[Q] Switched from iOS...iMessage still active or something?

Search This thread

amsage3

Sep 29, 2008
I am on Verizon, and am running CM11...I just switched on Friday, and am running in to a problem where no one with an iPhone's (75% of the people I know) texts come through to me. I deactivated my phone number from the iMessage/iCloud/whatever servers, and now the messages don't even go to my old iPhone. I'm assuming the problem is that I forgot to turn iMessage off before activating my G2.

Apple said it would take about 24 hours (?) for the change to go through...so just in case this may have something to do with my G2, or CM11, or something unrelated...I figured I'd ask here...because it should be working by now.

annoyingduck

Aug 15, 2012
Boston, MA Area
Yay apple, my brother just went through this. Go to a vzw store. Have them activate an iPhone for you, disable all that i cloud crap, then reactivate your REAL phone and you'll be good to go... Way easier than option b which is via apples + verizons customer service. This will work.

-VZW LG G2 VS980

Reactions: amsage3

agentfusion

Jun 27, 2009
Baltimore
wr3tch.com
OnePlus 9
I am on Verizon, and am running CM11...I just switched on Friday, and am running in to a problem where no one with an iPhone's (75% of the people I know) texts come through to me. I deactivated my phone number from the iMessage/iCloud/whatever servers, and now the messages don't even go to my old iPhone. I'm assuming the problem is that I forgot to turn iMessage off before activating my G2.

Apple said it would take about 24 hours (?) for the change to go through...so just in case this may have something to do with my G2, or CM11, or something unrelated...I figured I'd ask here...because it should be working by now.

Ugh. I had this same problem. I was using my iPhone as an iPod after I got my galaxy S3 and all of my texts from iPhone users would spam the iPhone every time I got near Wi-Fi. It was horrendous. I was able to fix it by disabling iCloud on the iPhone and the Apple website in my account settings.

Hope this helps, in case you've already wiped or sold the iPhone, you can (or at least, you could a year ago) turn off iCloud on the Apple site.

EDIT: it's probably important to note that I'm on at&t right now so all i had to do to use the iPhone is put any at&t SIM in it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: amsage3

amsage3

Sep 29, 2008
Yay apple, my brother just went through this. Go to a vzw store. Have them activate an iPhone for you, disable all that i cloud crap, then reactivate your REAL phone and you'll be good to go... Way easier than option b which is via apples + verizons customer service. This will work.

-VZW LG G2 VS980

Will this work even if I've already turned iCloud/iMessage/etc off? Here's the order I did things in:

1. Activated Android phone WITHOUT turning off iCloud/iMessage/etc.

2. Turned on iPhone at my home (connected to WiFi) to grab some information off of it - saw a dozen iMessages sent from all my people that use iOS

3. Turned off iMessage from the iPhone.

4. Called Apple customer service, had them disassociate my phone number from iCloud/iMessage/etc.

5. Issue was still occuring after the 24 hours Apple said it would take for their servers to propagate the change. Made this post.

6. Spoke with Verizon customer service. In-store, they said there was nothing I could do but wait and tell everyone I know with an iPhone to make sure to re-send failed iMessages as text messages. Over the phone, the rep put me on hold and did something to my line (wouldn't tell me what) that she stated should "fix" the issue, but that I still needed to tell everyone I knew that used an iPhone to delete me as a contact, delete our message threads, and re-enter me as a contact.

-----

At this point, iPhone users "texting" me worked about a quarter of the time. My wife could do it just fine, and didn't have to do any re-sending as a text. Others, however, were still having to do so, and in even more rare cases, some didn't even have the option...it would just send as iMessage and I'd never get the message.

