[Q] Cover flipped backwards turns off screen!

Search This thread

SKida00

Mar 15, 2014
I was experiencing random screen shutoffs after fitting my galaxy note 10.1 (2014) for a new case.

It took a while before I finally realized that the random shut offs were being triggered by the case, more specifically, when the edge of my case came in line with the edge of the tablet, which is an awesome feature when you have the cover covering the front of the unit.

But the problem is it manages to shut off screen regardless of which side of the unit the cover is on, as long as the edge of the cover is aligned with the units edge. This can be quite frustrating when trying to read while holding the tablet in certain orientations.

Questions: I was wondering if anyone else has experienced similar issues with their cases/covers (a little research seems to indicate this is not an isolated issue and many, if not all, cases/covers suffer from this issue).
1) If you have not, which cases/covers do you use? Do these cases resolve the issue by never aligning the cover to the same position when flipped backwards as when flipped forwards (i.e. skewed slightly short of the edge when in backwards position)?
2) If you have experienced this issue, how have you addressed it? Can you disable the magnetic sensor?
3) Would weakening the magnet in the case perhaps ensure that it was only sensed in the forward position?

Last edited:

degakc

Oct 24, 2012
I was experiencing random screen sback andk ffs after fitting my galaxy note 10.1 (2014) for a new case.

It took a while before I finally realized that the random shut offs were being triggered by the case, more specifically, when the edge of my case came in line with the edge of the tablet, which is an awesome feature when you have the cover covering the front of the unit.

But the problem is it manages to shut off screen regardless of which side of the unit the cover is on, as long as the edge of the cover is aligned with the units edge. This can be quite frustrating when trying to read while holding the tablet in certain orientations.
et in the case perhaps ensure that it was only sensed in the forward position?

yes i have the same problem. pick up A generic folio type case for my P600. Case looks and feels great. Auto wake works brilliantly when I open the cover, but there is the problem of The screen turning off when I flip the cover over to the back and the magnetic edges meet. Dunno how to fix this yet. Tried the magnetoff xposed module but that doesn't seem to work.

jgaf

Aug 14, 2011
Tampa
I got the Moko slim case and the same thing happens, what I did to circumvent the problem was to put my screen cleaning cloth between the case and the tablet. This prevents the magnet from locking the screen when completely folded backwards, the only thing is that this method will block the camera with the cloth. For me this is not a problem I don't see myself using the camera on my tablet when I can use my SGS3's camera, and this way I never forget my screen cleaning cloth :D.

madsquabbles

Jan 31, 2009
I've read about this on other devices on various covers as well. they think it mah be due to the magnet not being properly shielded. dunno any fixes other than get another case.

Paland49

Mar 8, 2014
I hade a cover for my old Ipad and it all so turn off the Ipad when I flipped over the cover.
It did turn out the problem was with the magnet and after getting a new one, the problem was solved.

RussellEstridge25

Oct 30, 2011
North Branch
My poetic slimline work perfectly no issues at all. Love the look and feel, I do want a carry slevee tho for more protection if I wanna bring it out of the house. Or even just to store in the house. But overall love this case.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

photops

Jan 6, 2017
Get a piece of sheet metal (strip out a cheapie magnetic whiteboard , a few dollars at a variety store) cut to just less than the back of the tablet screen.
Cover it with a thin plastic film (to safeguard from cutting yourself)
It will adhere to the back of the screen magnetically and flatten the magnet's field
Now you can use the device with the keyboard tucked away behind the screen. (you may have to leave a small air gap say 5mm to 10 mm)
This does not affect the normal screen-keyboard functions when used conventionally

Kawiesh

May 3, 2014
Commewijne
Same problem with Galaxy Tab A (Nougat)

There is an option in the tab to turn it off, but regardless what you choose, the tablet still responds to the magnet. Very annoying when you lay down your tablet flat. For now i just put something between the cover and the back of the tablet, like a handkerchief. This works for me, but ofcourse it's not a solution just a workaround. I'm still trying to find a solution. :confused:

Sharfuddin Ahmed

Aug 16, 2017
Did you find any way to turn off the magnetic lock and unlock function? When I backfold my cover (aftermarket), it automatically locks my tab. Which is very irritating. I have Samsung galaxy tab S5e

GrandSportX

Feb 26, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
There wasn't a good search result on a way to disable it via software or hardware mod so I thought I would post the solution I just did on my daughter's new tablet folio.

She has an old S3 Tab so the options are quite limited so figured modification was the only way. I ended up removing 3 magnets until I figured out which one actually did the on/off Hall effect. The smart thing to do would have been to use a magnet to find where on the tablet the Hall effect sensor was first, then remove just that magnet. The other magnets are for holding the clasp in place when the folio is open or closed.

I just cut an X over the magnet location, removed it, then filled it back in with hot glue. On her tablet, the Hall sensor was on the top left (fat arrow). It's annoying to have to do this but there's no other way. I tried the metal plate trick but that looked pretty bad and didn't always work.

Hope that helps someone :)

Attachments

• IMG_20220109_142249__01__01.jpg
    IMG_20220109_142249__01__01.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 163
  • IMG_20220109_142259__01.jpg
    IMG_20220109_142259__01.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 161
  • IMG_20220109_142552__01.jpg
    IMG_20220109_142552__01.jpg
    636.9 KB · Views: 163
Last edited: