Who Here Back The Ouya?

Search This thread

AiyoX

Jun 13, 2011
I am one of the original backers as well and I'm extremely excited! Dedicated system for emulators, indie games, media, all in a small cheap package. I mean I could hookup my phone/laptop to the tv and find some bluetooth controller but this is more convenient. One could also argue I could buy a more powerful HTPC, I could, but I bought an Ouya. :3

mromutt

Jan 18, 2011
i am a backer too and i agree i could have gone with other things but this is cheap small easy to use and setup and take anywhere. and most of all its a leap in gaming for those that want light games and entertainment. i plan on taking mine to my friends house all the time, or modding my motorola lapdock to use this on the go anywhere. i have lots of ideas and plans for mine.

lukeglover80

Feb 10, 2013
yeah i also backed the ouya and im excited for it. i didnt want the "special edition" one because i didnt like the colour. i also got 2 controllers for it :D

bagnz0r

Feb 14, 2012
Szczecinek
bagnz0r.pl
I discourage Ouya.
It's bound to be an utter failure.

E: Only die-hard Android nerds will buy it.
The argument "we want to get people back to television" is horribly biased and makes me laugh like a damn choker.
There is plenty of consoles out there today, yet no consumer seems to give much of a damn about "openness" of the console.
Of course they don't. They want games, not source code, GPIO and extensive customization possibilities.

E2: I never backed next-gen consoles. They break the purpose and meaning of the word "console".

Last edited:

devnut

Dec 26, 2012
well i didn't think much about it until i logged in here the other day and it was as the top of the forum... now kinda wishing i had of... oh well

sschrupp

Jul 27, 2008
Iowa
I discourage Ouya.
It's bound to be an utter failure.

E: Only die-hard Android nerds will buy it.
The argument "we want to get people back to television" is horribly biased and makes me laugh like a damn choker.
There is plenty of consoles out there today, yet no consumer seems to give much of a damn about "openness" of the console.
Of course they don't. They want games, not source code, GPIO and extensive customization possibilities.

E2: I never backed next-gen consoles. They break the purpose and meaning of the word "console".

I'm not a die-hard Android nerd, nor much of a hacker yet I backed it. ;)

The OUYA will be great as a media center to access all sorts of digital content on a TV as well as acting as a gaming console for less hard core gaming. I currently use a ROKU to access Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, etc and will replace that with this. Console gaming is far down the list of reasons I wanted the OUYA, but I am excited to see what might come out once it releases.

I'm a day one (maybe two) backer. I'm neither all excited or doom and gloom on it either.

The reason I did it, it looked interesting. Two, I'm hoping maybe it or something similar will catch on and give an alternative to the major consoles--Playstation, xbox, nintendo--or PC (can be expensive to keep hardware up to date. Three, the market can use something like this so the independent guy or small company can have a low entry point into getting into the gaming market beyond the mobile device There are a lot of people with good ideas, but don't have the financial resources to try the idea. Last, it was only $100, so the cost was quite minimal.

There are some good games on the mobile platform. Some that could be fun on the TV such as Shadowrun. I think developers could make something even better if the platform could support it.

I'm not saying I expect the graphics to up with the 360, PS3 or next versions of these. But as the Wii showed, if you have a fun game to play, people are willing to play with lower graphics.

Plus, I think it will be interesting to see what other people, such as the XDA community, will be able to do with it as well since it's suppose to be open. Another bonus will be able to use the other media services on Android such as Netflix, Hulu Plus, Plex, Crackle, MLB, NHL, NBA, and so forth. This is assuming side loading APKs should be relatively easy and the APK plays nice. It won't replace a HTPC, but maybe a set top box.

Raverbunny

Oct 23, 2012
Brisbane
I backed Ouya during its kick starter campaign. Looking forward to my kick starter limited edition with my user name stamped on it and its 2 controller :D

Sent from my IceColdJelly HOX via Tapatalk 2

bagnz0r

Feb 14, 2012
Szczecinek
bagnz0r.pl
I'm not a die-hard Android nerd, nor much of a hacker yet I backed it. ;)

The OUYA will be great as a media center to access all sorts of digital content on a TV as well as acting as a gaming console for less hard core gaming. I currently use a ROKU to access Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, etc and will replace that with this. Console gaming is far down the list of reasons I wanted the OUYA, but I am excited to see what might come out once it releases.

That could be a pretty valid use, but there's bunch of good set-top boxes out there. Cheaper than Ouya too.

amd5511

Jul 29, 2012
Trivandrum
+1 for ouya

Actually i want to raise a $99 on their kickstarter campaign, but i was too late to have a pledge on their site. But defnitely give it a try when it is out in our market since this doesnt make a hole in our pocket :p

ghostofdavid

Dec 29, 2012
I backed this when it was on Kickstarter. I have a hard time accepting prophecy from someone who didn't pick up any recent consoles because you're out of touch with the direction of gaming. This isn't an insult and I totally get your response but you're missing out on the evolution of games and gaming.

For 99 bucks, I'm willing to risk it to see how it turns out. You can say "I told you so" and it will only sting up to 99 dollars worth of pain. ;)

What I don't like is that they plan on releasing a new console every year and at 99 bucks a pop, it's still cheaper to pick up the current/next gen console.

Mysticales

Oct 30, 2007
www.darkmystics.com
Yep I backed it. Least its paid for. Also grabbed a 2nd controller. Just waiting on them to ship out. =)
Only thing that annoyed me on Kickstarter... didnt know this till LATER.. Is that we KS people.. didnt get a discount on the Ouya.. its the same as "preorder" price for everyone else.. which does make me feel lil cheated.. We backed the project, but didnt get any perks for the normal order.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I did, can't wait to get it. I'm going to have a great time with emus

Ugh darn PayPal issues. Okay I'm reserving mine on Monday. Does anyone know "about" when I'd receive mine? Sucks that I missed the Feb 4th deal.
    I'm backer #22326

I backed it for the fact that I can hack and tweak and play with it as a android device

The whole game console part comes second to me honestly

noted for future reference on my Note 2
    Backed it but pissed that many backers such as myself probably will receive their devices after retail launch. Small company or not, they should have pushed back the release as their launch was a joke and entirely misleading. Only journalists have used it. If you paid for a limited edition device and happened to order 2 controllers, back of the line for you! Only silver lining is that perhaps by the time the retail launch happens they will fix the most glaring problems: clunky interface, difficult to side load, controller issues, etc.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium
    I Backed another, I'm already happy with my MK802 III mini-pc, I think OUYA will be like this device, only with better hardware :)

But man... I wish they included a MicroSD port, I don't like the idea to plug a external HDD.

Can always get a MicroSD adaptar.