Now, over a week later, the issue is still occuring. Annoyingduck (or anyone), do you think that if I activated an iPhone, enabled iMessage, and then disabled it and then deactivated the iPhone and reactivated the Android (like I should have done initially...they really should put a notice about that in the Quickstart guide!), it would clear the issue up? Do you think I would need to wait any period of time to let Apple's servers catchup? This just seems like such a massive oversight on Apple's part, which is making it really confusing.

annoyingduck

Aug 15, 2012
Boston, MA Area
Will this work even if I've already turned iCloud/iMessage/etc off? Here's the order I did things in:

1. Activated Android phone WITHOUT turning off iCloud/iMessage/etc.

2. Turned on iPhone at my home (connected to WiFi) to grab some information off of it - saw a dozen iMessages sent from all my people that use iOS

3. Turned off iMessage from the iPhone.

4. Called Apple customer service, had them disassociate my phone number from iCloud/iMessage/etc.

5. Issue was still occuring after the 24 hours Apple said it would take for their servers to propagate the change. Made this post.

6. Spoke with Verizon customer service. In-store, they said there was nothing I could do but wait and tell everyone I know with an iPhone to make sure to re-send failed iMessages as text messages. Over the phone, the rep put me on hold and did something to my line (wouldn't tell me what) that she stated should "fix" the issue, but that I still needed to tell everyone I knew that used an iPhone to delete me as a contact, delete our message threads, and re-enter me as a contact.

-----

At this point, iPhone users "texting" me worked about a quarter of the time. My wife could do it just fine, and didn't have to do any re-sending as a text. Others, however, were still having to do so, and in even more rare cases, some didn't even have the option...it would just send as iMessage and I'd never get the message.

Now, over a week later, the issue is still occuring. Annoyingduck (or anyone), do you think that if I activated an iPhone, enabled iMessage, and then disabled it and then deactivated the iPhone and reactivated the Android (like I should have done initially...they really should put a notice about that in the Quickstart guide!), it would clear the issue up? Do you think I would need to wait any period of time to let Apple's servers catchup? This just seems like such a massive oversight on Apple's part, which is making it really confusing.

Of you still have your iPhone, then yes do that and you can do it over the phone. Otherwise go into the store and MAKE them activate an iPhone for you so you can do it yourself while in the store. They must honor this. If they give you a hard time demand it and speak to a manager. That's what my brother had to do...

-VZW LG G2 VS980

amsage3

Sep 29, 2008
Of you still have your iPhone, then yes do that and you can do it over the phone. Otherwise go into the store and MAKE them activate an iPhone for you so you can do it yourself while in the store. They must honor this. If they give you a hard time demand it and speak to a manager. That's what my brother had to do...

-VZW LG G2 VS980

Thanks. I don't still have the same iPhone I was using, but I have an older one....safe to assume that would work if they would obviously have to use a completely different one at a Verizon store?

annoyingduck

Aug 15, 2012
Boston, MA Area
Thanks. I don't still have the same iPhone I was using, but I have an older one....safe to assume that would work if they would obviously have to use a completely different one at a Verizon store?

I'm no iPhone expert, but I assume if it's got a vzw Sim in it, there's no reason it won't work. Unless that text secure crap is only in the newer iPhones?

-VZW LG G2 VS980

amsage3

Sep 29, 2008
I'm no iPhone expert, but I assume if it's got a vzw Sim in it, there's no reason it won't work. Unless that text secure crap is only in the newer iPhones?

-VZW LG G2 VS980

I don't believe so. I don't think it has anything to do with security...it's just like data messaging, instead of SMS...like BBM on Blackberry. It's not even exclusive to iPhones...it's on iPods, iPads, etc. I had it on my 4S when it was still running iOS 6 over a year ago, and nothing ships with any older OS, so I should be fine on that front.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

-VZW LG G2 VS980

Ugh. I had this same problem. I was using my iPhone as an iPod after I got my galaxy S3 and all of my texts from iPhone users would spam the iPhone every time I got near Wi-Fi. It was horrendous. I was able to fix it by disabling iCloud on the iPhone and the Apple website in my account settings.

Hope this helps, in case you've already wiped or sold the iPhone, you can (or at least, you could a year ago) turn off iCloud on the Apple site.

EDIT: it's probably important to note that I'm on at&t right now so all i had to do to use the iPhone is put any at&t SIM in it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app