KK update or JB Rom

Search This thread

Spudz30

Apr 11, 2014
Hey guys, been looking through the forum all morning at different ROM's. I considered the KK upgrade, however can't find a working link to a DL, my telco still have not released the KK update.

I have N9005 model, on 4.3 rooted using Chainfire, have CWM. I DL a 4.3 ROM, but can't figure out how to get it on my phone from PC (I sent the zip file over, but it does not show up on CWM), I found a few KK ROMS that interest me, but can't find a working link to a DL of 4.4.2 it for me to flash. I would post in the respective thread, but I cn't post in the developer forums yet.

As I understand to do most roms on here now, I need to flash 4.4.2, Root it, install new version of CWM, then install the rom.
However if I have used CWM to do a nandroid backup, is it possible to flash it back to that, or is any chance of 4.3 gone once I flash 4.4

I know this is very noob, but we all gotta learn some day.

Any help, even a link to 4.4.2 DL would be awesome.

Journyman16

Aug 26, 2012
Murray Bridge
Hey guys, been looking through the forum all morning at different ROM's. I considered the KK upgrade, however can't find a working link to a DL, my telco still have not released the KK update.

I have N9005 model, on 4.3 rooted using Chainfire, have CWM. I DL a 4.3 ROM, but can't figure out how to get it on my phone from PC (I sent the zip file over, but it does not show up on CWM), I found a few KK ROMS that interest me, but can't find a working link to a DL of 4.4.2 it for me to flash. I would post in the respective thread, but I cn't post in the developer forums yet.

As I understand to do most roms on here now, I need to flash 4.4.2, Root it, install new version of CWM, then install the rom.
However if I have used CWM to do a nandroid backup, is it possible to flash it back to that, or is any chance of 4.3 gone once I flash 4.4

I know this is very noob, but we all gotta learn some day.

Any help, even a link to 4.4.2 DL would be awesome.
First thing, if you go to KK you can't come back. Nobody has yet found a way to reset Knox or to revert the bootloader from KK. Go to it and you're stuck with it. May not matter depending on how you use your phone but there's a thread on here where the poster actually got his phone replaced because KK update meant he could no longer use it as he wanted and as he had it set up under 4.3.
(see http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2709623 )
You've already tripped Knox using Chainfire's autoroot so you're free to do pretty much whatever you wish. I have stayed with 4.3, using Alliance ROM, Philz recovery and Lean kernel because the phone is awesome using them and KK seems to be generating lots of problems even now and doesn't appear to offer anything really worth having to make up for the troubles... IMO.

If you can't see the zip in CWM the most likely reason is you're looking at the wrong 'card' - in Philz recovery for example, the external SD card is SDCard1, not SDCard. At a guess you have copied the zip to the external card and CWM is looking on the internal memory.Not sure what the options are for plain CWM but look for another card option or move the zip from where you have it. Given the best flash is to wipe everything on the internal memory, the external card is the best location - it won't be wiped.

Another way to do it is to use Odin - extract the zip till you get the MD5 file and flash that via Odin to the phone - you need to put the phone in Download mode to do it. (hold Menu + Vol Down + Power to get to DL mode) There are threads on here with instructions on how to use Odin.

Spudz30

Apr 11, 2014
First thing, if you go to KK you can't come back. Nobody has yet found a way to reset Knox or to revert the bootloader from KK. Go to it and you're stuck with it. May not matter depending on how you use your phone but there's a thread on here where the poster actually got his phone replaced because KK update meant he could no longer use it as he wanted and as he had it set up under 4.3.
(see http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2709623 )
You've already tripped Knox using Chainfire's autoroot so you're free to do pretty much whatever you wish. I have stayed with 4.3, using Alliance ROM, Philz recovery and Lean kernel because the phone is awesome using them and KK seems to be generating lots of problems even now and doesn't appear to offer anything really worth having to make up for the troubles... IMO.

If you can't see the zip in CWM the most likely reason is you're looking at the wrong 'card' - in Philz recovery for example, the external SD card is SDCard1, not SDCard. At a guess you have copied the zip to the external card and CWM is looking on the internal memory.Not sure what the options are for plain CWM but look for another card option or move the zip from where you have it. Given the best flash is to wipe everything on the internal memory, the external card is the best location - it won't be wiped.

Another way to do it is to use Odin - extract the zip till you get the MD5 file and flash that via Odin to the phone - you need to put the phone in Download mode to do it. (hold Menu + Vol Down + Power to get to DL mode) There are threads on here with instructions on how to use Odin.

I will stick with JB for now as I like my setup anyway. I know how odin works and CWM was definitely looking at my External SD as my backup was on it. This is the ROM I was trying http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2541304 I DL, extracted to a folder on my PC, put onto my micro SD, but alas, nothing to choose from to flash.

Found the Alliance one for N9005, looks real nice, so will give it a shot.

Last edited:

Spudz30

Apr 11, 2014
Urghhhh why is it after hours of trawling and googling I can't find my answer. I did the alliance ROM (and now know how my first rom stuffed up) how do I get rid of the icon in the top left which shows download rate? Can't find the option anywhere on phone

Edited: Found it myself.

Last edited:

Spudz30

Apr 11, 2014
Final bit of noob from me for now. I tried to restore my CWM backup after installing Alliance, alliance overwrote CWM with TWRP, I did a factory reset, but could not restore from backup. It noted my CWM backup, but I could not restore it. Anything I did wrong here?

Edited: Once again from learning I fixed my own issue. Reflashed CWM, restored from todays backup, phone has gone from factory reset to how it was earlier today. Love the nandroid backup.

Last edited: