[Info][WIP] LET's FIGURE OUT the sleep of Death!!!! [NOT A ROM]

Search This thread

jcarrz1

Retired Recognized Developer
May 26, 2009
scienceprousa.com
Does anyone have a logcat from their dead transformer, during/around the time when it died?

Has anyone noticed any trends in when it happens? I saw something about 82% battery but I think that's just a coincidence.

Please post here so we can get to the bottom of this.

Jcarrz1
I think this is dev, unless it's a hardware issue. But hopefully we'll be able to discern that.

Reactions: dcarr622

jrac86

Feb 23, 2009
I have had multiple sleep of death issues after rooting. When I flashed back to the stock Blob, they stopped. Every time I root to Blob V5 (I am on the most recent firmware), they come back. I tried MoDaCo's Rom - they still occurred. Trying Prime's Rom now - so far it's working without any sleep of deaths.

spuniun

Oct 7, 2006
I was on MoDaCo's Hr4 for a few days and never had a sleep of death. Since installing Prime 1.2 I've had 3 or 4.

Since we've had completely opposite experiences I think we can safely rule out that this issue is ROM related.

ssj4vegita2002

Jul 24, 2009
Lyndhurst
I've used both those roms and never had a sleep of death. But I also used the root method without the v5 blob, just the standard GingerbreakBB.

kenblat

Nov 4, 2010
mine case: downgrade back to 8.2.2.6 using SD method (EP101_SDUPDATE.zip) then Gigerbreakbb then the BLOBV5 => lots of SOD issue.

May be we must update to the latest 8.2.3.9 before break using gingerbreakbb and install BLOBV5?

BR

jrac86

Feb 23, 2009
Blob 5 is made to work with 8.2.3.9... It will most definitely have issues with the old firmware.

I am beginning to think the issue is with one of my apps and its settings. When I am rooted, I use Titanium Backup to restore my data and maybe the reason for the SOD is because something in an application isn't playing nice with Honeycomb... Obviously when I am not rooted, I cannot restore the settings and thus no SOD.

I just flashed back to root with Blob V5. Going to see if there are any SOD issues before installing apps... Will probably install one by one to try to see if I can find the problem - A PITA, but I really want the SOD to stop.

The-Nazgul

Dec 13, 2009
Had it with latest asus Update, no root and 40% brightness + wifi sleeps while screen is off. Lockscreen was enabled.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

Edit:
Had another one after changing wifi sleep policy. I think it is wifi related.

Last edited:

spuniun

Oct 7, 2006
Had it with latest asus Update, no root and 40% brightness + wifi sleeps while screen is off. Lockscreen was enabled.

Edit:
Had another one after changing wifi sleep policy. I think it is wifi related.

Other threads are pointing to the WiFi scanning be enabled. I have flashed back to MoDaCo Hr4 (because it was more stable for me than Prime 1.2) and also disabled WiFi notifications and will report back if/when I get a SOD.

Putzy

Oct 18, 2010
London
Unrooted, getting about one or two of these a day depending...... seems to happen more if I've left it sleeping for an hour or more.

Reactions: b3ltazar

jcarrz1

Retired Recognized Developer
May 26, 2009
scienceprousa.com
Unrooted, getting about one or two of these a day depending...... seems to happen more if I've left it sleeping for an hour or more.

this could relate to wifi scanning as well. were you connected, and what are your current settings?

Thanks for participating everyone, so far there isn't a conclusive answer.

However, could someone install log collector from the market, and leave it there until the BlackSOD happens, and then upload the file? that would be super awesome. preferably someone who gets them all the time. if the last thing in the logcat is consistently wifi-related, then we're on to something.

is there any firmware version on which NOBODY has EVER had a BlackSOD? This could be worth looking in to as well.

Reactions: dcarr622

jrac86

Feb 23, 2009
Well, I rerooted and have installed about 80% of my apps. So far no SOD. I have a few more apps to install and I usually freeze some of the unwanted apps. Will post an update later. Also, I read on other forums that fancy widget caused issues like this on other tablets. I had been using beautiful widgets I wonder if the way that tries to access wifi causes issues.

The apps I have yet to install are:
Watchdog lite, beautiful widgets, adfree android

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

The-Nazgul

Dec 13, 2009
Just had one while wifi was disabled! I guess that makes it less likely that wifi causes the problem.

Next time I will upload a logfile!

Scottland

Jun 6, 2006
I've had 2 so far, both with Hr4 and blob v5. Battery has been at different levels, so I think thats a coincidence.

Highland3r

Sep 27, 2009
Has anyone tested on a 100% Factory reset device (either with a custom or stock ROM?) That should help rule out any apps which may cause the problem.

FWIW, never had this issue (have run Stock, HR1 -> HR4 & Prime V1.2)

spuniun

Oct 7, 2006
Had a SOD this morning on Hr4 so I will run Log Collector today and hope to catch another. I'm assuming that Log Collector is continually writing to my Gmail draft so it should be there after the full reboot? Doesn't seem like it will let me mirror logcat to a file on sdcard...

sent from a device using an app

dfin13

Aug 23, 2007
Memphis, TN
I realize this isn't the least bit helpful, but after having several SoD issues, and trying all the fixes (and then undoing them), I haven't had the issue for a week now. Mine would do it sporadically -- it would happen once in a day, and then 3 times in a day -- and the only thing I've left changed is disabling the lock screen, but I think that's just coincidence. This will be a hard one for Asus to nail down.

Hopefully someone produces a helpful log for Asus, I'm sure some non-XDA people may think they have a dead tablet rather than one they have to force power down and reboot.

spuniun

Oct 7, 2006
Had a SOD this morning on Hr4 so I will run Log Collector today and hope to catch another. I'm assuming that Log Collector is continually writing to my Gmail draft so it should be there after the full reboot? Doesn't seem like it will let me mirror logcat to a file on sdcard
So it does not seem that this app will work because it only collects logs in real-time, does not store them for later analyzing. What else can I use other than leaving adb logcat running?

sent from a device using an app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If you combine the WIFI speculation with the Fancy Widget speculation you get:

periodic data usage while screen off.

IT COULD BE ASUS' WIDGET!!!

someone who gets them All the Time should try deleting their widget
    It really makes me a sad panda when people post stuff every day with stuff liek

No sleep death for me since 3.1
    Oh...I still get sleep death since 3.1

No sleep death when I use/don't use auto brightness
    Oh, I still get sleep when I use/don't use auto brightness

No sleep death when I sprinkle the blood of a virgin unicorn on my Transformer at night
    Oh...I still get sleep death when I sprinkle the blood of a virgin unicorn on my Transformer at night

If you want to see progress on this, please go back a few pages (posted about two weeks ago), see where I posted instructions on logging the kernel messages, and when you get a sleep death, POST A LINK to the output. If you guys just want to have a thread where you post random userspace tweaks that AREN'T going to work (or even if they did, you shouldn't accept that THAT is what you had to do to not get random shutdowns), you're more than welcome to, but it's really not going to get us anywhere.
    Does anyone have a logcat from their dead transformer, during/around the time when it died?

Has anyone noticed any trends in when it happens? I saw something about 82% battery but I think that's just a coincidence.

Please post here so we can get to the bottom of this.

Jcarrz1
    I think this is dev, unless it's a hardware issue. But hopefully we'll be able to discern that.

this could relate to wifi scanning as well. were you connected, and what are your current settings?

Thanks for participating everyone, so far there isn't a conclusive answer.

However, could someone install log collector from the market, and leave it there until the BlackSOD happens, and then upload the file? that would be super awesome. preferably someone who gets them all the time. if the last thing in the logcat is consistently wifi-related, then we're on to something.

is there any firmware version on which NOBODY has EVER had a BlackSOD? This could be worth looking in to as well.