[SOLVED] - Xperia Z Ultra Poor Signal Reception Indoor

Search This thread

Al3xxxinho

Jun 19, 2008
Craiova
Hello,

I have bought an used xperia ultra off the internet.

The problem is that outdoor I have no issue with my signal. But when I go inside the signal drops and it shows me NO NETWORK.

Is there any solution for this ?

Thank you in advance !

I have tried software update and hard reset with no luck ...

Last edited:

LordManhattan

Oct 20, 2007
Kepler-34b
Depends on the type of house you're living in and the general coverage in your area. I live in a concrete apartment and i have excellent coverage, so it might be the coverage in your area? How many lines do you have when you're outside?

Al3xxxinho

Jun 19, 2008
Craiova
Now I am using my sim card in a nexus 4 and i get full signal in the same place where my xperia doesn't.

The cell tower is not very far away ...

So, the house is not a problem ...

P.s : nexus 4 has full signal on wcdma but xperia has no signal/poor signal even on edge/gprs ...

As you can see in the picture, every phone tested with that sim has full signal in the same place. But not the xperia ... I think it's "blessed" ...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1391217112024.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1391217112024.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 1,707
Last edited:

dannejanne

Mar 23, 2011
Norrköping, Sweden
Weird. I get better signal than ever with my Z Ultra. Inside on the countryside right now where my signal always was 1-2 bars with most of my other Androids and i often lost the signal temporarily. I'm sitting on full 4 bars now with my Z. Amazing!

Sent from my Z Ultra

Al3xxxinho

Jun 19, 2008
Craiova
Well you are a lucky man, congratulations. My problem is that I bought the phone in a different country and I'm pretty sure that the folks here in my country will deny the warranty ... And going back in the country of purchase is not an option.

Does anyone have a Modem/Baseband that could be flashed to see if the problem still persists?

Thank you !

Last edited:
Reactions: KyCeK

Al3xxxinho

Jun 19, 2008
Craiova
Problem solved ...

For all of you that experience the same problem, take a hot air gun, heat up the back of the phone, and slowly take it off with a suction cup.

After doing that, check the cable that comes from the antenna to the motherboard. Mine was loose, and I hat to fit it back in it's correct place.

After powering on the phone, the signal is OK !

Attached a photo below:

DSC00669.jpg

And a video with disassembly instructions.

Hope that helps you.

neverborn

Aug 9, 2010
Hi there - by antenna, do you mean the whitish cable on the right-most section of your picture?

Another thing, did the back cover stay attached perfectly after you've re-assembled it? I mean using the heat gun on it didn't make it permanently loose?

What about water-proofing?

Thanks!

Problem solved ...

For all of you that experience the same problem, take a hot air gun, heat up the back of the phone, and slowly take it off with a suction cup.

After doing that, check the cable that comes from the antenna to the motherboard. Mine was loose, and I hat to fit it back in it's correct place.

Attached a photo below:

View attachment 2552387

Hope that helps you.

Last edited:

KyCeK

Mar 21, 2014
Same here. Will this solution not affect the waterproof of the phone? Anyone has any other solutions?

Sent from my C6833 using xda app-developers app

KyCeK

Mar 21, 2014
It would be, but I bought it on ebay and I don't have receipt for it. The other thing is I noticed when the phone is in standby it has full signal when i start using it the signal bars are going down.

KyCeK

Mar 21, 2014
Hi there - by antenna, do you mean the whitish cable on the right-most section of your picture?

Another thing, did the back cover stay attached perfectly after you've re-assembled it? I mean using the heat gun on it didn't make it permanently loose?

Thanks!

