[Q] Quick unroot question

Search This thread

Kev1jm2

Apr 16, 2012
I want to return to stock so I can take an OTA. I am currently running Sprint 4.3, rooted, unlocked bootloader, S-ON, software version 3.04.651.2.

I have been reading up on the proper way to return to stock and just want to double check that I have the right information before i break something.

1. Download 3.04.651.2 RUU (or do I want 4.06.651.4 or 4.06.651.2?)
2. USB debugging turned on
3. nandriod
4. go into fastboot
5. Connect phone to computer and go to Andriod SDK folder platform-tools and open a command window
6. type fastboot oem lock in the command window
7. go back to fastboot and run the RUU (how exactly do I run the RUU?)
8. Am I done now? Will these steps give me the stock rom, locked bootloader and stock recovery?

is this how I flash the RUU from the command window?

Fastboot oem rebootRUU
Fastboot flash zip firmware.zip (if filename = firmware.zip)
Fastboot reboot

Thanks for the clarification.

Last edited:

predator1584

Nov 3, 2009
Kansas City
I want to return to stock so I can take an OTA. I am currently running Sprint 4.3, rooted, unlocked bootloader, S-ON, software version 3.04.651.2.

I have been reading up on the proper way to return to stock and just want to double check that I have the right information before i break something.

1. Download 3.04.651.2 RUU (or do I want 4.06.651.4 or 4.06.651.2?)
2. USB debugging turned on
3. nandriod
4. go into fastboot
5. Connect phone to computer and go to Andriod SDK folder platform-tools and open a command window
6. type fastboot oem lock in the command window
7. go back to fastboot and run the RUU (how exactly do I run the RUU?)
8. Am I done now? Will these steps give me the stock rom, locked bootloader and stock recovery?

is this how I flash the RUU from the command window?

Fastboot oem rebootRUU
Fastboot flash zip firmware.zip (if filename = firmware.zip)
Fastboot reboot

Thanks for the clarification.

If you have a (S-ON) device you can go to OMJ's thread and run the RUU.exe for instructions:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2658910
read the instructions under the image on the page...

If you want to flash the modified firmware you need (S-OFF), then you would follow these instructions:
I downloaded 4.06.651.4..
then renamed 4.06.651.4.zip to "firmware.zip"..
then moved firmware.zip to 'where-ever fastboot & adb are installed'..
then open command prompt in that folder..
then rebooted to bootloader..
plug phone through USB port, phone should say FASTBOOT USB
cmd: "fastboot oem rebootRUU" (without quotes of course)
cmd: "fastboot flash zip firmware.zip"
cmd: "fastboot reboot" (to reboot)

Hope this helps!

Kev1jm2

Apr 16, 2012
If you have a (S-ON) device you can go to OMJ's thread and run the RUU.exe for instructions:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2658910
read the instructions under the image on the page...

If you want to flash the modified firmware you need (S-OFF), then you would follow these instructions:
I downloaded 4.06.651.4..
then renamed 4.06.651.4.zip to "firmware.zip"..
then moved firmware.zip to 'where-ever fastboot & adb are installed'..
then open command prompt in that folder..
then rebooted to bootloader..
plug phone through USB port, phone should say FASTBOOT USB
cmd: "fastboot oem rebootRUU" (without quotes of course)
cmd: "fastboot flash zip firmware.zip"
cmd: "fastboot reboot" (to reboot)

Hope this helps!

The OMJ thread says its for 4.06.651.4. I have 3.04.651.2. Is that a problem or can I still use it?

Sloth

Inactive RC / Retired Forum Moderator
Apr 23, 2012
Xda-Dev,NV
The OMJ thread says its for 4.06.651.4. I have 3.04.651.2. Is that a problem or can I still use it?
The 4.06.651.4 RUU is the same as taking the OTA but...it will wipe your device
I would suggest getting s-off before you go any further it will save you headaches down the road.

Kev1jm2

Apr 16, 2012

no luck with the s-off way. got a file size error in cmd. trying the s-on version now.

Nope, got another error. Something about using an incorrect ruu. Bootloader is locked now though...And now its unlocked again. going to try OMJ's tool with the 3.04.651.2 ruu

OMJ's tool worked when my software version matched the tool's version. getting the OTA now. Apparently you cant jump software versions.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

trancefreak64

Jan 22, 2011
Los Angeles
no luck with the s-off way. got a file size error in cmd. trying the s-on version now.

Nope, got another error. Something about using an incorrect ruu. Bootloader is locked now though...And now its unlocked again. going to try OMJ's tool with the 3.04.651.2 ruu

OMJ's tool worked when my software version matched the tool's version. getting the OTA now. Apparently you cant jump software versions.

Thanks for your help.

I did not have to relock my phone to RUU it for a repair at HTC. If you run into trouble just reapply your token.bin file to re unlock dev mode and try again. I agree though S-OFF is the way to go if you can sort it out.