[APP][4.0+] Open Camera and A Better Camera, open source camera apps

Search This thread

Almalence

Oct 15, 2013
attachment.php

Almalence, Inc., the maker of a number of camera apps for Android, including HDR Camera+, has just released Open Camera, an open source camera app with an extendable commercial version (A Better Camera).

Our intention is to make A Better Camera a top-ranked app and allow third-party developers add their plugins (free or paid), getting instant exposure to millions of users.

We welcome all of you to test that fresh application, provide your comments and, of course, join the project as developers!

Availability:
  • Open Camera is available at Github: Get from GitHub
  • Available on Google Play: A Better Camera, the version with Almalence’s proprietary plugins (free with some features in trial mode): Get from Play

The idea:
  • Provide as much shooting modes, features and options as possible, potentially replacing all other camera apps
  • Plug-in system, allowing developers to easily implement new modes without having to develop the whole camera functionality from scratch
  • Make it possible to use the code in commercial applications and in conjunction with code and libraries under different licenses (Open Camera is under MPL 1.1)
  • Allow third party developers to add their paid plugins to the commercial version distributed by Almalence

The Synergy:
  • Almalence works on making A Better Camera the top app on Google Play
  • The developers can add their plugins to A Better Camera, getting instant exposure to millions of the users of ABC, instead of publishing a new app which goes to the bottom of apps list.

Features available at the moment in A Better Camera:

• HDR (functionality is the same as in HDR Camera+ app)
  • Panorama
  • Unwanted objects removal: remove objects from the photo with a tap
  • Night mode: capture sharp and noise-free photos in any illumination
  • Group portrait: make everyone smile, fuse faces from series of photos into one
  • Video recording
  • Pre-shot: capture what happened before you tap the button
  • Sequence shot: capture the evolution of the dynamic scene
  • Burst shooting and exposure bracketing
  • Self-timer
+ full access to all Camera controls, settings and functions

attachment.php

The processing libraries used for HDR, Panorama, Night mode, Group portrait stitching, objects removal and sequence shot are available under developer license (can be used for development, but not for distribution)

All interested developers and users are welcome to discussion!

Attachments

• ABC-GPlay-400.png
    ABC-GPlay-400.png
    67.6 KB · Views: 14,201
  • ABCIcon256.png
    ABCIcon256.png
    39.5 KB · Views: 14,122
Last edited:

lost_

Jan 29, 2010
DC
Great camera! Thanks for sharing it. I've made this the default camera app on my S4. I've compared the basic camera control features to many others including stock AOSP, FV-5, Lenovo Super Camera (ignoring gimmicky features such fancy effects, filters, stickers, i heart u from apps like Camera Zoom FX, Cymera, etc). This camera app comes out on top.

Wishes:
- Faster load. It's good now, but can be better.
- Manual ISO settings (on Galaxy S4, it doesn't show though other camera apps can show it)
- Live/actual shutter speed and aperture (I know aperture is fixed, but for the thinking photographer, it helps to see the numbers)
- Exposure Bracketing setting: +-1, +- 0.5, etc
- Timer setting: 1 sec (for movement reduction after tapping the screen), 3 sec, 10 sec, etc
- Timer setting: disable/enable flash warning
- Flash compensation (useful for fill-in, not that the onboard flash can do much)
- Swipe to gallery (a bonus, not a must)
- Faster load. Did I say faster load?

(I think all those wishes are still sticking to basic features)

But even without the wish list, this camera app rocks. Hopefully it would make the XDA front page one of these days (already tipped them).

Last edited:

meo

yes a great camera APP! Now one of my camera app on HTC ONE.

I use Camera360, Lenovo Super Camera, Focal, Camera FV-5, HDR+ ....

my Wish:

please make a widget, so that you can start the camera applikation with settings !!!

-> example: on click on HDR Widget or one click on Normal Widget ...
i dont know why i need always to go in the camera app, make my settings and then i can make my photo.
it would be nice to save the settings to a widget

Last edited:
Reactions: Almalence

meo

tasker support

wishlist:

when you done it a solution with settings - you have new possibilities:
I use utter - a personal voice assistent ( a very good one) this software has support for tasker ( automatic solution) :

so it would be a nice solution to have tasker support

i say: "make a normal photo" -> the phone make a normal photo
i say: "make hdr photo" -> it makes a hdr photo ...
i say: "make video" -> it makes a video

it was the first solution like this

Reactions: Almalence

Mebborne

Oct 3, 2011
Baltimore, MD
This app has an awful lot of promise. Nicely done! One problem I am having is after selecting video mode, it doesn't want to let me return back to single shot mode.
Of lesser importance, I also wish there were a way to switch to video faster and think the main app icon could be improved. Look forward to future development. Thanks!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Almalence

Oct 15, 2013
For those who need APK, the recent version attached.

Changes since previous version:
version 3.11
- stability fixes
- ISO control
- Brazilian localization - thanks Marcio Andrade for your help!!!
- save configuration parameters feature
- self timer for modes
- help for complex modes
- Panorama improved
- time lapse
- video improved, video controlling speed increased
- fast startup!
- exif tags for result images
- support of different devices
- object removal/groupshot/sequence improvements
- panorama corrections
- color conversion corrected

Last edited:

EP2008

Jan 2, 2008
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
For those who are thinking of purchasing A Better Camera premium features, now is a right time to do that.

For one week starting Black Friday we offer all premium features at the price of one. Separately each feature is available for 30% of the normal price: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.almalence.opencam

I did yesterday. Thank you for the sale.

Could you add an option to edit a series of photos after they are taken to apply hdr,object removal or sequence shot manually (rather than apply those live). That would mean that I could take a burst shot of 10 photos and then decide later on if I want to create a sequence shot or apply object removal.

I hope that makes sense.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Almalence

Oct 15, 2013
I did yesterday. Thank you for the sale.

Could you add an option to edit a series of photos after they are taken to apply hdr,object removal or sequence shot manually (rather than apply those live). That would mean that I could take a burst shot of 10 photos and then decide later on if I want to create a sequence shot or apply object removal.

I hope that makes sense.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Yes, this feature planned for implementation. So it will be available soon.

Reactions: EP2008

Almalence

Oct 15, 2013
New version 3.14 available.

Changes since previous versions:
version 3.14
- stability fixes
- memory leak fixeв
- issues with multi tasks corrected
- ISO control support for different devices
- Night mode processing improved
- Panorama mode fixes
- Nexus 5 support
- auto exposure lock, white balance lock, focus lock

Last edited:

FAT_C

Aug 25, 2011
its a better camera:good:

but i think there is a bug: the custom save folder is able to save picture taken, but can not open album app to view pictures by clicking the thumbnail

edit: i am using xperia Z1 4.2

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    attachment.php

Almalence, Inc., the maker of a number of camera apps for Android, including HDR Camera+, has just released Open Camera, an open source camera app with an extendable commercial version (A Better Camera).

Our intention is to make A Better Camera a top-ranked app and allow third-party developers add their plugins (free or paid), getting instant exposure to millions of users.

We welcome all of you to test that fresh application, provide your comments and, of course, join the project as developers!

Availability:
    • Open Camera is available at Github: Get from GitHub
    • Available on Google Play: A Better Camera, the version with Almalence’s proprietary plugins (free with some features in trial mode): Get from Play

The idea:
    • Provide as much shooting modes, features and options as possible, potentially replacing all other camera apps
    • Plug-in system, allowing developers to easily implement new modes without having to develop the whole camera functionality from scratch
    • Make it possible to use the code in commercial applications and in conjunction with code and libraries under different licenses (Open Camera is under MPL 1.1)
    • Allow third party developers to add their paid plugins to the commercial version distributed by Almalence

The Synergy:
    • Almalence works on making A Better Camera the top app on Google Play
    • The developers can add their plugins to A Better Camera, getting instant exposure to millions of the users of ABC, instead of publishing a new app which goes to the bottom of apps list.

Features available at the moment in A Better Camera:

• HDR (functionality is the same as in HDR Camera+ app)
    • Panorama
    • Unwanted objects removal: remove objects from the photo with a tap
    • Night mode: capture sharp and noise-free photos in any illumination
    • Group portrait: make everyone smile, fuse faces from series of photos into one
    • Video recording
    • Pre-shot: capture what happened before you tap the button
    • Sequence shot: capture the evolution of the dynamic scene
    • Burst shooting and exposure bracketing
    • Self-timer
    + full access to all Camera controls, settings and functions

attachment.php

The processing libraries used for HDR, Panorama, Night mode, Group portrait stitching, objects removal and sequence shot are available under developer license (can be used for development, but not for distribution)

All interested developers and users are welcome to discussion!
    Great camera! Thanks for sharing it. I've made this the default camera app on my S4. I've compared the basic camera control features to many others including stock AOSP, FV-5, Lenovo Super Camera (ignoring gimmicky features such fancy effects, filters, stickers, i heart u from apps like Camera Zoom FX, Cymera, etc). This camera app comes out on top.

Wishes:
    - Faster load. It's good now, but can be better.
    - Manual ISO settings (on Galaxy S4, it doesn't show though other camera apps can show it)
    - Live/actual shutter speed and aperture (I know aperture is fixed, but for the thinking photographer, it helps to see the numbers)
    - Exposure Bracketing setting: +-1, +- 0.5, etc
    - Timer setting: 1 sec (for movement reduction after tapping the screen), 3 sec, 10 sec, etc
    - Timer setting: disable/enable flash warning
    - Flash compensation (useful for fill-in, not that the onboard flash can do much)
    - Swipe to gallery (a bonus, not a must)
    - Faster load. Did I say faster load?

(I think all those wishes are still sticking to basic features)

But even without the wish list, this camera app rocks. Hopefully it would make the XDA front page one of these days (already tipped them).
    We released new demo application. Currently it's available only for Nexus 5 users with Android 5. Later we'll add few more devices with Android 5 full camera2 API support.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.almalence.supersensordemo

What is Super Sensor? It's our all-in-one solution to improve camera!

Can be used:
    - in low light - resolution improvement, noise reduction, shadow recovery
    - when bright back-light causes object of interest to be lost in shadows. Super Sensor recover automatically and noise-free
    - scenes with beach and snow - automatic adjustment of typical auto-exposure failures (no user interaction!). What should be white is white now. Low-contrast details are not lost but enhanced. Miniature details revealed.
    - Due to DR enhancement by up to 18db, high dynamic range scenes are handled well by Super Sensor.
    - Super zoom - presenting a zoomed-in image from mobile device can be a frustrating experience. Not with Super Sensor.
    - Perfect for documents: superior resolution and contrast maximisation. Always.

Super mode will be available in A Better Camera new release

All provided examples are UNALTERED and taken on stock Nexus 5 with SuperSensor!
    attachment.php

attachment.php
    New version 3.14 available.

Changes since previous versions:
    version 3.14
    - stability fixes
    - memory leak fixeв
    - issues with multi tasks corrected
    - ISO control support for different devices
    - Night mode processing improved
    - Panorama mode fixes
    - Nexus 5 support
    - auto exposure lock, white balance lock, focus lock

APK attached (recent version)

New in this version:
    - Exposure lock, White balance lock, Focus lock added
    - HDR fixes (gray lines/images problem on some devices - big thanks to Krzy Pal)
    - video mode improved
    - launch speed-up
    - support of different devices
    - object removal/groupshot/sequence improvements
    - stability fixes