[Q] Rooted Incredible w/ Cyanogenmod 7, stuck in boot loop, can't boot to recovery

Search This thread

bluedimensional123

Sep 4, 2011
nashville
hello all, my first post.
I have incredible, rooted, with cyanogenmod 7. it has been working as normal for months and months. the other day, it just got stuck in the boot animation. i hadn't changed anything, system tweaks, etc, right before this.

i hold volume down and press power, and it goes to bootloader mode. normally here, i can select RECOVERY, and then goes to the black screen, where i could do many things, drastic as wipe the phone, reinstall cyanogenmod, g-apps, etc.

whats my problem now, is that when i hold power down and power and get to the white recovery screen, if i select RECOVERY, it doesnt go where it used to. it goes to the OTHER white screen where choices are, REBOOT, POWER DOWN, etc. So i select to go into recovery mode (the black screen) but it never goes there now. Always did before. Just goes to that next white screen, letting me reboot and start the cycle over again. I've tried with no SC card, no difference.

I found a post someone giving specific directions to format sd card, put radio update only on card, and boot with that in phone. I did, and it successfully said it updated, but still nothing has changed.

I cant get into recovery mode, to reformat, wipe, run any updates, nothing. I've tried so many times i can't even guess. I think it has become a brick. But I finally posted here hoping i may find some advice.

Anyone have any ideas of what i can do, if i can get into recovery mode?

if this helps, this all the info on the white screen - holding power down and powering on:

HBOOT-0.92.0000
MICORP-0417
TOUCH PANEL-ATMELC03_16ac
RADIO-2.15.00.0000
Jul 23 2010, 10:06:51

thanks,
ben

Last edited:

patsfan1130

Oct 21, 2010
Boston
Have you tried installing the latest recovery through ROM manager? I've no idea why this would have happened but if we can get you there. We can fix it

Sent from my ADR6300 using xda premium

bluedimensional123

Sep 4, 2011
nashville
Flash this thru hboot. It the latest cwm recovery. You are s-off right?Also the radio version you posted above 2.15.00.0000, is that a typo? I have never seen that radio version before.

excuse my noob-ness, term-wise, i don't know what s-off means.

i will try the link to latest cwm recovery zip, next.

and thats not a typo, 2.15.00.0000 is what it says!

bluedimensional123

Sep 4, 2011
nashville
excuse my noob-ness, term-wise, i don't know what s-off means.

i will try the link to latest cwm recovery zip, next.

and thats not a typo, 2.15.00.0000 is what it says!

ok that update worked! because its been a minute, and i'm so hyped to fix this, i am proceeding with extra extra caution; so, remind me what to choose here - i just don't want to get back into that loop. If i need to wipe phone's data, that's fine. My phone will be working and that makes me ecstatic!

bluedimensional123

Sep 4, 2011
nashville
ok that update worked! because its been a minute, and i'm so hyped to fix this, i am proceeding with extra extra caution; so, remind me what to choose here - i just don't want to get back into that loop. If i need to wipe phone's data, that's fine. My phone will be working and that makes me ecstatic!
  • reboot system now
  • apply update from sdcard
  • wipe data / factory reset
  • wipe cache partition
  • install zip from sdcard
  • backup and restore
  • mounts and storage
  • advanced
  • power off

i assume choose apply update from sdcard, and run latest cyanogenmod zip, then g-apps, etc...am i right?

cmlusco

Nov 20, 2010
Michigan City, IN
  • reboot system now
  • apply update from sdcard
  • wipe data / factory reset
  • wipe cache partition
  • install zip from sdcard
  • backup and restore
  • mounts and storage
  • advanced
  • power off

i assume choose apply update from sdcard, and run latest cyanogenmod zip, then g-apps, etc...am i right?

S-off is security off. It allows you to flash images not signed by HTC. At the top of the hboot screen it should say either s-on or s-off. If it let tou flash cwm recovery you are s-off.

Yes enter recovery, wipe everything in mounts and storage and either flash a stock ruu thru hboot, or flash a rom of your choosing. Do not choose aply update.zip choose install from sdcard, and select your roms zip file.

I would also flash a new radio thru hboot, as i have never seen that version of radio for the incredible. http://dinc.does-it.net/Radios.

