AT&T reports my Nexus 5 as "LG 821"

Search This thread

mr_blanket

Apr 26, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
www.theslanket.com
I thought this was kind of interesting...
I bought my Nexus 5 from Tmobile (north america), found out that I have very little (read: zero) coverage between my home and work, so I had to cancel. I went ahead and paid off the N5 and switched to AT&T.

Oddly enough, the myAT&T screen shows me as having a LG 821, which, I believe, is the international version!

I found that concerning as I thought Tmobile might have worked better for me if I had the correct phone... but my bootloader shows D820.

Anyone else have the same quark on their myAT&T page?

S393asR.jpg

Reactions: hammersfd

an0ther

Sep 21, 2013
I bought my Nexus 5 from Tmobile (north america), found out that I have very little (read: zero) coverage between my home and work, so I had to cancel. I went ahead and paid off the N5 and switched to AT&T.

Oddly enough, the myAT&T screen shows me as having a LG 821, which, I believe, is the international version!

I found that concerning as I thought Tmobile might have worked better for me if I had the correct phone... but my bootloader shows D820.

S393asR.jpg

My wife and I both have Nexus 5's on at&t. I bought her's from google and mine from tmobile. Ours both show 821 too, but they are 820's. If they were 821's, you would have no LTE. Im in atlanta with lte everywhere.

WoodburyMan

Jun 7, 2011
Connecticut
LG821 here as well. I have LTE using attphone APN. I had a Galaxy S4 (LTE) before it, just kept that plan so it all works. Have to have had a LTE capable phone before you get the N5 for it to work properly with your plan to access LTE>

schwin97

May 26, 2010
LG821 here as well. I have LTE using attphone APN. I had a Galaxy S4 (LTE) before it, just kept that plan so it all works. Have to have had a LTE capable phone before you get the N5 for it to work properly with your plan to access LTE>

Do any of you get throttled on AT&T with the Nexus 5? I have the Galaxy Nexus, but a cracked screen and now water damage is making me purchase a new phone, and I have yet to be throttled while regularly using over 5G/month.

Thanks!

compuw22c

Dec 26, 2007
Chicago, IL
You only get throttled (or more accurately, your usage is only metered in the throttling system) when using PHONE or PTA apn. Using a galaxy nexus without lte, you're most likely on wap.cingular (which you can do on a phone with no lte). Once their system detects you're imei and determines you have an lte capable device, you're blocked from using wap.cingular, and this your usage will be monitored (as you'll need to use phone or pta). I can trick the system by putting my sim in my old non lte GS2 (i9100), doing "restore apns" then sim swapping back to my nexus 5. THEN I can use wap.cingular, but unfortunately after a day or two they do an imei sweep and I get locked out again :( On the bright side tmo just announced they'll be eliminating edge and upgrading everything to lte by 2015 so I'm looking forward to dumping ATT very soon.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

WoodburyMan

Jun 7, 2011
Connecticut
Do any of you get throttled on AT&T with the Nexus 5? I have the Galaxy Nexus, but a cracked screen and now water damage is making me purchase a new phone, and I have yet to be throttled while regularly using over 5G/month.

Thanks!

No throttle. On 6gb family share plan now. I can get over 50mbit/s in SpeedTest with full LTE signal. 95% of the time I'm on WiFi so to boot LTE speeds don't really matter. My data usage last month was a whole 500mb.

RainMotorsports

Dec 24, 2011
Samsung Epic 4G Touch
Google Nexus 5
Not sure if the International has a different structure for the ESN/IMEI but its quite possible the 821 is what they have in their system as the Nexus 5. They do have traveling customers on the device but more likely prepaid customers. Interesting one indeed.

compuw22c

Dec 26, 2007
Chicago, IL
No throttle. On 6gb family share plan now. I can get over 50mbit/s in SpeedTest with full LTE signal. 95% of the time I'm on WiFi so to boot LTE speeds don't really matter. My data usage last month was a whole 500mb.

He's asking about the UNLIMITED plan being throttled I'm sure, and yes it will after 5gb, unless you're on the wap.cingular apn as I described above.

I should mention that the Nexus 4 will NOT be blocked from wap.cingular as it does not have LTE, so if true unlimited data is that important maybe the Nexus 4 might be a better choice.

Last edited:

compuw22c

Dec 26, 2007
Chicago, IL
ATT sent me a message saying I would be throttled at 3GB even though I have "unlimited data", and being throttled sucks, its awful.

Should be 5gb on an LTE device. I'd call in with your imei to get put on an LTE unlimited plan if you're not already (hspa plans throttle after 3gb.). Note that you don't need to be on LTE or even have an LTE device, you just need any att compatible imei to give them so you're on the right plan.

Reactions: mistahseller

KedarWolf

Apr 27, 2012
How Do I Check The Model Number?

Hi,

Bought my phone from Google Play. How do I check the model number other then the boot loader?

I checked in 'About Phone', can't find it. :confused:

Edit. XDA really has to stop ads from playing with audio with while on the site, drives me nuts. :(

Last edited:

cesierra

May 16, 2008
Miami
LG K8 (2018)
Motorola One
I tried to use the phone on PTA or Phone APN but it only accepts wap.cingular, because I switched from a 3G phone. The CS rep said my plan is not compatible with LTE, and nothing can be done. I am stuck with HSPA. Oh well, the plus side, I am not throttled.

Jerryatric

Oct 4, 2010
Rochester, MN

This is not true. My wife has a T-Mobile N5 and I have a play store N5. Just started ATT service yesterday and we both have LTE. Also both devices show up as LG 821.

nb31b

Jan 14, 2014
Hi,

Bought my phone from Google Play. How do I check the model number other then the boot loader?

I checked in 'About Phone', can't find it. :confused:

Edit. XDA really has to stop ads from playing with audio with while on the site, drives me nuts. :(

Did you try looking at the box?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

WoodburyMan

Jun 7, 2011
Connecticut
This is not true. My wife has a T-Mobile N5 and I have a play store N5. Just started ATT service yesterday and we both have LTE. Also both devices show up as LG 821.

This is true in some cases. It depends on the person that sets your phone up. Search. When they provision the phone, some AT&T workers, since the Nexus 5 is officially not in their provisioning software, have to select a generic template. If they are smart and do the right thing, you get set up with a LTE capable provisioning for your phone that works perfect. Some however don't know what they are doing and set the phone up with a plan that cannot access 3G for whatever reason. It completely depends on the person provisioning your phone. With phones that are in AT&T's system that might be unlocked but are in their system, such as Galaxy S4 Google Edition or something, it works no problem since the S4 is in their system. However with "oddball" phones like ours that AT&T doesn't officially support you run into issues as some workers may not know how to handle them.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

S393asR.jpg
    ATT sent me a message saying I would be throttled at 3GB even though I have "unlimited data", and being throttled sucks, its awful.

Should be 5gb on an LTE device. I'd call in with your imei to get put on an LTE unlimited plan if you're not already (hspa plans throttle after 3gb.). Note that you don't need to be on LTE or even have an LTE device, you just need any att compatible imei to give them so you're on the right plan.