[Q] Android 4.3 Bluetooth LE Question ?

Search This thread

Judge584

Jun 20, 2008
Is it true that Galaxy Nexus Hardware don't support Bluetooth LE on Android 4.3 like Nexus 4? If not, how to check it supports LE ?

Same here, could someone confirm Galaxy Nexus is now supporting bluetooth smart ?

Just done some web search and found this, which seems to confirm Bluetooth smart support : http://androidtelegraph.com/galaxy-nexus-bluetooth-sig-certification-hints-android-4-3/

But I just want to be sure before buying this : http://www.zephyranywhere.com/products/hxm-smart-heart-rate-monitor/

Regards

lahma69

Jun 19, 2010
Wow... Really!? I am blown away by this revelation... The GNexus has BLE hardware (BT 4.0) but the 4.3 update doesn't add compatibility? That is so so crappy...

joedeveloper

Jul 24, 2009
Las Vegas
Wow... Really!? I am blown away by this revelation... The GNexus has BLE hardware (BT 4.0) but the 4.3 update doesn't add compatibility? That is so so crappy...

Apparently the issue is not with the chip, it's with the kernel. In order to have BLE you need to have the kernel bumped up to 3.4. From what I've read there are instability issues on the GNex with 3.4, possibly due to the fact that TI isn't doing anymore work on the OMAP processor line. So unless google figures out a way to release a stable, then we're out of luck. Or if a kernel developer figures out a way, but from what I understand it's a bit of an undertaking to accomplish.

betizad

Nov 7, 2009
Is it possible for the debs to actually make it work. If it's I would jump on that.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

lahma69

Jun 19, 2010
Apparently the issue is not with the chip, it's with the kernel. In order to have BLE you need to have the kernel bumped up to 3.4. From what I've read there are instability issues on the GNex with 3.4, possibly due to the fact that TI isn't doing anymore work on the OMAP processor line. So unless google figures out a way to release a stable, then we're out of luck. Or if a kernel developer figures out a way, but from what I understand it's a bit of an undertaking to accomplish.

Hmm... I hadn't heard any of that info. I guess I just assumed that any devices that have BT 4.0 hardware, and get a 4.3 update, would support BLE. When you are saying 3.4, I assume you mean 4.3? Don't the new stock 4.3 images for the nexus devices come with an updated kernel for 4.3? Hopefully this gets worked out...

Ah... I know what you mean by 3.4 now... You are referring to the kernel version.

Last edited:

CommanderROR

May 4, 2008
There is always a weak link, if the OMAP is really not compatible with Kernel 3.4 then it'll be very hard if not impossible for the devs to fix....

joedeveloper

Jul 24, 2009
Las Vegas
Hmm... I hadn't heard any of that info. I guess I just assumed that any devices that have BT 4.0 hardware, and get a 4.3 update, would support BLE. When you are saying 3.4, I assume you mean 4.3? Don't the new stock 4.3 images for the nexus devices come with an updated kernel for 4.3? Hopefully this gets worked out...

Ah... I know what you mean by 3.4 now... You are referring to the kernel version.

Yep it's all about the kernel... hmm.

Judge584

Jun 20, 2008
This is a very bad news, because klp will maybe requiring a newer kernel for new functionality or battery management...which meens no more update for gnex. Deception... Come on nexus 5 ;)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

madd0g

May 8, 2010

Well, that was my speculation earlier in the thread :]. Thing is that a module could be included in whatever kernel there is. Google Glass for instance uses the same chip and CPU as GN, but was certified for BT 2.1 only in April. Why are they're not bringing BLE on there is a mystery, because it's certainly a type of device which would benefit a lot from that functionality.

It may also be that Broadcom doesn't release the proper support for it. Chip vendors can be show stoppers because of politics (they develop new chips all the time, remember).