Last edited:

bluedimensional123

Sep 4, 2011
nashville
S-off is security off. It allows you to flash images not signed by HTC. At the top of the hboot screen it should say either s-on or s-off. If it let tou flash cwm recovery you are s-off.

Yes enter recovery, wipe everything in mounts and storage and either flash a stock ruu thru hboot, or flash a rom of your choosing. Do not choose aply update.zip choose install from sdcard, and select your roms zip file.

I would also flash a new radio thru hboot, as i have never seen that version of radio for the incredible. http://dinc.does-it.net/Radios.

ok, so here's where I'm at now:
updated radio via hboot via last link posted. i can now get to recovery screen, which is awesome, but - i can select any of the options and select one, and then it goes to a black screen with the ROM manager hat logo, with a yellow arrow under it. The arrow does not move or rotate, as if it was processing my command. it just sits idle on that logo forever.

i can hit power to go back to the recovery menu, and selecting nothing, well, does anything!

any ideas? just far your replies have gotten me past the loop i was in, so i eagerly hope there's more input for me now as to why none of the options in recovery screen process when i select them, they just go to a logo with the hat and an arrow (remember, the arrow isn't moving at all).

btw its ClockworkMod Recovery v 5.0.2.0

thanks again,
ben

cmlusco

Nov 20, 2010
Michigan City, IN
ok, so here's where I'm at now:
updated radio via hboot via last link posted. i can now get to recovery screen, which is awesome, but - i can select any of the options and select one, and then it goes to a black screen with the ROM manager hat logo, with a yellow arrow under it. The arrow does not move or rotate, as if it was processing my command. it just sits idle on that logo forever.

i can hit power to go back to the recovery menu, and selecting nothing, well, does anything!

any ideas? just far your replies have gotten me past the loop i was in, so i eagerly hope there's more input for me now as to why none of the options in recovery screen process when i select them, they just go to a logo with the hat and an arrow (remember, the arrow isn't moving at all).

btw its ClockworkMod Recovery v 5.0.2.0

thanks again,
ben

Do not use the power button to select items in recovery. Use the vol keys to navigate, the trackball to select, and the power button goes back.

metasyn

Feb 28, 2012
California
same thing

i had the exact same thing just last week - stuck on bootloop with cyanogen 7. I tried some stuff for a little but ended up just switching to an ICS rom. which I am much happier with and would highly recommend.

right now im using ICS-Deck AOKP "Ice Cream Sandwich"
(http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1475936)

and just for your own resource, this page is pretty useful! list of roms and radios and kernals and all sorts of other goodies
(http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=969371)

bluedimensional123

Sep 4, 2011
nashville
thank you for helping me out. every post helped, and i got my old faithful incredible up and running!

completely awesome.

thanks.

p.s. in recovery, pressing trackball to select, i would never have tried. amazing sometimes the simplest things can slow us down. many thanks!

ben

allyboo93

Apr 7, 2012
htc incredible stuck in cyanogenmod 7 boot loop

My Htc incredible is stuck in cyanogenmod 7 boot loop at first my apps kept saying failed force close then when i went to send a txt it said messaging app failed force close so i tried shutting my phone off and pulling the battery but it still wouldn't work so reset my phone but that's when it got stuck in cyanogenmod 7 boot loop and now i cant get it to do anything at all its just keeps repeating the cyanogen mod 7 boot screen is there anyway to fix this

cmlusco

Nov 20, 2010
Michigan City, IN
My Htc incredible is stuck in cyanogenmod 7 boot loop at first my apps kept saying failed force close then when i went to send a txt it said messaging app failed force close so i tried shutting my phone off and pulling the battery but it still wouldn't work so reset my phone but that's when it got stuck in cyanogenmod 7 boot loop and now i cant get it to do anything at all its just keeps repeating the cyanogen mod 7 boot screen is there anyway to fix this

Can you enter recovery? If so wipe everything in mounts and storrage except emmc and sdcard, and then restore a known good backup or flash a rom fresh. If that dosent work i would do an ruu.

run71324

Aug 5, 2011
i was able to do all the listed in this thread. but after 2 days of searching i still can't find a good solution for formatting /data, I get an error everytime and cm7 is the only rom that I can boot on my dinc. however when i think i have fresh flash, some of my old apps are still there.
if i ruu i get stuck on the red eye screen and the phone reboots.
I'm at a loss

eidt
i am root with s-off
cwm 5.0.2.0

Last edited: