[Kindle Fire 2 Restore][Working!!!]-12/7/2012

Search This thread

bodi524

Apr 10, 2010
Google Pixel 3 XL
How to restore your Kindle Fire 2

Notes

Using the backup.sh from kinfauns that I modded because the partition table for the KF2 is not the same as the HD.
I attached the new backup.sh for the KF2 on this post.

Links

Restoration tool

I developed a Recovery Tool based of the one onemeila created for the KFHD.
This will restore your boot/recover partitions (good for if you are gonna mess with the Bootloader Crack)
Restore your system.img to a Deodexed Rooted 10.2.1 Software. I have stripped ALOT of Kindle Apps from this backup.
Erase userdata & cache cleanup should be done when restoring.

Credits
Kinfauns for the original backup.sh
Onemeila for his original Recovery Tool for the KFHD

Special thanks
verygreen, hashcode, and fattire for answering my endless and noobish questions and saying there HAS to be a way.

And all those who have offered to help me get a 10.2.1 system.img for the KF2

Enjoy!

Additional Info

The post here contains the partition table for the KF2.

How I did it:
Due to the raw system.img being too big for fastboot to flash back to the KF2 I had to make the raw image
a sparse image file using help found in this post.
  1. Mount the raw system.img (created and extracted from the system.img.gz using the backup.sh)
    Code:
    mkdir sys
    sudo mount -t ext4 -o loop system.img sys/
  2. Create a new flashable(sparse) system image.
    Code:
    sudo ./make_ext4fs -s -l 929038336 -a system new_system.img sys/
    sudo umount sys
    rm -fr sys

With that all said and done I was able to flash the sparse system.img to my KF2 and restore it!
It was bricked big time!!!!

Attachments

• backup.zip
    1.1 KB · Views: 5,739
Last edited:

bqq100

Mar 19, 2010
Virginia
Awesome! Glad to hear you got this working and thanks for posting! :D

Looks like I need to bust out the soldering iron and build myself a factory cable to get into fastboot mode. Using your backup image I think I have an idea on how to create a rooted 10.2.3 image, but I'm not very confident it will work.

I think i'll have some free time next week, so time to get a CM10 repo/original KF device tree setup on my linux system as a starting point.

Last edited:

irve

Nov 14, 2007
I'm in....

Hi bodi524....

I can't download the Recovery Tool, it keeps opening as i should read it, not download it :eek:

This will restore your boot/recover partitions (good for if you are gonna mess with the Bootloader Crack)
Restore your system.img to a Deodexed Rooted 10.2.1 Software. I have stripped ALOT of Kindle Apps from this backup.
Google Docs Link - removed from quote.

All those who have offered to help me get a 10.2.1 system.img for the KindFire2
I'm all in - what can I do to help...?

I'm off to working on the bootloader crack...hopefully the KF2 will be unlocked and have CM10 soon!
Looking forward to it - Get me out of the Amazon world :D

After much trouble figuring out how to backup and restore the KindleFire2 I have made a breakthru!!!
The restore of a KF2 is now a GO!

When Launching the "SR Tool.bat" on Windows 7 X64-bit it is not recognizing the device in fastboot. I tried replacing the adb.exe, fastboot.exe files you included and that was no help. Any ideas?

chronicfathead

Mar 23, 2008
Sleaford, Lincs
Am I right in thinking that this will recover a KF2 that has the red triangle. I used Rom Toolbox to change the RAM settings, set the SD boost and change the font. When it rebooted I got the red triangle. Rebooting and pushing the power button 5 times reboots to the red triangle again.

Wondering if I should try this or just contact Amazon.

EDIT: The kindle didn't even register on my PC any more. adb devices doesn't list anything anymore either so I think it's truly gone. I think 4 days is a record for me.

Sent using my Jelly fingers.

Last edited:

powerpoint45

Jan 31, 2012
Dallas
Am I right in thinking that this will recover a KF2 that has the red triangle. I used Rom Toolbox to change the RAM settings, set the SD boost and change the font. When it rebooted I got the red triangle. Rebooting and pushing the power button 5 times reboots to the red triangle again.

Wondering if I should try this or just contact Amazon.

EDIT: The kindle didn't even register on my PC any more. adb devices doesn't list anything anymore either so I think it's truly gone. I think 4 days is a record for me.

Sent using my Jelly fingers.

Factory cable?

Sent from my KFOT using xda app-developers app

powerpoint45

Jan 31, 2012
Dallas
Thanks for making this tut. Yesterday I couldn't figure out how to flash my system back because It was too big. This method worked.

chronicfathead

Mar 23, 2008
Sleaford, Lincs
Been looking for instructions on how to use the backup.sh, and I finally found them. Follow the instructions here to use the backup.sh located in the first post of this thread. DO NOT USE the backup.sh listed on the linked post.

Use this Backup.sh file: http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1544517&d=1354900827

Follow the backup info here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=32636163&postcount=1

None of my work, just thought it would help to make it easier to find.

The first time I ran the script, I could only see 4 zipped files. I copied those off and then ran the script again. The second time I couldn't see any files in the kindlebackups folder when using my PC, but I could see all the backups using ES File Manager. I ended up copying them to the downloads folder, and then I could see them from my PC.

Last edited:
Reactions: KindleRooteado

MisterSir69

Jan 1, 2013
This works great but the op could use some organization. Took me a good while to Find the file but once I got it worked like a charm.

iytrix

Dec 23, 2012
San Jose
This works great but the op could use some organization. Took me a good while to Find the file but once I got it worked like a charm.

ima fix that. I'm going to re-write this post. No idea if the OP will use my revision, but I did it for FMKilo and Powerpoint45 so far.

As a side note, if anyone else posts a main dev topic and wants me to do the layout and whatnot, let me know and I will. I don't mind doing it and making things clear for people since I have the time to do so :)

fmkilo

Oct 8, 2012
Cedar Rapids, IA,USA
ima fix that. I'm going to re-write this post. No idea if the OP will use my revision, but I did it for FMKilo and Powerpoint45 so far.

As a side note, if anyone else posts a main dev topic and wants me to do the layout and whatnot, let me know and I will. I don't mind doing it and making things clear for people since I have the time to do so :)
lol, actually working at work...

iytrix

Dec 23, 2012
San Jose
lol, actually working at work...

Pfffffffft. I actually may have to start doing that sadly. I could still re-write 2-3 posts a day though (4 days a week while I'm at work) so even if we got a bunch of devs and I re-wrote all the posts, still do-able haha. Today or this weekend I want to get a bunch of color codes so I can get nice themes going for people. Yours is red, PPT teal/blue, and this one is purple but I think it would need neat to have each dev having their own color scheme. Maybe I'm just odd though.

fmkilo

Oct 8, 2012
Cedar Rapids, IA,USA
Pfffffffft. I actually may have to start doing that sadly. I could still re-write 2-3 posts a day though (4 days a week while I'm at work) so even if we got a bunch of devs and I re-wrote all the posts, still do-able haha. Today or this weekend I want to get a bunch of color codes so I can get nice themes going for people. Yours is red, PPT teal/blue, and this one is purple but I think it would need neat to have each dev having their own color scheme. Maybe I'm just odd though.

sounds good to me...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    How to restore your Kindle Fire 2

Notes

Using the backup.sh from kinfauns that I modded because the partition table for the KF2 is not the same as the HD.
    I attached the new backup.sh for the KF2 on this post.

Links

Restoration tool

Credits
    Kinfauns for the original backup.sh
    Onemeila for his original Recovery Tool for the KFHD

Special thanks
    verygreen, hashcode, and fattire for answering my endless and noobish questions and saying there HAS to be a way.

And all those who have offered to help me get a 10.2.1 system.img for the KF2

Enjoy!

Additional Info

The post here contains the partition table for the KF2.

How I did it:
    Due to the raw system.img being too big for fastboot to flash back to the KF2 I had to make the raw image
    a sparse image file using help found in this post.
    1. Mount the raw system.img (created and extracted from the system.img.gz using the backup.sh)
      Code:
      mkdir sys
      sudo mount -t ext4 -o loop system.img sys/
    2. Create a new flashable(sparse) system image.
      Code:
      sudo ./make_ext4fs -s -l 929038336 -a system new_system.img sys/
      sudo umount sys
      rm -fr sys

With that all said and done I was able to flash the sparse system.img to my KF2 and restore it!
    It was bricked big time!!!!
    Quick and Simple.

All- Here are all three files. I believe this is 10.2.1 but Honestly can't remember since it's been so long since I've used them.

They are pre-rooted and originally came from HERE: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2096888

So PLEASE thank the OP at the above link. I also provided a simple batch file that when used with the correct ADB and FASTBOOT executables will flash the images to your device.

If you brick your stuff by using this... it's not my fault and please leave me alone.

Thanks.

And HERE are the files:
    http://goo.im/devs/mindmajick/Kindle2/Restore.zip

Over 300 downloads and two Thanks... lmao. Good thing I don't do this for the Thanks but still lololol

:D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
    Quick and Simple.

All- Here are all three files. I believe this is 10.2.1 but Honestly can't remember since it's been so long since I've used them.

They are pre-rooted and originally came from HERE: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2096888

So PLEASE thank the OP at the above link. I also provided a simple batch file that when used with the correct ADB and FASTBOOT executables will flash the images to your device.

If you brick your stuff by using this... it's not my fault and please leave me alone.

Thanks.

And HERE are the files:
    http://goo.im/devs/mindmajick/Kindle2/Restore.zip
    I got 10.2.3 working and rooted.
    I am going to pull a new system image for restore later tonight.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app
    If system.img is too big

I had trouble using fastboot to flash the system partition. System.img was too large and I was having trouble getting the environment up to build the sparse image.

My boot and recovery partitions were, however, set up to successfully boot TWRP recovery. I booted into TWRP, then I used adb to transfer the system.img to the internal storage.

adb push system.img /sdcard/

The I went into adb shell and used dd to write the image.

adb shell
    dd if=/sdcard/system.img of=/dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/system

Once this completed, I rebooted and the stock environment was in place.