• Good phone, considering purchase

Votes: 30 19.2%
  • Not so good, will not buy it

Votes: 9 5.8%

• Total voters
Search This thread

miljenko

May 4, 2009
I'm proud owner of the THL W200 phone, QuadCore MTK6589T 1,5GHz, 1GB RAM, 8 GB ROM, 5" OGS screen, etc
Few days ago I noticed that THL announced new version of this phone called W200s, they did similar thing with W100.
Phone outfit is the same, which is good in my opinion, very thin, good ergonomic for 5", narrow bezel around screen, etc. One more advantage of the same design is that we can use W200 accessories.

Main advantages over older brother are:
- OctaCore MTK6592 processor on 1,7 GHz
- Corning Gorilla Glass 3
- 32 GB ROM (still need to check partition layout, but this can be easily changed)
- BSI back camera should give better photos and higher frame rate under low light

I'm long time Pandawill buyer and I will buy this phone from them. It is on pre-sale until 20th February for 199.99 $ and as I been said by CS they will start shipping at the end of February.

I just hope that this phone will have same interest as older brother. I have made few firmwares and Russians made huge base of firmwares ported from different phones. Anyway once I get phone itself, I will try to make CWM/TWRP and cleaned firmware based on stock with some additions.

Basic Information
Model ThL W200S
Band 2G: GSM 850/900/1800/1900MHz
3G: WCDMA 850/2100MHz
Sim Card Dual SIM Card Dual Standby
Service Provide Unlocked
Style Bar
Color Black
Shell Material Plastic

System
OS Android 4.2
CPU MTK6592, Cortex A7 octa core, 1.7GHz;
GPU: Mali-450 MP4
ROM 32GB
RAM 1GB

Screen
Display Size 5.0 Inch
Type IPS, G+F+F full lamination screen, Corning III gorilla glass
Resolution 1280 x 720 pixels
Screen Color 16000K Colors

General
Camera/Picture Resolution Dual Cameras, 5.0MP front camera, 8.0MP BSI back camera
with flashlight and auto focus, support 1080P video record
Language English, Bahasa Indonesia, Bahasa Melayu, Cestina, Deutsch,
Espanol, Filipino, French, Italiano, Magyar,
Nederlands, Portuguese, Romana, Vietnamese, Turkish,
Greek, Russian, Hebrew, Arabic, Thai,
Simplified/Traditional Chinese
Phonebook 500
Message SMS/MMS
Input Handwrite/Keypad
TV No
GPS Yes, built in, also support A-GPS
JAVA No
WIFI Yes, 802.11 b/g/n
Bluetooth Bluetooth 4.0
Gravity Sensor Yes
Multi-Touch Yes, 5 point touch
Dimensions 141.5 x 71 x 9.3mm/5.57 x 2.79 x 0.36 inch
Net Weight(Including battery) 152g
Standby Time About 2~3 days
Other Feature 3G, WIFI, GPS, FM, Bluetooth, Ebook, Email,
Messaging, wallpapers, calendar, calculator,
clock, camera, tethering & portable hotspot, compass,
OTG, LED notification, AAC speaker, etc

Package
Size 180 x 100 x 60mm/7.08 x 3.93 x 2.36 inch
Weight 487g
Accessories 1 x 1800mAh Battery
1 x USB Cable
1 x Charger
1 x Screen Protector
1 x Protective Back Case
1 x User Manual(English-Russian-Spanish-German)

As you can see Pandawill made an effort and included original screen protector (great quality) and hard plastic back case in they package.

I will update this post to include files and information how to improve our W200s

CARLIV TOUCH RECOVERY made by me :D
TWRP 2.6.3.0 made by me :cowboy:
STOCK FACTORY FIRMWARE 10140221

SP FLASH TOOL V5

STOCK FIRMWARE, ROOT, TWRP - for SP FLASH TOOL

VANILLA EXPERIENCE FIRMWARE

MINIMAL ZOPO998 FIRMWARE PORT

Phone can be rooted by FRAMAROOT choosing Barahir option (until June firmware)

RESTORE IMEI TUTORIAL

KITKAT RECOVERY

Last edited:

EvangelineX

Aug 24, 2013
T200 is different type of the phone, mainly called phablet because of 6" large screen (for my taste too large).
Other things are:

-RAM, T200 have 2GB and this is plus.
-Camera, T200 have 13 MPx camera, but W200s have 8MPx BSI camera which is better then standard 13 MPx

etc.

For me maximum screen size for a phone is 5" and I will never consider anything bigger.
In fact, I prefer THL W200S, because THL W200S cheap, and the size is not large. I want to buy THL W200S phone, http://www.thlmobilestore.com/ this site be trusted? Or there are other sites credible?

Last edited:
Reactions: peter_90

miljenko

May 4, 2009
I already ordered one. I will share my experience once I receive phone. Since I already have W200, comparision test will be made.

Sent from my W200 using Tapatalk

elsita

Nov 16, 2009
I am waiting to receive mine from antelife, they have delayed a few days delivery date, I already expected that:

Dear customer,

We are sorry to tell you that THL W200S will be in stock at the end of the month.
Please wait a little more patiently. as soon as it is in stock. we will send it out
and you will get the track number

Have a nice day
Best regards
Caroline

About the camera, BSI is a technology developed by sony to get better pictures in low light condition, it is the same technology they use in their eximor chips, and one of them is the one thl has put in their t200c model, so I don't expect better results in w200s than in t200c, but I expect some better results from w200 witc my wife owns, so I will compare it also

2 gigs RAM is fine, but not really needed today for an HD screen, although it is a must for fullhd wich I think is of no use at all in screens this size, so I am very glad with the configuration chosen by thl for this model, I think it is the best quality/price phone avalaible today among all mobile phones, and I am pretty confident it will get number 1 choiced chinese mobile phone in months to come

it seems framaroot 1.9.1 can now root this soc, so it would be very easy to make a full backup of the rom and a cwm recovery using mtkdroidtools

let's hope mediatek delivers kit kat for this soc as promised so we can update it easily, and we will have a really cheap and great phone for the next couple of years (I hope)

there is already a video on youtube where you can see there is no nfc settings, the sim card slots are full size, and the memory comes with a 6 gigs partition por apps and 23 for internal sd, a good choice should I say

http://youtu.be/4md-qd2ZMIQ

Last edited:

Duke Dorian

Mar 3, 2014
Alexandria
POCO X4 Pro
As you can see Pandawill made an effort and included original screen protector (great quality) and hard plastic back case in they package.

NOTE - I cannot wait to see did they fixed capacitive buttons light intensity.[/QUOTE]

In regards to the last point regarding the capacitive buttons, I received my phone today and I'm afraid to say that you can hardly see any light emitting from the buttons. Everything else seems good though, just this old problem again.

miljenko

May 4, 2009
I have received my W200s yesterday and I can say that I'm satisfied.
I have reived white and capacitive buttons backlight is improved and visible.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

frietfriet

Jul 6, 2008
I have received my W200s yesterday and I can say that I'm satisfied.
I have reived white and capacitive buttons backlight is improved and visible.

good for you!
It would be nice if you Can post a small comparison with the old W200. Especially the camera would be interesting to me.
And of course the performance (glitches etc.)
The other stuff seems to be OK.
What about the display? is it the same as the W200?
Thanks in advance!

miljenko

May 4, 2009
I will record comparision video. As for other things.... Camera seems better, display have lower light on minimal (better), sound is better on the speaker, button baclight fixed, etc. You will see. I have to make firmware first, :)

elsita

Nov 16, 2009
I will record comparision video. As for other things.... Camera seems better, display have lower light on minimal (better), sound is better on the speaker, button baclight fixed, etc. You will see. I have to make firmware first, :)

don't forget to test notification led and colours, and share recovery if you make it :)

elsita

Nov 16, 2009
Made recovery with MTK Droid, attached for your test or whatever you need. I just use it to make backup.

Copy rocovery.img to internal SD root and use MobileUncle to flash it.

thanks for sharing, I am waiting for my phone and I wanted to have everything ready when it arrives home :)

miljenko

May 4, 2009
OK people,

After few hours of using W200s I can say that THL fixed some issues addressed at this Forum/thread.

- Capacitive buttons backlight is working now, it is not perfect but it visible as you can see at my attached photo.
- Compass is working properly in horizontal and vertical phone position.
- Internal memory is 6 GB and rest is on internal storage (something like 22GB), no need for repartitioning
- Minimal brightness is lower then on older brother W200 and auto brightness is smoother and quicker (probably newer sensor)
- Camera is way better in dark environment, no slowdowns and pictures are crisper even without flash
- etc.

I made recovery and backed up firmware. I will upload everyithing on NeedRom during next days.

Also Root can be achieved by Framaroot by choosing "Barahir" option.

Reactions: satiros and astrah5

blueyehun

Aug 26, 2009
Do you think we can make the same LED modification (changing lights.default.so) as it was possible on the w200 to show notifications?

miljenko

May 4, 2009
Carliv Touch CWM 6.0.44

I was not satisfied with standard CWM and compiled Carliv's Touch recovery 6.0.44 for THL W200s

Attachments

• recovery.img
    5.8 MB · Views: 2,395

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm proud owner of the THL W200 phone, QuadCore MTK6589T 1,5GHz, 1GB RAM, 8 GB ROM, 5" OGS screen, etc
    Few days ago I noticed that THL announced new version of this phone called W200s, they did similar thing with W100.
    Phone outfit is the same, which is good in my opinion, very thin, good ergonomic for 5", narrow bezel around screen, etc. One more advantage of the same design is that we can use W200 accessories.

Main advantages over older brother are:
    - OctaCore MTK6592 processor on 1,7 GHz
    - Corning Gorilla Glass 3
    - 32 GB ROM (still need to check partition layout, but this can be easily changed)
    - BSI back camera should give better photos and higher frame rate under low light

I'm long time Pandawill buyer and I will buy this phone from them. It is on pre-sale until 20th February for 199.99 $ and as I been said by CS they will start shipping at the end of February.

I just hope that this phone will have same interest as older brother. I have made few firmwares and Russians made huge base of firmwares ported from different phones. Anyway once I get phone itself, I will try to make CWM/TWRP and cleaned firmware based on stock with some additions.

Basic Information
    Model ThL W200S
    Band 2G: GSM 850/900/1800/1900MHz
    3G: WCDMA 850/2100MHz
    Sim Card Dual SIM Card Dual Standby
    Service Provide Unlocked
    Style Bar
    Color Black
    Shell Material Plastic

System
    OS Android 4.2
    CPU MTK6592, Cortex A7 octa core, 1.7GHz;
    GPU: Mali-450 MP4
    ROM 32GB
    RAM 1GB

Screen
    Display Size 5.0 Inch
    Type IPS, G+F+F full lamination screen, Corning III gorilla glass
    Resolution 1280 x 720 pixels
    Screen Color 16000K Colors

General
    Camera/Picture Resolution Dual Cameras, 5.0MP front camera, 8.0MP BSI back camera
    with flashlight and auto focus, support 1080P video record
    Language English, Bahasa Indonesia, Bahasa Melayu, Cestina, Deutsch,
    Espanol, Filipino, French, Italiano, Magyar,
    Nederlands, Portuguese, Romana, Vietnamese, Turkish,
    Greek, Russian, Hebrew, Arabic, Thai,
    Simplified/Traditional Chinese
    Phonebook 500
    Message SMS/MMS
    Input Handwrite/Keypad
    TV No
    GPS Yes, built in, also support A-GPS
    JAVA No
    WIFI Yes, 802.11 b/g/n
    Bluetooth Bluetooth 4.0
    Gravity Sensor Yes
    Multi-Touch Yes, 5 point touch
    Dimensions 141.5 x 71 x 9.3mm/5.57 x 2.79 x 0.36 inch
    Net Weight(Including battery) 152g
    Standby Time About 2~3 days
    Other Feature 3G, WIFI, GPS, FM, Bluetooth, Ebook, Email,
    Messaging, wallpapers, calendar, calculator,
    clock, camera, tethering & portable hotspot, compass,
    OTG, LED notification, AAC speaker, etc

Package
    Size 180 x 100 x 60mm/7.08 x 3.93 x 2.36 inch
    Weight 487g
    Accessories 1 x 1800mAh Battery
    1 x USB Cable
    1 x Charger
    1 x Screen Protector
    1 x Protective Back Case
    1 x User Manual(English-Russian-Spanish-German)

I will update this post to include files and information how to improve our W200s

CARLIV TOUCH RECOVERY made by me :D
    TWRP 2.6.3.0 made by me :cowboy:
    STOCK FACTORY FIRMWARE 10140221

SP FLASH TOOL V5

STOCK FIRMWARE, ROOT, TWRP - for SP FLASH TOOL

VANILLA EXPERIENCE FIRMWARE

MINIMAL ZOPO998 FIRMWARE PORT

Phone can be rooted by FRAMAROOT choosing Barahir option (until June firmware)

RESTORE IMEI TUTORIAL

KITKAT RECOVERY
    W200s VanillaExperience

To satisfy my curiosity and to meet some requests, new firmware is here and I gave it a name VanillaExperience. It is based on latest Newman K19 firmware released on 19/03/14. Everything is working like a charm, only one bug is present, when enter camera change aspect ratio to 4:3 and set right resolution, after you can return to 16:9

Also incorporating root rights was braking something, and thus root is not achieved right after install, but Framaroot is incorporated and just choose "Barahir" option.

Full developers options are there, just enable them by tapping 6 times on to "Build number".

Firmware is clean JellyBean Android (Vanilla), even launcher is basic Trabuchet. Since Elsita reported higher battery drain due to LED fix, I left factory default without changes.

What to tell you more, try it and your comments or suggestions are welcome.

DOWNLOAD HERE
    ZOPO 998 minimal PORT

Everything works, ZOPO framework, xperia launcher, striped to the bone, less than 190 MB. Xposed and Gravitybox working

DOWNLOAD
    So just to let any new users know what I've found works.

For the proximity sensor fault I used the fix here. Thanks to Asterisd, this fix has survived throughout flashing back to stock with SP Flash Tool and works even though I have never removed the screen cover that came pre-installed with the phone. It has remained working on every ROM I have tried. You can check the proximity sensor function with the app Phone Tester.

I initially installed SP Flash Tool to my PC and the USB VCOM drivers. Thanks to Miljenko here and Khonshu over at chinaphonearena.com.

To flash new ROMS I used both the TWRP posted in the first post of this thread by Miljenko and also the one over at needrom.com by SevenMaxs, doesn't seem to be any difference to me purely a matter of aesthetics.

Vanilla by Miljenko I thought had solved all my problems but when I actually sat down and went through this thread I realised I was indeed seeing the battery only charge to 4.2v rather than 4.35v, this necessitated a change of ROM.

I had a problem with CM11 and google search crashing which was a deal breaker for me so I didn't play around with it too much initially but went back to it as I didn't find it had the battery bug like Vanilla. I used the CM11 ROM found over at needrom.com (You need to register for an account to download - it's free) Thanks to hadae over at needrom.

To fix the google search crash I used the root unistaller app from playstore and uninstalled all google search then reinstalled it directly from playstore once again. I also uninstalled a few things I wasn't interested in keeping such as the Apollo music player.

To fix the NFC bug when coming out of airplane mode I used Root Uninstaller to uninstall NFC Service (requires a restart afterwards)

Now I also had a problem with GPS not really getting a fix so I used MT GPS EPO Fix and downloaded the EPO data then MobileUncle MTK Tools Go into engineer mode - MTK, Location tab and select YGPS,go to INFORMATION tab and then hit "hot", "full", "AGPS restart" this seemed to improve things considerably. GPS Test is a useful app to check what's going on.

This has been a result of a fair bit of trial and effort and a lot of reading so I hope that someone finds it helpful.

I think Miljenko deserves many thanks for all his hard work and advice on this thread, as well as those that have helped me over the last couple of posts. Just trying to give a little back.:)
    New firmware, THL W200s MyUI based on stock

OK I have created few new firmwares for W200s and I will share them with you. Actually for now I will share two of them, stock firmware with some fine tuning called W200s Pandawill ROM and MyUI for W200s.

Please find attached screens from MyUI. I will upload it to NeedROM later and it will be available this evening or tomorrow.