[Q] Newb With Rooting Questions

Search This thread
Feb 13, 2013
Hey guys I just joined the site a few days ago after being sent here by some guys from some Audio forums, which is my main hobby. I guess you could say Im kind of a techy but am just now getting in to laptop building and things like that so I am still a newb. Anyways I just got the HTC DNA which I like quite a bit but Id like a little more out of it such as little better battery life, more customization, and to get rid of the bloat ware installed. On that note however I have never done anything much with phones since this is my first Droid after using Iphones which is why Im starting this thread...

I have been reading around and am still quite lost as to what I need to do to get what I wanted (battery life, customization, and to get rid of bloatware). I really like the ViperDNA ROM after watching the video but not sure if....
1. It will do what I want?
2. How to install it/make it run properly?
3. If there is something better?

So if you guys could walk me through what it takes to run something like that I would greatly appreciate you helping out some one new to this whole "Rooting" thing since this is my first Droid... If I can return the favor by helping out with your Car audio or talking guns with anyone Id be glad to!

Last edited:

TJMac44

Feb 17, 2011
Hey guys I just joined the site a few days ago after being sent here by some guys from some Audio forums, which is my main hobby. I guess you could say Im kind of a techy but am just now getting in to laptop building and things like that so I am still a newb. Anyways I just got the HTC DNA which I like quite a bit but Id like a little more out of it such as little better battery life, more customization, and to get rid of the bloat ware installed. On that note however I have never done anything much with phones since this is my first Droid after using Iphones which is why Im starting this thread...

I have been reading around and am still quite lost as to what I need to do to get what I wanted (battery life, customization, and to get rid of bloatware). I really like the ViperDNA ROM after watching the video but not sure if....
1. It will do what I want?
2. How to install it/make it run properly?
3. If there is something better?

So if you guys could walk me through what it takes to run something like that I would greatly appreciate you helping out some one new to this whole "Rooting" thing since this is my first Droid... If I can return the favor by helping out with your Car audio or talking guns with anyone Id be glad to!

I love the ViperRom! It has every customization imaginable and is very professional looking. It helps with battery life but you can use pretty much any kernel you want with a rom and that probably has as much or more affect on battery life. You need to be rooted and have adb installed on your pc - are you to this point yet?

Here is a good link by droidmodd3rx that walks through most things on video. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2012346

Also did you accept Verizon ota update in the last week? If so I am not sure you can root yet, they will have to work out a new method for that.

Feb 13, 2013
I love the ViperRom! It has every customization imaginable and is very professional looking. It helps with battery life but you can use pretty much any kernel you want with a rom and that probably has as much or more affect on battery life. You need to be rooted and have adb installed on your pc - are you to this point yet?

Here is a good link by droidmodd3rx that walks through most things on video. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2012346

Also did you accept Verizon ota update in the last week? If so I am not sure you can root yet, they will have to work out a new method for that.

It asked me today if I wanted to update and I held off since I read something about it not working with the new update... So Im still on the 1.15.605.4 Software number...

clarasmom

Feb 20, 2013
North Carolina
Newer "B" than Better-n-Reverse!

Also what is this ADB I need to have installed on my PC?

This is my second Droid phone, but I am interested in rooting this beast (HTC DNA). But I think I might temporarily be out of luck as my Software Number is 2.04.605.2 71 ORD.

I'll sit tight if this is true, but once there is a rooting option for this update can someone PLEASE, please, please post a V-E-R-Y detailed and simplified method for rooting?

I have to do whatever it take to get rid of "DROOOIIIDDD" on start up. Seroiously, that is my primary reason for looking into this rooting business. I'm such a sad case :eek:

Cheers!

Feb 13, 2013
It looks like its quite the long process if you don't have SDK and ADP already installed which you will need to unlock the bootloader...

TJMac44

Feb 17, 2011
It looks like its quite the long process if you don't have SDK and ADP already installed which you will need to unlock the bootloader...

Here is a guide for installing adb
http://www.jailbreakeye.com/android/install-adb-fastboot

Here is a video that I went by to install my adb
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaNM-lt_aHw

Here is page for new easy way to unlock bootloader
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2109862

And here is page with video guides to Root, install custom recovery and install kernels and Roms.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2012346

You also need to install usb drivers on your pc. If you have't already done so you can get them here
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2000896

It seems overwhelming but it really isn't if you read/watch things carefully and follow instructions it is pretty easy and fun.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2013

And here is page with video guides to Root, install custom recovery and install kernels and Roms.

You also need to install usb drivers on your pc. If you have't already done so you can get them here

It seems overwhelming but it really isn't if you read/watch things carefully and follow instructions it is pretty easy and fun.

Thanks for putting all that together for me! What is the purpose of the USB drivers?

Feb 13, 2013
Well I followed the video exactly and I cant get ADP to run when I type in ADP the command still and have double checked everything...

TJMac44

Feb 17, 2011
Well I followed the video exactly and I cant get ADP to run when I type in ADP the command still and have double checked everything...

depending on what you named your directories are you going to the platform-tools directory? you need to type adb not adp, lower case not caps, and then there needs to be a command after adb. Try adb devices.

Feb 13, 2013
depending on what you named your directories are you going to the platform-tools directory? you need to type adb not adp, lower case not caps, and then there needs to be a command after adb. Try adb devices.

I believe so...

You set up your system variables crooectly?

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using xda app-developers app

Like I said I followed that vid exactly so...

It's adb not adp

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using XDA Premium HD app

Ya thats what I meant just wasnt paying attention last night

Feb 13, 2013
Well I got it unlocked finally but now when I go to flash the Recovery I just get an error... Sometimes the "emulator" one, "waiting on the device" , Or just cant the find file... Just doing it straight from the comand I open in the file or using Hansoon2000's tool...

ASAPscotty

Feb 22, 2013
Quick question

Hey, going to do a little thread jacking here. It seems like this would be the best place to ask my question. I'm a long-time iOS user that just switched and silly me accepted the OTA 2.04.605 update. Now, if I performed a hard reset wouldn't that put my software back to its factory settings and would allow me to unlock my bootloader? Sorry if this annoying just trying to make sure it'll work before I go through the hassle of restoring. Thanks for any help!

drumz0rz

Mar 22, 2011
Well I got it unlocked finally but now when I go to flash the Recovery I just get an error... Sometimes the "emulator" one, "waiting on the device" , Or just cant the find file... Just doing it straight from the comand I open in the file or using Hansoon2000's tool...
Your phone needs to be in fastboot for you to find it. Connect the phone, boot into the bootloader, enter fastboot, open a new command prompt, and try "fastboot devices". you should see the phone.

If you can't find the file then you're not in the right directory. Make sure you navigate to the folder that contains the file then run the command. (or you can just give it the full path to the file)

Hey, going to do a little thread jacking here. It seems like this would be the best place to ask my question. I'm a long-time iOS user that just switched and silly me accepted the OTA 2.04.605 update. Now, if I performed a hard reset wouldn't that put my software back to its factory settings and would allow me to unlock my bootloader? Sorry if this annoying just trying to make sure it'll work before I go through the hassle of restoring. Thanks for any help!

No, I don't think that'll help. The factory reset basically wipes memory and restores the original ROM. The OTA updates the radios / kernel. But don't quote me on that. I'll let a dev who knows better comment.

Last edited:

ASAPscotty

Feb 22, 2013
No, I don't think that'll help. The factory reset basically wipes memory and restores the original ROM. The OTA updates the radios / kernel. But don't quote me on that. I'll let a dev who knows better comment.

I think you are right because I have not heard of anyone suggesting this, and it was just my noob idea! Thanks for the help.

jasoraso

May 24, 2007
Salt Lake City, UT

This question has been answered, but I thought I'd provide a little more detail to their answers:

On android, the memory is divided into several partitions (you might think of it like different disk drives), including a /boot, /system, and /data partition. The /boot partition is where the kernel (the heart of the android o/s) resides; the /system (where the bulk of the android o/s resides); the /data is where your apps and personal data reside. The /boot and /system partitions require system administrator level rights in order to change the information stored there (the system administrator account on android/linux is known as "root" or "superuser").

The update that came from VZW changed elements in the /system and /boot directories, using a superuser key to grant the update permission to change the files on those partitions.

Unfortunately, a factory reset only essentially re-formats the /data partition, wiping out all the user information stored there, but doesn't change the /system or /boot partitions.

The root process essentially hacks the device to gain system administrator rights to the android phone, using exploits in the android o/s. This is essentially a cat and mouse game. The update sent by VZW/HTC patches the exploits that were used to gain root access (that is why it is always dangerous to accept updates from VZW/HTC).

