[Q] Will the Bootloader Guide work for 2013 8.9"

Search This thread

SKCwillie

Jan 29, 2014
I read through the guide and a lot of the comments but I was wondering if anyone has successfully rooted their device with the 2013 model. My guess it that it wouldn't work since I think the operating systems are different.

Also, if anyone has done so on Ubuntu or Linux? How do you deal with drivers? In order to root my Kindle I had to use a super old Toshiba running Vista because I was having driver issues.

Thanks in advance.

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
Linux has the drivers built in typically. The boot loader process doesn't work on the new ones, they will hard brick if you try. There is root access available, I believe it's in the 7" general section.

Edit: looking for link, don't think root exploit works between devices a, think it's specific per model, and I only see the 7" one offhand. They really need to separate the new kindle from the last one so this info is easier to find...

Edit2: in my confusion (still awk confused) I thought the xzecond gen HD was only available in a 7" model because of how the device is listed under support on their site. I'm kinda sleepy don't feel like remembering tonight.
Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD running CM10.1 Tablet UI using xda-developers app

Last edited:

SKCwillie

Jan 29, 2014
Cheers for the help.

I ended doing more research and even though I bought my Kindle Fire HD 8.9" in late 2013, I think when people say the 2013 Kindle Fire, they're referring to the HDX. Anyways, I went for it (after using ADB to confirm my device) and got the bootloader and cm11 (4.4) running on my Kindle!

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
Ah OK in that case you have a 2012 kindle fire hd so everything's good, that could have ended horribly if it hadn't been the case. Also there is a second gen HD kindle fire that we call the 2013 model and it isn't the hdx, unlike the kf2 that was a bit better then the kf1, the second gen hd's are kinda the opposite, the are the same except they took the camera out... And they are unflashable because we don't have a boot loader exploit for them.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD running CM10.1 Tablet UI using xda-developers app

Beaker319

Dec 20, 2013
WOW

Ah OK in that case you have a 2012 kindle fire hd so everything's good, that could have ended horribly if it hadn't been the case. Also there is a second gen HD kindle fire that we call the 2013 model and it isn't the hdx, unlike the kf2 that was a bit better then the kf1, the second gen hd's are kinda the opposite, the are the same except they took the camera out... And they are unflashable because we don't have a boot loader exploit for them.

I did not know that!! My Kindle Fire HD 8.9 has a camera. So it is a 2012 first generation. I have been looking all over the internet for this information.

Thank You!!

giderBey

Jul 15, 2009
A KFHD 2nd gen brick victim here

Hello all,

I have unfortunately learned too late that I have the 2nd gen device:(
So I own a brick now. But I want to try the usbboot aboot *abootloader* trick I found in the web.
Unfortunately I have backup of my system and forgot to pull the boot0block.img file from the pad:(
So I am serching a stock 8.4.6 bootloader for flashing it back if possible. But I didn't find any file yet, I am reading and serching till friday evening every page on xda and more :(
Can someone give me a link or even a freshly extraced loader???
I thank you in advance.
I will give a response of my try in the thread:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2010353&page=4

Have a nice day

giderBey