What are the differences between AT&T MK2 (4.3) & NB1 (4.4)?

Was AT&T TW 4.4.2 worth the wait and all the fuss?

• Yes, 4.4.2 is significantly better.

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • No, new but no real difference.

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

numbR7

Dec 1, 2011
via lactea
Since @rebel1699 gave AT&T users a way to expirence 4.4.2 and still maintain some control, I've loaded a few 4.4.2 ROMs. With just a cusary glance I don't see or feel much difference. I was hoping folks sharper than I would discuss this so I (and hopefully others might learn a thing or two). I do know they added a dir system/priv-app to store some apks, but don't know why? Maybe this could be answered first and get the ball rolling. Discuss.

SkywalkerZ

Sep 11, 2013
Light Side
U have to look in the perspective of what google thought at that time. Google implemented system/priv-app and this had to be continued by CM and other AOSP roms or else Google has all the rights to sue them. Only apks in /system/priv-app can use "system"-level permissions.(Thats what i think and i know. I might be wrong?)And as Touchwiz is just a skin ontop of Android, Samsung and other OEMs had to go with this.

Reactions: numbR7

numbR7

Dec 1, 2011
via lactea
U have to look in the perspective of what google thought at that time it implemented system/priv-app and this had to be continued by CM and other AOSP roms or else Google has all the rights to sue them. Only apks in /system/priv-app can use "system"-level permissions.(Thats what i think and i know. I might be wrong?)And as Touchwiz is just a skin ontop of Android, Samsung and other OEMs had to go with this.

Interesting observation. :good: Excellent start. One could expand on this issue as It relates to (Better, Worse or No Change). Maybe it could be disussed how this changes modding, etc...

Responses need not be technical in nature--although they are appreciated--opinions as to how you find the experience of using 4.3 vs 4.4 are greatly appreciated and informative.

This is a group discussion simply to share observations.

If you want, you can just vote in the poll. Names of thevvoters are private. EDIT:

Thank you fellow xda members and mobile phone users of all types and levels.

Last edited:

mg2195

Dec 5, 2011
RSM
Well...status bar now has white icons...theres a camera shortcut on the bottom right corner of the lockscreen. And the lockscreen when playing music is different...those are pretty obvious changes which im sure you've noticed already lololol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Raistlin1

Oct 1, 2010
KitKat changes the way apps can write to the SD card.

Does anyone know if you can still select the camera to save pics to external storage on KitKat? I don't have a card at the moment to test it out and would like to know before I give this phone to my wife.

Oh and BTW, my phone just updated to NB1 from MK2 by itself, I did not select anything to ok the install, just heard a noise on the phone and looked and it was installing.

numbR7

Dec 1, 2011
via lactea

Does anyone know if you can still select the camera to save pics to external storage on KitKat? I don't have a card at the moment to test it out and would like to know before I give this phone to my wife.

Oh and BTW, my phone just updated to NB1 from MK2 by itself, I did not select anything to ok the install, just heard a noise on the phone and looked and it was installing.

Check this you can get something back.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2616221

numbR7

Dec 1, 2011
via lactea
Well...status bar now has white icons...theres a camera shortcut on the bottom right corner of the lockscreen. And the lockscreen when playing music is different...those are pretty obvious changes which im sure you've noticed already lololol

This is all interesting stuff!:good:

numbR7

Dec 1, 2011
via lactea

OPEN QUESTION: How does kit kit change the phones communication/access with the micro SD card? Is this good for the user?

andrewdroid

Oct 19, 2010
New York, NY
Samsung Galaxy S21
OPEN QUESTION: How does kit kit change the phones communication/access with the micro SD card? Is this good for the user?

It's horrible for the user. Look at this link.

http://www.ibtimes.com/android-44-k...plained-root-access-fix-now-available-1562147

The way I was able to get the functionality back was by rooting (which is somewhat a pain on NB1) and using this method here.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2607215

I had to use method 2 since safestrap has issues flashing stuff to NB1.

Apparently this app also fixes it, but I haven't tried. But it still requires root.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=nextapp.sdfix

numbR7

Dec 1, 2011
via lactea

http://www.ibtimes.com/android-44-k...plained-root-access-fix-now-available-1562147

The way I was able to get the functionality back was by rooting (which is somewhat a pain on NB1) and using this method here.

Apparently this app also fixes it, but I haven't tried. But it still requires root.

This is extremely interesting! A few more "uprades" like this and we'll all be using the I-droid!

Last edited:

numbR7

Dec 1, 2011
via lactea
VOTE!!

Hey guys--Thanks for the comments so far.

If you don't feel like commenting how 'bout voting? Names are not recorded in any way.
A vote kinda says it in a nutshell!

So far, basically we have these diffetences:

1. White status bar icons.
2. Camera shortcut on lockscreen
3. Restricted access to microSDCard in 4.4.2 (and we learned how to regain access)

Last edited:

Guedeaux

Jan 13, 2014
houston
Since @rebel1699 gave AT&T users a way to expirence 4.4.2 and still maintain some control, I've loaded a few 4.4.2 ROMs. With just a cusary glance I don't see or feel much difference. I was hoping folks sharper than I would discuss this so I (and hopefully others might learn a thing or two). I do know they added a dir system/priv-app to store some apks, but don't know why? Maybe this could be answered first and get the ball rolling. Discuss.

I am interested to learn this as well. For a casual user, it looks very similar.

numbR7

Dec 1, 2011
via lactea
OK guys, let's get specific! If 4.4 is better than 4.3--why? If it's not--why? Come on, share! I really think we need to stop taking so-called uprades for granted! I've seen guys/gals almost in tears over losing their custom recovery (MK2) or access to their microSDCard (that btw, cost people their hard earned money). Remember what the commercial sez "knowledge is power!" I believe that is part of what xda was founded on--discovering and sharing knowledge. I know good people from around the globe have increased my knowledge and enriched my phoning experience (if "phoning"is a real word) Instead of just taking all the time, I'm trying to find away to help out however small. I have had the pleasure of communicating with all types of phone enthusiast and am better for it! Give a little--take a little--Discuss!

Oh yeah, as you can see from my signature I want to verbalize a shamless plug for Hyperdrive ROM v15--it's saved me so far during the "lock down." A hardy thanks to @sbreen94!

Last edited:

numbR7

Dec 1, 2011
via lactea
I am interested to learn this as well. For a casual user, it looks very similar.

If you enjoy the idea of owning your phone instead of it owning you, I encourage you continue reading everthing you can. Though there are a few people with poor communication skills-shall we say-the vast majority of the folks around here will help you learn and get the most out of that expensive rectangle you bought. Read one of those "everthing you need to know for noobs threads"--they are well done and will get you started out right. Enjoy my friend!

You will see a "1" on your thanks meter becuase I appreciate your showing interest--and in that way you have helped me!

Last edited:
Reactions: Guedeaux

Guedeaux

Jan 13, 2014
houston
Oh yeah, as you can see from my signature I want to verbalize a shamless plug for Hyperdrive ROM v15--it's saved me so far during the "lock down." A hardy thanks to @sbreen94!

Actually, one of the reasons I was interested in the update is because I can't get Hyperdrive to work properly. I don't want to derail this thread, but I posted in another thread with someone who was having similar issues with Hyperdrive. If you get a chance, and have a second, please check out this thread. I really love Hyperdrive, but if I can't get it to work, I am thinking about just unrooting and upgrading to kitkat (but I would rather use Hyperdrive). Thanks.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=51275339#post51275339

numbR7

Dec 1, 2011
via lactea
Well phone fans--when your thread drops off "General" to "Q&A" page 1 then drops a page a day--your thread has been bitten! This thread is now a "walker!" The merciful thing is a crossbow to the head from Daryl Dixon. LOL!

Thanks to the folks who contributed. I learned few things and I hope others did as well. Off topic -- I even got a chance to actually help someone with a significant problem. So, thanks for that--it's nice to be the helper rather than the helpee for a change.

Well Daryl, don't miss -- "LOOSE!!!! :eek:

tailgunner9

Apr 8, 2012
Jackson, Tn.
My AT&T S4 says camera pic to SD card and I am on NB1 4.4.2 It says it to Storage/extSdCard/ DCIM/ Camera Pictures camera takes are in there on my SD card. Have you gone into Camera settings and at bottom of list STORAGE is set to Memory Card, Not Device. Just keep hitting the Setting icon on each screen until you get to screen with Lacation Tag Review etc.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    U have to look in the perspective of what google thought at that time. Google implemented system/priv-app and this had to be continued by CM and other AOSP roms or else Google has all the rights to sue them. Only apks in /system/priv-app can use "system"-level permissions.(Thats what i think and i know. I might be wrong?)And as Touchwiz is just a skin ontop of Android, Samsung and other OEMs had to go with this.