Hopefully the developers on this website will be able to find another exploit/weakness, and provide a way for those who have phones that have the update to obtain root, unlock the bootloader (another partition), and gain s-off (another level of turning a security flag to "off" so that even more partitions can be accessed/changed (ie.the /radio partition).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

This question has been answered, but I thought I'd provide a little more detail to their answers:

On android, the memory is divided into several partitions (you might think of it like different disk drives), including a /boot, /system, and /data partition. The /boot partition is where the kernel (the heart of the android o/s) resides; the /system (where the bulk of the android o/s resides); the /data is where your apps and personal data reside. The /boot and /system partitions require system administrator level rights in order to change the information stored there (the system administrator account on android/linux is known as "root" or "superuser").

The update that came from VZW changed elements in the /system and /boot directories, using a superuser key to grant the update permission to change the files on those partitions.

Unfortunately, a factory reset only essentially re-formats the /data partition, wiping out all the user information stored there, but doesn't change the /system or /boot partitions.

The root process essentially hacks the device to gain system administrator rights to the android phone, using exploits in the android o/s. This is essentially a cat and mouse game. The update sent by VZW/HTC patches the exploits that were used to gain root access (that is why it is always dangerous to accept updates from VZW/HTC).

Hopefully the developers on this website will be able to find another exploit/weakness, and provide a way for those who have phones that have the update to obtain root, unlock the bootloader (another partition), and gain s-off (another level of turning a security flag to "off" so that even more partitions can be accessed/changed (ie.the /radio partition).

Is there a team of devs, or a lone superstar dev working on this? I've read hints throughout the DNA forum that there is, but have yet to find a thread that actually confirms this. I really appreciate your explanation as I was just thinking of flashing the RUU file as well. Now I know to just wait and be patient. I read something that suggested jcase was working on it but no development thread to confirm this. Thank you for any information you or anybody else may have. Am drooling for ViporDNA!!!!

I follow jcase on twitter, and a few days ago he was asking for a volunteer who had the update and wasn't unlocked. I haven't seen anything else, so I'm guessing that whatever he was trying didn't pan out.

Regarding your question about a team, or a superstar, I really don't know. I know Jcase came up with the first method to root and unlock the bootloader, and he credited several people that helped him in his post (see his original post in the "original development" forum). Beaups then came up with a simpler method to get root and unlock the bootloader, and he too credited several people (see his original/updated post in the "original development" forum). Then, Beaups and Jcase together found the method to obtain s-off, and I believe they credited others as well (see beaups thread for s-off in the original development forum.

In the threads above, they make reference to the irc chat rooms on andirc. They will often hangout in those chat rooms (more than on these forums, I think) and chat with each other, often helping each other as they tackle projects like rooting or s-off. Note that they do this in their spare time - so sometimes the chat rooms are quiet, sometimes busy, as they come and go while they work their day jobs.

If you venture into THEIR chat room, I would encourage you to be respectful, and patient. You can see that there are several people that just lurk, compared to the regulars that participate, and I don't think they mind if you lurk. I think that is better than going there and asking lots of questions. Especially if they don't know who you are. Even more especially if you ask questions that sound anything like asking for an "ETA". If you monitor the chat room for a little while, you'll start to appreciate the work they do for our community, especially helping people who have particular issues (if those people are respectful), and you also might see the lack of patience they have for those that aren't respectful :)

Hopefully someone will be able to find another exploit for root so the bootloader can be unlocked on the DNA's that have the 2.04 update, and possibly even help them get s-off too. The fact that s-off was obtained for the DNA was quite an improbility. Up until this point, I believe no HTC phones had gotten s-off if they haven't had a micro-sd card, which means most of the HTC phones for the past year haven't obtained s-off. The fact that the s-off hack is called "face palm" makes me think that someone at HTC made a stupid mistake, that enable s-off to be obtained. I wouldn't count on HTC making that mistake twice.

If you are really impatient for unlocking and s-off, and you have the update, I believe the hardware method is still available, where you send your device to the group that will open your phone up, and physically attach a "j-tag" device that enable them to get s-off. Unfortunately, that will set you back $50 or so. But some people are offering a bounty close to that anyways.

Or, if you just received your phone, perhaps you are still within the window to return it, and get an exchange? Just make sure you don't accept the update on a new phone! I would be turning the phone on and getting s-off before I ever put the sim card in! (I think there is a special process if you leave the sim card out to be able bypass the activation).