very faintly.

Could there be a driver issue, too sensitive? I enabled pointer tracking in the dev options and the numbers jump around sometimes when holding something. So i guess that could be the problem.

Btw only happens with my fingers not with the spen. Maybe my fingers are too thick? Can you guys reproduce this? Its easy to reproduce with a solitaire klondike game where you have to move cards around.

[e] Just FYI: My device does not have the multitouch issues described in this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2491690
    Yeah I just recreated it on my device too - tbh I haven't noticed it until now so it doesn't bother me at all. But yeah probably is just too sensitive at slow scroll but no real idea tbh.
    I have it also... I found it yesterday when I used stock browser. I wanted to mark some text and holded finger on, it started to shake a little.. But for me it is not annoying.. and I think that is kind of characteristic for this "S-pen-able" screens..
    Thx :) You know I have the tablet for almost a month now and I'm trying to find out if there are any issues because I can't live without root any longer. So far no issues at all and it seems this shaking thing is just a common driver/spen issue nothing that might be a possible warranty case :) (other devices have it too, google told me so)

Think I'm gonna root this baby!