Hi. Finally it's working and yes the cable was loose. It's really easy to open the phone. It's the cable on right it's grey and silver ( like on picture) You can buy new original adhesive tape on ebay for £5. I don't know about waterproofness after. I will try when I will get new phone. Hopefully ultra2:D

Reactions: JuanRene

TheDiddlerMan

Oct 14, 2012
I'm surprised you'd even want a new one after dealing with that. Hopefully I don't need the original receipt to get warranty service. I hate the idea of opening up a new phone to solve a problem with a home remedy. As you can tell I am suffering from the same issue.

Triflot

Sep 17, 2011
3G and 4G can have poor reception indoors. See if switching to 2G only helps, even if you don't have mobile data enabled.

KyCeK

Mar 21, 2014
It was the only way to normally use the phone. It took 5-10 min and now it's working perfect. Try with Sony service centre, I hope they will do it for you. It's best phone ever, I hope they will make ultra 2.

Sent from my C6833 using XDA Free mobile app

Reactions: adfurgerson

gabriel1115

Jun 9, 2014
I have the same issue

Now I am using my sim card in a nexus 4 and i get full signal in the same place where my xperia doesn't.

The cell tower is not very far away ...

So, the house is not a problem ...

P.s : nexus 4 has full signal on wcdma but xperia has no signal/poor signal even on edge/gprs ...

As you can see in the picture, every phone tested with that sim has full signal in the same place. But not the xperia ... I think it's "blessed" ...

I have exactly the same issue:(

SUPERUSER

Jan 23, 2013
aaand now I have the same issue. ****ING hell...*****phone ...eh gonna send it in someday next week. I don't have the receipt here so got to go to my other apartment first :(

mmma

Sep 4, 2013
a weird solution that worked for me

Hi guys I had the same issue and solved it finally
First I tried your method and checked the antenna cable mine was already in place and fine so I was depressed and closed the phone back.I tried every thing else rebooting,repairing through companion,updating the rom, changing sim, changing network and every thing else. Finally I took phone into service they returned it without the issue and I was pleased too much, but same issue returned after 2 weeks
So I tried a stupid thing that worked like a charm I put 2 pieces of paper under the sim and above the sim metal holder and inserted the sim back then the issue was solved and network is like any other phone finally
It worked for me and I think it may worse a try

rabbitqiu

Jan 22, 2015
Mindgasm

I Just bought my New Z ultra Last month. At beginning i thought that my Z ultra poor signal were normal (90-110 dbm) until I compare to my friend's Z ultra. I realized there's something wrong! I was hopeless till I found this thread. Thanks to Al3xxxinho it worked! The antennA were loose also. Easy to open and I didnt see it Will break the warranty seal if you open, and the back cover still fit perfectly. Now I enjoy full signal bar. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Joshfree777

Feb 28, 2016
What I did was chanel the preferred network type to wcdma

Hello,

I have bought an used xperia ultra off the internet.

The problem is that outdoor I have no issue with my signal. But when I go inside the signal drops and it shows me NO NETWORK.

Is there any solution for this ?

Thank you in advance !

I have tried software update and hard reset with no luck ...

I was getting poor signal too but when I went into settings-->more-->mobile networks-->preferred network type and change from LTE(preferred) to wcdma(preferred) and my signal went way up

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Problem solved ...

Attached a photo below:

DSC00669.jpg

Hope that helps you.
    Well you are a lucky man, congratulations. My problem is that I bought the phone in a different country and I'm pretty sure that the folks here in my country will deny the warranty ... And going back in the country of purchase is not an option.

Does anyone have a Modem/Baseband that could be flashed to see if the problem still persists?

Thank you !

Thanks!

Hi. Finally it's working and yes the cable was loose. It's really easy to open the phone. It's the cable on right it's grey and silver ( like on picture) You can buy new original adhesive tape on ebay for £5. I don't know about waterproofness after. I will try when I will get new phone. Hopefully ultra2:D

It was the only way to normally use the phone. It took 5-10 min and now it's working perfect. Try with Sony service centre, I hope they will do it for you. It's best phone ever, I hope they will make ultra 2.

Sent from my C6833 using XDA Free mobile app