HTC Mail HTML yes/no?

Search This thread

Sjengie

Dec 21, 2003
Hi, I keep getting mails telling me "I can not receive HTML"

is this true?
Does the Desire have no HTML mail capabilities?
It looks so cool on my Palm Pre, why cant I have it on the Desire ?

ardsar

May 21, 2007
Devon
HTML works fine. Make sure you have not selected "download text" only under the sync settings.

I assume you have also selected HTML format on your email server

Sjengie

Dec 21, 2003
thx, i am talking my gmail account

but where can i find the settings ?

Desire/settings/account&sync for google account only show:
sync calendar
sync contacts
sync gmail
no "donwload text" option

where do i select html format on email server ?

Sjengie

Dec 21, 2003
ok, i found the "text only", it comes with the 1kb and 5kb mail size limit settings

But why does the mail not auto-size everything full screen (vert/horz) to include the complete mail ?
Should not be a problem with 600x800 resolution?!
it (rendering) works fine on my palm pre (320x480) and by pinching and clicking one can zoom in/out.

in case of the desire the mail autosizes fine horizontally in landscape mode but not in portrait mode.

one cant have it all i guess ...

wvdmeer

Sep 20, 2007
For all my mail accounts this works, but does anyone know why I can't set this option to view HTML on my Exchange server mail account?
I can see the option, but I can't set it?!
Sent from my HTC Desire using the XDA mobile application powered by Tapatalk

ardsar

May 21, 2007
Devon
html is only supported on exchange 2007 or 2003 with service pack 2.

Sent from my HTC Desire using the XDA mobile application powered by Tapatalk

Jpcurrie

Jan 5, 2007
Exchange only supports HTML email via Activesync in 2007 RTM and above

So if you have a 2003 or older exchange server then HTML no worky.

S

Sjraar

Exchange only supports HTML email via Activesync in 2007 RTM and above

So if you have a 2003 or older exchange server then HTML no worky.

I wonder why it's not working. Before I used the exact same exchange account on my iPhone 3Gs and HTML was no problem at all. The server is running 2003. Now I'm just not able to change the mode from text-only to full HTML... Seems more like a softwareproblem or limitation which we should be able to work arround some how...

sub69

May 26, 2005
Sydney
The iPhone Exchange solution doesn't use ActiveSync does it? It's more of a workaround using the OWA connection if I remember correctly?

So it's possible that HTML mail is available even with Exchange Server 2003 if you're using an iPhone, but it certainly isn't if you're using an ActiveSync connection.

Might be wrong though, I've never even held an iPhone...

Thingymabob

Jul 26, 2008
iPhone, Android and Windows Mobile

I have used the iPhone 3GS, Touch Diamond (WM6.1) and HTC Desire (Android 2.1) all with Exchange ActiveSync (from Exchange Server 2003) and Hotmail and here's what I've found.

iPhone - displays HTML beautifully from both Exchange and Hotmail and syncronises all Exchange folders with any changes on the phone being reflected elsewhere. However, it downloads Hotmail using POP3 so you can only see the Inbox and e-mails sent from the phone and any changes made on the phone are not reflected elsewhere. I believe there is an app that sorts out the Hotmail problem but I haven't tried that.

Windows Mobile - as stated in previous posts Exchange does not support HTML format in "over the air" syncronisations so all you get with Exchange is plain text if using Exchange Server 2003. Hotmail can display HTML and also allows you to sync all folders with any changes on the phone being reflected elsewhere.

HTC Mail on Desire- Handles Exchange Mail like Windows Mobile (plain text) and Hotmail like iPhone (via POP3 so only Inbox and no "proper" sync). In other words it seems to take the worst of both worlds.

What frustrates me is that the technology clearly exists to allow Exchange (using Exchnage Server 2003) to display HTML and to allow Hotmail to Sync properly. If all of these companies got together (some chance) and let the others licence their tecnology then the end user (me!) would be able to own whatever phone they wanted and have Exchange working like it does on the the iPhone and Hotmail working like it does on Windows Mobile.

Maybe one of these days!