Upgrade to KitKat via OTA or flash through Odin? Any difference?

Search This thread

drdoombot

Nov 19, 2011
Any reason to choose one method over the other?

I'm running rooted stock 4.3 (MK1) on SM-P600 and I've done a nandroid backup in TWRP (which I'm assuming I can restore if I don't like KK).

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011
Any reason to choose one method over the other?

I'm running rooted stock 4.3 (MK1) on SM-P600 and I've done a nandroid backup in TWRP (which I'm assuming I can restore if I don't like KK).

Odin is clean install (wipe everything flash a fresh O/S). OTA is upgrade or dirty flash, you still able to keep your setup and all your installed apps. If your phone is running smooth without any issue then OTA should be fine. If you have weird issues, then Odin is recommended. I see you already have TWRP and probably already rooted that means you can not use OTA method and if you use Odin you will wipe out everything including TWRP, root, your setup all the download apps, system/user data and so on. Your phone will be like a new one. This bring us to the point that you will NOT able to restore 4.3 (you will need to reflash TWRP and so on..) and we have mix reports about once you on Kitkat it's not possible to flash back 4.3 due to different bootloader.

Last edited:

colint3

Mar 20, 2009
Odin is clean install (wipe everything flash a fresh O/S). OTA is upgrade or dirty flash, you still able to keep your setup and all your installed apps. If your phone is running smooth without any issue then OTA should be fine. If you have weird issues, then Odin is recommended. I see you already have TWRP and probably already rooted that means you can not use OTA method and if you use Odin you will wipe out everything including TWRP, root, your setup all the download apps, system/user data and so on. Your phone will be like a new one. This bring us to the point that you will NOT able to restore 4.3 (you will need to reflash TWRP and so on..) and we have mix reports about once you on Kitkat it's not possible to flash back 4.3 due to different bootloader.

I updated via Odin and it was a dirty flash and everything works fine. I can still create a folder on the external sd and copy a file from the internal sd to the folder that I created on the external sd.

Regards

colin