KitKat 4.4.2 "So what" thread

Search This thread

elzeus

Jun 4, 2012
Here's a list of what changed on the note 2 with 4.3 now our device is very similar to the note 2 and there will be even more features/fixes added with 4.4.2.

- GALAXY GEAR Support
- TRIM Support (Makes the device much faster)
- Samsung KNOX
- Samsung Wallet (Pre-loaded)
- ANT+ Support
- Improved TouchWiz Launcher (Much less launcher redraws and less lag)
- Better RAM management
- Core UI elements updated to the ones on the Galaxy S4 (Galaxy S4′s theme all over)
- New Samsung Keyboard
- GPU drivers have been updated (Higher GPU benchmark scores)
- New Lockscreen: Multiple Widgets, improved ripple effect than Android 4.1.2, ability to change clock size and set a personal message
- New screen modes (From S4): Adapt Display and Professional Photo
- Daydream
- Driving mode
- Actionable notifications
- Move-to-SD-card feature
- New Camera mode : Sound and Shot
- New Additions in Notification Centre
- Completely revamped Settings UI (Tabbed interface – Exactly like the Galaxy S4)
- Implementation of Voice controls (Let’s you control various parts of the phone using voice commands – Galaxy S4 feature)
- New Samsung Apps: Browser, Calculator, Clock, Contacts, Gallery, Music
- Full screen Samsung apps
- New S-Voice (from Galaxy S4)
- Samsung Wallet comes pre-loaded
- Minor UI tweaks (Contacts app, Flashlight Widget, dialog boxes etc)
- Android 4.3 features – widget lockscreen, daydream

enigma_x

Jan 1, 2013
Trim is already there... But support for smart extension apps - most of them use API-level we don't yet have and that's why those apps wont work on our 4.1.2. Biggest thing is to get the device work with smart accessories well and use the full potential they have.

turbonoma

Sep 8, 2013
Manati
will all this be available to the wi fi models?

Here's a list of what changed on the note 2 with 4.3 now our device is very similar to the note 2 and there will be even more features/fixes added with 4.4.2.

- GALAXY GEAR Support
- Samsung KNOX
- ANT+ Support
- Better RAM management
- Core UI elements updated to the ones on the Galaxy S4 (Galaxy S4′s theme all over)
- New Samsung Keyboard
- New Lockscreen: Multiple Widgets, improved ripple effect than Android 4.1.2, ability to change clock size and set a personal message
- Daydream
- Driving mode
- Completely revamped Settings UI (Tabbed interface – Exactly like the Galaxy S4)
- Implementation of Voice controls (Let’s you control various parts of the phone using voice commands – Galaxy S4 feature)

I read that all will be made available thru the different carriers.

Dec 2, 2013
Yeah...I noticed a lot of excitement about the 4.4 update. Like some not-so-tech-savvy folks, I'm afraid that updates could break more than they fix. I didn't even upgrade from 4.1.1 to 4.1.2, even though my father really wanted to update it for me - now I won't let him touch it. xD I don't want Samsung to add any new "bloatware" or extra apps I don't want and can't uninstall. I've used my mother's Note 3, and I don't like the different outlay of things. I don't use my tablet as a phone at all, so any updates to do with that are irrelevant to me.

Though my tablet hardly lags, the only benefit I could get from an update is if it made everything run even faster and more smoothly. Oh, and if the notification bar were moved to the top of the screen like on the 2014 Note 10.1, so I don't need to keep accidentally hitting it when I draw. All in all, though, I highly doubt I would install this update even if it became available to me.

19bjk03

Jan 22, 2012
Frankfurt
Yeah...I noticed a lot of excitement about the 4.4 update. Like some not-so-tech-savvy folks, I'm afraid that updates could break more than they fix. I didn't even upgrade from 4.1.1 to 4.1.2, even though my father really wanted to update it for me - now I won't let him touch it. xD I don't want Samsung to add any new "bloatware" or extra apps I don't want and can't uninstall. I've used my mother's Note 3, and I don't like the different outlay of things. I don't use my tablet as a phone at all, so any updates to do with that are irrelevant to me.

Though my tablet hardly lags, the only benefit I could get from an update is if it made everything run even faster and more smoothly. Oh, and if the notification bar were moved to the top of the screen like on the 2014 Note 10.1, so I don't need to keep accidentally hitting it when I draw. All in all, though, I highly doubt I would install this update even if it became available to me.

Ever heard about root? I'm pretty sure that all the "so-tech-savvy-folk" are having root on their tablets, and if not, they don't complain about bloatwares or other things. With the right apps, you can uninstall all these apps, install tweaks or other superb apps like Adblocker or something. You can even change the notification bar if you want. A new update is always good and I think everyone should have the opportunity to test it. And if you don't like it, there is still a chance to go back to 4.1.1 or an older firmware. And please don't tell me this all is complicated, there are a lot of great tutorials here on xda and a great community who are ready to help anyone.

Reactions: MissStreelight

danivempire

Jan 31, 2014
I'm really impatient for this update and I will welcome all of samsung's bloatware with little friend titanium backup ^^

Dozeer

Jan 22, 2014
Simply the fact 4.4 finally adds some proper support for printers is reason enough for me to stick to cm-11, even though tethering does not work in the current build for my LTE note.

I might go back to stock once Samsung releases this, so I can have everything working again without losing the new features.

Dec 2, 2013
Ever heard about root? I'm pretty sure that all the "so-tech-savvy-folk" are having root on their tablets, and if not, they don't complain about bloatwares or other things. With the right apps, you can uninstall all these apps, install tweaks or other superb apps like Adblocker or something. You can even change the notification bar if you want. A new update is always good and I think everyone should have the opportunity to test it. And if you don't like it, there is still a chance to go back to 4.1.1 or an older firmware. And please don't tell me this all is complicated, there are a lot of great tutorials here on xda and a great community who are ready to help anyone.

I've heard about root, but no, I like my device the way it is. I didn't complain about having bloatware now, only that I was afraid there would be bloatware AFTER the update, like I heard some people had extra apps installed on their devices after an update that they said didn't change much else. Thank you for being informative, however.

Also, I never said nor was it ever my intention to imply that other people shouldn't have the opportunity to test it. In fact, I think it's great that folks are getting what they've wanted for so long. I was merely expressing my opinion about not wanting updates, which I have as much right to state as anyone who does want their updates.

Reactions: pre4speed

Cozmo1

Sep 9, 2010
Texas
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Exactly what I did when I bought two of these (2012 version) sometime ago. I rooted mine and with Titanium I froze all the bloatware apps. You don't need to be rooted to disable bloatware... Just go to your application manager and disable your apps from there. You should be able to disable most of them. Probably all bloatware, but I don't do it that way so I can't confirm. Still, I always root just because I like installing Titanium, Root Explorer, Xposed Installer, AdAway, etc. Also install a custom recovery so I can backup my image and be able to restore if anything happens.
The device has been rock solid since I got it and I use it daily. The only way I wouldn't upgrade to KitKat is if it came with a locked bootloader. Even then that wouldn't exactly be a showstopper as i don't really play with custom kernels on it. I save that for other devices and computers I use and own. I also wouldn't necessarily expect that on a Wifi only device.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

Last edited:

PsycloneTW

Oct 23, 2009
Beaverton, OR
The biggest thing for me is native apps 2 sd support. I have my 16gb tablet loaded with apps using the storage swap script however it's not perfect as those who use it know, at some point you get a low space warning even when you have plenty of space left. I hope this would no longer be an issue when not running this script.

Joey121215

May 9, 2010
If you don't care about the update, then don't update the tablet, simple as that. On the other hand, I'm very excited. A lot of things have changed with android between 4.1 and 4.4 and it's a much smoother experience.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Reactions: link6155

erica_renee

Sep 16, 2010
Louisville
lost disk space fix

The biggest thing for me is native apps 2 sd support. I have my 16gb tablet loaded with apps using the storage swap script however it's not perfect as those who use it know, at some point you get a low space warning even when you have plenty of space left. I hope this would no longer be an issue when not running this script.

First sorry for off topic. but this should help you
The low disk usage warning can be fixed..

download a app called disk usage from play store. It will show you Exactly where your data has gone. The data (GHOSTE DATA) is likely a app you use a LOT. look for cache files that are large.
Once you find the app with large amounts of cache. Go to settings / Applications/ FIND THE APP That is the issue. Clear its cache files as needed.
GOOGLE + Seems to be the one that Gives us the most troubles.. But its a app we use a lot. others like maps facebook apps and so on can do the same..

Good Luck.. :good:

Last edited:
Reactions: PsycloneTW

smegg

Jun 28, 2011
ballarat

A custom rom with supercharge scripts would give you all the smoothie goodness you ever wanted. And you can put it on stock too!
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=18703418&postcount=5021
good luck!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

- GALAXY GEAR Support
    - Samsung KNOX
    - ANT+ Support
    - Better RAM management
    - New Samsung Keyboard
    - Daydream
    - Driving mode

I've heard about root, but no, I like my device the way it is. I didn't complain about having bloatware now, only that I was afraid there would be bloatware AFTER the update, like I heard some people had extra apps installed on their devices after an update that they said didn't change much else. Thank you for being informative, however.

Also, I never said nor was it ever my intention to imply that other people shouldn't have the opportunity to test it. In fact, I think it's great that folks are getting what they've wanted for so long. I was merely expressing my opinion about not wanting updates, which I have as much right to state as anyone who does want their updates.
    If you don't care about the update, then don't update the tablet, simple as that. On the other hand, I'm very excited. A lot of things have changed with android between 4.1 and 4.4 and it's a much smoother experience.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
    lost disk space fix

First sorry for off topic. but this should help you
    The low disk usage warning can be fixed..

download a app called disk usage from play store. It will show you Exactly where your data has gone. The data (GHOSTE DATA) is likely a app you use a LOT. look for cache files that are large.
    Once you find the app with large amounts of cache. Go to settings / Applications/ FIND THE APP That is the issue. Clear its cache files as needed.
    GOOGLE + Seems to be the one that Gives us the most troubles.. But its a app we use a lot. others like maps facebook apps and so on can do the same..

Good Luck.. :good: