Where are the webOS users?

Search This thread

Divine_Madcat

Retired Forum Moderator
Sep 9, 2005
USA
I use only webos on my touchpad and see no reason to use cm9.

Having used Cm9 and webOS, it blows my mind to see people still prefer the latter. There is nothing webOS does better, and a ton of things it does worse (browsing.... uggggg). If you plan on sticking with the tp, you may as well adopt the better os, and get good community support ..

eyeb

Mar 6, 2011
I dont know... I used to prefer android... I like the apps :S lol
but as I've been using webos lately, I find that I kind of prefer it more now... except for said lack of apps :S

now I just have to wait for someone to figure out how to port android market onto webos and I'll be happy as a clam :) not that I'm unhappy now with both but that would be my dream tablet lol, or wait till someone points me in direction so I can learn how to do it, then hold my hand while I do it lol

jsgraphicart

Nov 25, 2011
OnePlus 7T
Google Pixel 7 Pro
I dont know... I used to prefer android... I like the apps :S lol
but as I've been using webos lately, I find that I kind of prefer it more now... except for said lack of apps :S

now I just have to wait for someone to figure out how to port android market onto webos and I'll be happy as a clam :) not that I'm unhappy now with both but that would be my dream tablet lol, or wait till someone points me in direction so I can learn how to do it, then hold my hand while I do it lol

I prefer the webOS UI over androids too. The lack of apps is the only thing holding it back in my opinion. A port of the android market wont get you the apps though. Apps are made specifically for an OS.

Sent from my MB870 using Tapatalk

Joeb2751

Apr 5, 2011
Monroe, IN
Having used Cm9 and webOS, it blows my mind to see people still prefer the latter. There is nothing webOS does better, and a ton of things it does worse (browsing.... uggggg). If you plan on sticking with the tp, you may as well adopt the better os, and get good community support ..

Nothing?? How about battery life? At least on my TP, WebOS gives me far better battery life than CM9. If only cm could match webOS in that area, I'd be happy.

Divine_Madcat

Retired Forum Moderator
Sep 9, 2005
USA
Nothing?? How about battery life? At least on my TP, WebOS gives me far better battery life than CM9. If only cm could match webOS in that area, I'd be happy.

Frankly, for what i do, i have not seen a huge difference. If there is one, for me it doesn't matter, given how much webOS sucks. Im sorry, but it sucks.

Compared to CM9, the multitasking is annoying (yay.. who doesn't love cycling though windows, and then having to find the right card in the stack..). One touch of a button, and all my active apps are right there; i can close em with a swipe, and jump to the one i want. I don't have to minimize the current app to use it either, which is so nice.

The only browser on WebOS is PAINFUL. It doesn't load pages right, and that god awful rubberband effect if you move to the border of a page. Every window gets a new stupid card, rather than a tab like every other good browser. "Advanced Browser" is anything but; not to mention getting to pay for the stock browser slightly tweaked.. yeah..

So, worse multitasking, worse browser, and no apps..... so why would i use it?

Reactions: Rusty James

zanderman112

Oct 6, 2010
SouthEast USA
www.twitter.com
I use both CM9(w/ Cornerstone build 1.4) and webOS. CM9 is the "daily" but about once a week I load up webOS, update the apps, and use it as normal. I've found substitutes for many android apps on it. Communities in place of Tapatalk, an RSS reader with a nice ui in place of Pulse Reader, Project Macaw and Spaz HD in place of Twitter. I can easily use webOS for a few days.

~E.R.A.

jsgraphicart

Nov 25, 2011
OnePlus 7T
Google Pixel 7 Pro
I use both CM9(w/ Cornerstone build 1.4) and webOS. CM9 is the "daily" but about once a week I load up webOS, update the apps, and use it as normal. I've found substitutes for many android apps on it. Communities in place of Tapatalk, an RSS reader with a nice ui in place of Pulse Reader, Project Macaw and Spaz HD in place of Twitter. I can easily use webOS for a few days.

~E.R.A.

If you like cornerstone, have you tried glimpse for webOS?

And yes, almost anything on android has a substitute for it on webOS. Its just not a big name developer.

Sent from my MB870 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jsntrenkler

Feb 13, 2009
Palm Desert, California
I run both operating systems. I love webos, the apps they do have look very nice and function well. There is a bunch more lag on webos however cm9 is super speedy and works well. I just installed the nightly and the have made a lot of fixes since my initial flash.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2

Bagbug

Apr 4, 2012
Earth
webOS is an half baked product. The browser and the PDF reader are a joke. The UI feels like Windows 3.1, no customization what so ever.

And the worst of all, NO APPS !

I installed CM9 on my 3 TP a month ago and since then, no one here wants to use webOS anymore.

Reactions: Divine_Madcat

jsgraphicart

Nov 25, 2011
OnePlus 7T
Google Pixel 7 Pro
I WANT to use webOS but the lack of development sucks. The OS itself works great and is, in my opinion, still the best. I dont know why people say the browser sucks. I can search things just fine. But again, if there was more development, there would be more browsers to choose from. Overall, the ONLY thing that sucks with webOS is development.

lhkjohn

Aug 3, 2011
Orange County
I WANT to use webOS but the lack of development sucks. The OS itself works great and is, in my opinion, still the best. I dont know why people say the browser sucks. I can search things just fine. But again, if there was more development, there would be more browsers to choose from. Overall, the ONLY thing that sucks with webOS is development.

This.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

byanto88

Apr 24, 2012
AUH

Agree with yours. WebOS need more developers to work on it. You know from Application Developers point of view, the famous OS become, more developers will develop the application for it. It happens now for Android and iPad/iPhone apps. Everywhere, we'll see apps for Android and iPad/iPhone, but not many for WebOS.

Hopefully after WebOS fully open source, and many phone manufacture adopted the WebOS on their mobile device, we'll see the WebOS apps started to be popular.
Time will tell this story, so just be patient to wait and see a good progress for it. :)

quarlow

Feb 6, 2008
Tooele, UT
I agree webOS is a great OS, the thing that's lacking is apps. I thought the browser was good. It was hands down better than anything you could do in CM7. With ICS we have some better choices, but the webOS browser at least renders correct, and supports flash.

I don't think webOS will see a revival. Its the chicken vs egg problem. No one wants to develop apps if there are no users, and no one wants to use it if there are no apps. Microsoft has the same problem with WP7. But, Microsoft has a history of good dev support, and lots on money to throw at it. I think if Nokia bought palm instead of HP, webOS might have survived, in hindsight that looks like a perfect match. Nokia needed fresh software, Palm needed someone used to large scale production, with money and resources.

Meanwhile RIM thinks BB10 will save them. Maybe when RIM wakes up they could pick up webOS for their devices, but I think android is likelier. I think RIM is destined to license their OS to others and die, or fork their own build of android and die slower.

The mobile OS scene is crowded. And I think webOS's opportunity has come and gone. Getting back in now, with zero development (from HP), will be insurmountable.

Sent from my Galaxy S II (i777)

ricklynchcore

Apr 14, 2012
I purchased my TP to use with webos, however, I gave CM9 a try, and I must say I've never looked back. Incredibly more productive, full range of Apps with immediate support. K-9 email client. What more could I ask for. Sorry, but if I were developer, why would I develop for webos, when, I imagine, so many of us are using Android. All I know is my Touchpad is getting a lot more use with Android.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2

tensuke

Aug 4, 2010
Compared to CM9, the multitasking is annoying (yay.. who doesn't love cycling though windows, and then having to find the right card in the stack..). One touch of a button, and all my active apps are right there; i can close em with a swipe, and jump to the one i want. I don't have to minimize the current app to use it either, which is so nice.

Except WebOS has actual multitasking versus Android's "implementation." The recent apps list is just that; they are not currently open apps, you aren't closing them by swiping away. You are removing them from the list. The more apps you switch to the more you gamble the fate of the one you had open. Eventually, after one app, or two, or maybe three, Android will decide it needs more memory and close the app you had open before. The next time you open it, it will either restart or, if the developer had the foresight, reload the state before you switched out of it. WebOS, by comparison, will not kill an app no matter how many you open up. Saying that WebOS has 'worse multitasking' than Android is ignoring the fact that Android doesn't have real multitasking to begin with.

/apologies if this sounds too critical, going from an n900 to android leaves a bit of a bad taste in my mouth regarding multitasking :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I used webOS exclusively until ICS. At least webOS was tablet optimized. CM7 was unbearable to me. webOS is intuitive, stable, snappy, and smooth. The default browser in webOS renders well and handles flash great. Advanced browser added some nice features.

You will find a lot more talk of people using the TouchPad on webOS at webOS nation, formerly precentral. They also have a lot more guides about webOS optimization, like over clocking, preware, and more. XDA is dominated by android, so it makes sense most of the users here run ICS. I have a brother in law that bought a TouchPad at full price before the fire sale. He loves it and webOS, he didn't know you could put Android on it.

To me it comes down to use. I use my tablet for almost 90% web browsing. On GB web browsing was terrible. But ICS brings solid web browsing that I feel is faster than the webOS browser. Then while I'm in there I get to plug into my Google stuff easier.

Sent from my Galaxy S II (i777)
    I used webOS for as long as it was reasonable to do so - but CM9 is clearly a better choice for almost anyone. I tweaked and fiddled and played with webOS to get the most seamless experience possible, spending a TON of time on it, and in the end it's just a ton of effort expended to bring the device up to "adequate". Most of the fixes and tweaks etc that I recommended should have been baked into the code for webOS -years- ago. It's really a shame how hard they dropped the ball - and this is coming from someone who's been a webOS convert since I bought my very first pre- on launch day and has put up with all the negatives. SOOOOOO much promise, massive failure to deliver. I can't help but feel like even the open-source effort is a bit slow and stalling, and the timeline on this is doing nothing but sending experienced devs who -were- webOS faithful on to other devices.

As it sits, the touchpad running CM9 is one of the most capable ICS-equipped tablets on the market. It's a beast in terms of CPU, graphics, screen, etc. The newest nightlies run beautifully. I can't see any reason why a TP owner wouldn't want CM9 installed on their touchpad. Even if you still use webOS (I do from time to time), having CM9 on there is a no-brainer. 20 seconds and you've rebooted into CM9 ready to use it's vast array of apps, enjoy a much more capable web browsing experience, and generally massively improve the usefulness of your tablet. There's no downside.

That's why the webOS users are a bit sparse, and that's a trend I only see continuing.
    Does anyone in this forum actually use webOS or is everyone just using Android on their Touchpad? I just got my Touchpad yesterday so I havent been around these forums much until now. I just see everyone talking about Cyanogenmod and everything else that has to do with Android. I would like to start some webOS talk if anyone is interested.

The problem with WebOS is that it has been discontinued, is not as versatile as Android, and has like no apps compared with Android.

I have used both on the touchpad, and I can guarantee you if you flashed CM9 and dual-booted both OS's for one day each, you'd stick to Android after that.

There's not a whole lot to talk about WebOS, it's nice, but it's obsolete.
    videos are a bit hopeless on quite a few versions of android, so i stick with WebOS for watching movies and stuff via VPN, internet is a grey area, sometimes i prefer when webOS just works as opposed to android browser throwing a fit.
    apps.....yh android is 100 times better now that we have ICS
    I purchased my Touchpad during the initial fire sale, with the goal of installing Android on it. I found that I actually like WebOS, so I never installed Android and don't plan on it at this point. I don't care that there are not as many apps on WebOS as there are on Android. I have an Android phone and Galaxy Tab, and don't have very many apps installed on either one of those either. I like how smooth and intuitive that WebOS is, and I love it's interface. So, WebOS is a keeper for me.

If I ever feel like I absolutely have to have an ICS device, then I'll just go out and purchase one with the OS already installed on it (provided that it's a decent price).