[HOWTO] [ROOT] [ODIN] No Tripping Flash Counter - Root + [TWRP] - Updated 05.25.2013

Search This thread

mrRobinson

Dec 20, 2010
This is a root injected Stock I535 (leaked) Odin Flashable Image. You flash this in Odin just as you would the completely stock ROM from samsung. I've simply injected the su binary and SuperSu app so you now have rooted stock image.

So if you want to keep your device stock yet have the functionality of root without tripping the counter or just flashing back to stock yet retaining root for a good baseline to move forward from, then this is a good option.

You can get ODIN here
and the drivers for the SCH-I535 so ODIN can detect your phone can be found at Samsung's site. Click on the Manuals & Downloads tab at the bottom and then on Software for the latest driver.

Instructions:

First, Download Image:
JB Image (4.1.2) Provided by open1your1eyes0 leak
Main Download: No Wipe, latest 4.1.2 Image: root66_VZW_I535VRBMB1.7z
Prior Version:
Mirror 1: root66_VZW_I535VRBMA2.7z - This will wipe everything! Complete factory wipe. Caution, Includes /sdcard.
Mirror 1: root66_VZW_I535VRBMA2_nowipe.7z - This will NOT wipe data or sdcard.

JB Image (4.1.1)
Mirror 1: root66_VZW_I535VRBLK3.7z - This will wipe everything! Complete factory wipe. Caution, Includes /sdcard.
Mirror 1: root66_VZW_I535VRBLK3_nowipe.7z - This will NOT wipe data or sdcard.

Older Leaked JB Image
Mirror 1: root66_VZW_I535VRBLK1.7z - This will wipe everything! Complete factory wipe. Caution, Includes /sdcard.
Mirror 2: root66_VZW_I535VRBLK1.7z - This will wipe everything! Complete factory wipe. Caution, Includes /sdcard.
Mirror 1: root66_VZW_I535VRBLK1_nowipe.7z - This will NOT wipe data or sdcard.
Mirror 2: root66_VZW_I535VRBLK1_nowipe.7z - This will NOT wipe data or sdcard.

Archived Images
Mirror 1: root66_VZW_I535VRBLJ1.7z - This will wipe everything! Complete factory wipe. Caution, Includes /sdcard.
Mirror 1: root66_VZW_I535VRBLJ1_nowipe.7z - This will NOT wipe data or sdcard.

Second, Extract and Flash:
Extract the root66_VZW_I535VRBLK1.tar.md5 from the .7z file you downloaded.
Use Odin, put phone into download mode [with phone off, hold vol. down + home + power ], connect to computer and open Odin.
once in odin click the PDA field and select the root66_VZW_I535VRBLK1.tar.md5 you downloaded.
Leave Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time checked.
click start and
when done let phone reboot.
If you have issues flashing with Odin please ensure you are using the microusb cable that came with the phone, users have had issues using other cables.
If you just want a stock, rooted phone with no custom recovery, no plans to flash custom roms, etc. then you can stop HERE.

Optional, Recovery (may now trip counter):
Loading any custom recovery or custom kernel may now trip the download mode flash counter. Loading a non stock recovery will also prevent you from successfully applying any OTA updates however here is a procedure for any who want a non-stock recovery:
The instructions here are for TWRP but you can follow same procedure for CWM as well.
Option 1: Download GooManager from the Play store. Once installed click the menu and select "Install OpenRecovery Script".
Option 2: Download the TWRP recovery image here. Copy it to the /sdcard of your phone.
Connect your phone to your computer and use adb
type adb shell
once in the shell run su
then
dd if=/sdcard/openrecovery-twrp-2.3.1.0-d2vzw.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18

Alternate if unfamiliar with adb commands
Grab android terminal emulator from the play store and run the same commands starting with su and then the dd command.

Bonus Files
CWM Flashable OTA Upgrade (preserves root and non-stock recovery):
---------------:: root66_OTA_I535_VRBLK3_VRBMB1.zip
CWM Flashable Modems: modem_CWM_I535VRBLK3.zip || modem_CWM_I535VRBMA2.zip
ODIN Flashable Stock Recovery: VZW_recovery_I535VRBLK3.tar.md5 || VZW_recovery_I535VRBMA2.tar.md5

History:
I've injected root into other stock images and those threads have a lot of valuable information which could answer some questions that may arise here. If you have time to do some reading here are a few of the informative ones:
Samsung Galaxy S3 [ATT / Bell / Telus / Rogers / Sasktel ]
Samsung Galaxy S3 [TMO / Wind / Mobilicity]
Also did sprint but there isn't much there that won't be covered above.

FAQ
  1. Does this remove the VZW bloatware?
    A: No. It is same as stock, nothing is removed.
  2. Does this use an unlocked boot.img
    A: No. This flashes the stock boot.img in the VRBLJ1 image.
  3. Can I still get OTA updates?
    A: Yes if you do not load a custom recovery or remove any system apps OTA updates will still come and be able to be successfully applied. If you want to retain root through the OTA process I'd recommend using OTA Rootkeeper.

Last edited:

mrRobinson

Dec 20, 2010
I'd like to add I don't have a VZW S3 so I didn't test those images above. The first person to try please post to confirm they work. Thanks.

EDIT: Anyone reading this, it's been confirmed they work now.

Last edited:

lexluthor

Feb 7, 2007
This appears to be exactly what I'm looking for (stock/rooted).

Still no power due to Sandy, but has anytime tried this and confirmed it works? I'm on the current official ota with root and no custom recovery now.

edthesped

Sep 13, 2010
I installed open1your1eyes0 prior to seeing this or I would have tried it. I can confirm your flash counter will be tripped using that method. Had I seen this first I certainly would have used it as all I want is stock rooted.

Thanks for thinking of us conservative types that only want stock rooted.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

mrRobinson

Dec 20, 2010
No one tried this yet? Not many people looking only for stock/rooted lb
I hope at this point most people have their phone how they want it. To me, this is good for 2 things. 1, first get your phone and want completely stock but root. 2, you've played around with other roms, kernels, etc and want to get back to a good baseline ensuring all stock but of course retaining root.

I installed open1your1eyes0 prior to seeing this or I would have tried it. I can confirm your flash counter will be tripped using that method. Had I seen this first I certainly would have used it as all I want is stock rooted.

Thanks for thinking of us conservative types that only want stock rooted.

Well there have been 30 downloads. maybe someone has tried it at this point. (some people never post) but I'm sure we'll know soon enough.

Reactions: uncivil and BigErnM

lexluthor

Feb 7, 2007
I rooted my phone via one of the original methods (Odin file) when it first came out. When I put, the first screen says "custom". I don't think that original method tripped the flash counter.

After installing this via Odin, will I still get the "custom" message on boot?

Foxfi no longer works on jb, right?

lexluthor

Feb 7, 2007
you flash with odin, unlock with ez unlock, then use ez recovery to flash a custom recovery...just like we been doin since day 1. reread the op or look up section 1 of my guide ;)

I misread. Thought he said flash with cwm.

Anyhow, I'm not doing custom roms, so I'm stopping after Odin. Still interested to the questions I had a couple posts up.

droidstyle

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 7, 2011
Fort Wayne
I misread. Thought he said flash with cwm.

Anyhow, I'm not doing custom roms, so I'm stopping after Odin. Still interested to the questions I had a couple posts up.

the custom screen means your bootloader is locked. No the original method does not trip the flash counter. You basically use this file just like you did way back with VRALF2 root66 that mr. robinson was so kind to provide us with.

Reactions: lexluthor

edthesped

Sep 13, 2010
I take it this works? I'm thinking of downloading for future use

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a root injected Stock I535 (leaked) Odin Flashable Image. You flash this in Odin just as you would the completely stock ROM from samsung. I've simply injected the su binary and SuperSu app so you now have rooted stock image.

So if you want to keep your device stock yet have the functionality of root without tripping the counter or just flashing back to stock yet retaining root for a good baseline to move forward from, then this is a good option.

You can get ODIN here
    and the drivers for the SCH-I535 so ODIN can detect your phone can be found at Samsung's site. Click on the Manuals & Downloads tab at the bottom and then on Software for the latest driver.

Instructions:

First, Download Image:
    JB Image (4.1.2) Provided by open1your1eyes0 leak
    Main Download: No Wipe, latest 4.1.2 Image: root66_VZW_I535VRBMB1.7z
    Prior Version:
    Mirror 1: root66_VZW_I535VRBMA2.7z - This will wipe everything! Complete factory wipe. Caution, Includes /sdcard.
    Mirror 1: root66_VZW_I535VRBMA2_nowipe.7z - This will NOT wipe data or sdcard.

JB Image (4.1.1)
    Mirror 1: root66_VZW_I535VRBLK3.7z - This will wipe everything! Complete factory wipe. Caution, Includes /sdcard.
    Mirror 1: root66_VZW_I535VRBLK3_nowipe.7z - This will NOT wipe data or sdcard.

Older Leaked JB Image
    Mirror 1: root66_VZW_I535VRBLK1.7z - This will wipe everything! Complete factory wipe. Caution, Includes /sdcard.
    Mirror 2: root66_VZW_I535VRBLK1.7z - This will wipe everything! Complete factory wipe. Caution, Includes /sdcard.
    Mirror 1: root66_VZW_I535VRBLK1_nowipe.7z - This will NOT wipe data or sdcard.
    Mirror 2: root66_VZW_I535VRBLK1_nowipe.7z - This will NOT wipe data or sdcard.

Archived Images
    Mirror 1: root66_VZW_I535VRBLJ1.7z - This will wipe everything! Complete factory wipe. Caution, Includes /sdcard.
    Mirror 1: root66_VZW_I535VRBLJ1_nowipe.7z - This will NOT wipe data or sdcard.

Second, Extract and Flash:
    Extract the root66_VZW_I535VRBLK1.tar.md5 from the .7z file you downloaded.
    Use Odin, put phone into download mode [with phone off, hold vol. down + home + power ], connect to computer and open Odin.
    once in odin click the PDA field and select the root66_VZW_I535VRBLK1.tar.md5 you downloaded.
    Leave Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time checked.
    click start and
    when done let phone reboot.
    If you have issues flashing with Odin please ensure you are using the microusb cable that came with the phone, users have had issues using other cables.
    If you just want a stock, rooted phone with no custom recovery, no plans to flash custom roms, etc. then you can stop HERE.

Optional, Recovery (may now trip counter):
    Loading any custom recovery or custom kernel may now trip the download mode flash counter. Loading a non stock recovery will also prevent you from successfully applying any OTA updates however here is a procedure for any who want a non-stock recovery:
    The instructions here are for TWRP but you can follow same procedure for CWM as well.
    Option 1: Download GooManager from the Play store. Once installed click the menu and select "Install OpenRecovery Script".
    Option 2: Download the TWRP recovery image here. Copy it to the /sdcard of your phone.
    Connect your phone to your computer and use adb
    type adb shell
    once in the shell run su
    then
    dd if=/sdcard/openrecovery-twrp-2.3.1.0-d2vzw.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18

Alternate if unfamiliar with adb commands
    Grab android terminal emulator from the play store and run the same commands starting with su and then the dd command.

Bonus Files
    CWM Flashable OTA Upgrade (preserves root and non-stock recovery):
    ---------------:: root66_OTA_I535_VRBLK3_VRBMB1.zip
    CWM Flashable Modems: modem_CWM_I535VRBLK3.zip || modem_CWM_I535VRBMA2.zip
    ODIN Flashable Stock Recovery: VZW_recovery_I535VRBLK3.tar.md5 || VZW_recovery_I535VRBMA2.tar.md5

History:
    I've injected root into other stock images and those threads have a lot of valuable information which could answer some questions that may arise here. If you have time to do some reading here are a few of the informative ones:
    Samsung Galaxy S3 [ATT / Bell / Telus / Rogers / Sasktel ]
    Samsung Galaxy S3 [TMO / Wind / Mobilicity]
    Also did sprint but there isn't much there that won't be covered above.

FAQ
    1. Does this remove the VZW bloatware?
      A: No. It is same as stock, nothing is removed.
    2. Does this use an unlocked boot.img
      A: No. This flashes the stock boot.img in the VRBLJ1 image.
    3. Can I still get OTA updates?
      A: Yes if you do not load a custom recovery or remove any system apps OTA updates will still come and be able to be successfully applied. If you want to retain root through the OTA process I'd recommend using OTA Rootkeeper.
    Been away can post a k3 tonight for whoever wants.
    Thanks for posting this, are you planning on creating a root66 image of the final OTA as well?

Sent from my Galaxy S3

I typically don't do leaks. I'll do anything official for sure.
    We can finally grab a stock mb1 image for d2vzw from here:
    http://samsung-updates.com/device/?id=SCH-I535

Note that the image is totally stock, not rooted

And rooted is in the OP.
    I ask this only because you say you generally don't do leaks...

Will you be releasing leak 3? If so, I'll wait for yours as I prefer your method.

Thanks,

K1 is out! need some root injected stock odin tarball love ;)

ETA 2hrs from 0940 EST.