Followed video tut for rooting, now i'm lost. What's a ROM, and where do I start?

Search This thread

hechoen

May 7, 2011
What if your restoring something you already flashed? All right back on topic. OP eriks a smart dude and he'll hook you up.

Wodensman

Apr 22, 2012
Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra
big, BIG, HUGE thanks to erik!!!! Very friendly, and very detailed. I know what I'm on about now. That guy is great help. Good hearted, to boot. Lumines, and erik, you guys freakin rock. I love this ROM, it's beautiful. I'm going to be a member here as long as I have a phone that will run Android, lol. If either of you guys ever need some free PS work, HIT ME UP!!i I want to repay with something useful too!

Anyways, one thing to the folks who make guides:
I'm use a pre-paid SIM, as I don't ever use my phone to talk, just A LOT of text, for which, plans are dirt cheap. As far as data, I have wi-fi everywhere I go, but on the road, so I never worry about that. In your guides, maybe you could put a warning of some kind, that when the phone boots up into the new ROM, you might want to skip the google account set up, and go straight into the setting and disable carrier data, and enable your wi-fi FIRST THING. I know pre-paid users around here virtually don't exist. But they are somewhere! it outed me $5.86, before I caught on. Not a big deal, and still totally worth it.

Thank you all again, SO MUCH!

Beastmode

Dec 28, 2010
Los Angeles
big, BIG, HUGE thanks to erik!!!! Very friendly, and very detailed. I know what I'm on about now. That guy is great help. Good hearted, to boot. Lumines, and erik, you guys freakin rock. I love this ROM, it's beautiful. I'm going to be a member here as long as I have a phone that will run Android, lol. If either of you guys ever need some free PS work, HIT ME UP!!i I want to repay with something useful too!

Anyways, one thing to the folks who make guides:
I'm use a pre-paid SIM, as I don't ever use my phone to talk, just A LOT of text, for which, plans are dirt cheap. As far as data, I have wi-fi everywhere I go, but on the road, so I never worry about that. In your guides, maybe you could put a warning of some kind, that when the phone boots up into the new ROM, you might want to skip the google account set up, and go straight into the setting and disable carrier data, and enable your wi-fi FIRST THING. I know pre-paid users around here virtually don't exist. But they are somewhere! it outed me $5.86, before I caught on. Not a big deal, and still totally worth it.

Thank you all again, SO MUCH!

Thank Raverx3x as well he made the rom :p

if you ain't first you're last :)

Wodensman

Apr 22, 2012
Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra
Ok. I'm loving the ROM. I can play GTA 3, almost lag-free! It probably would be completely lag free if I wouldn't have put GO launcher back on the phone? Is there a launcher that uses less resources, but lets me customize 'effects'? Or, what launchers would people suggest, when using this?

lumin30

Oct 19, 2011
I use GoLauncher EX and love it. Go back to the guide and try flashing a tweak if you haven't already done that.

lumin30

Oct 19, 2011
Raver may have added WiFi Calling back. There is a bug in DSP Manaver to where if you utilize tbe equalizer it will cause music to skip while playing.

How does your phone seem when using? Fast? Smooth? If so, don't worry about RAM usage. One thing you can do however is look into the app Gemini App Manager or AutoStarts and block some non system apps from autostarting when your phone boots or at other times when you don't need them running.

Get rid of WiFi Calling if you don't use it. It is a battery, ram, etc drainer.

C

chris31jct

I think it's simpler to use the Gremlin Remover, then put Valhalla Black FB Rom in SD Card, boot into CWM and the flash VB FB from there. It makes backups and its just like 5 steps and in about 10 mins can be done.

For launcher I use Zeam since last year summer, very simple and fast.

lumin30

Oct 19, 2011
I think it's simpler to use the Gremlin Remover, then put Valhalla Black FB Rom in SD Card, boot into CWM and the flash VB FB from there. It makes backups and its just like 5 steps and in about 10 mins can be done.
Gremlin Remover doesn't have bootloaders. He was on a fresh install of stock KJ6 when he flashed the kernel then VB. Why the need for Gremlin Remover again?

Last edited:

lumin30

Oct 19, 2011
Deleting WiFi Calling won't cause your phone to slow down. Just reboot and see what happens.

And it isn't an "os app." I don't have it nor do many others.

lumin30

Oct 19, 2011
Much better ;)

And glad to help even though Senor Seniority kept butting in! Haha

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Look at my guide that i have linked in my sig and read through the second post to find a custom rom that you like (i suggest Valhalla Black) and my guide tells you how to flash it. If you have questions, feel free to ask in the guide thread or pm me

And I believe the 3d cubes are part of SPB Shell launcher

Sent from my SGH-T959V using xda premium
    Be sure to keep your ODIN and Heimdall ports seperate. You can get by with CWM for custom ROM's now except to recover or clean your phone up. Read the Gremlin Remover thread to consider using after a custom ROM flash or two. Your other option is KJ6 Heimdall One-Click.
    Did you read the guide in the first link in my signature as suggested above?

It is best to start fresh when flashing a new ROM. A lot of apps have back up features within the app for settings and such (i.e. GoLauncher).

I recommend Valhalla Black. But all the 2.3.6 ROM's are great.

No restrictions. Except maybe watching movies in the market on rooted devices.
    I mean with your apps. Factory reset won't unroot you. It isn't a bad idea to do a factory reset between flashings as a precautionary measure.

You shouldn't have to unlock again either.