Phone will not boot but comes on

Search This thread

underdogg

Dec 4, 2007
My Phone; (AT&T HTC One M8 Unlocked, Rooted S-off ), TWRP 2.7.0.0 Recovery, Superuser GOO Manager installed. Flashed the Venom rom using teamwin app. Followed inst, plus youtube video. Did not work first time. Installed backup phone went back to normal, tried flashing again went fine rebooted once rebooted would not turn on, can not get into recovery. Phone powers up and say UNFORTUNATELY PHONE HAS STOPPED WORKING. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

underdogg

Dec 4, 2007
Phone still under warranty, getting one mailed to me with a return mailer to send this one back, should be here on Tuesday. A few minutes ago I saw the supersu app pop up asking to grant venom tweaks permission. I could not grant it because of the two error messages on the screen on top of it. (Unfortunately the phone has stopped, and Unfortunately blink feed has stopped). Has anyone seen any thing like this before?

an0ther

Sep 21, 2013
Phone still under warranty, getting one mailed to me with a return mailer to send this one back, should be here on Tuesday. A few minutes ago I saw the supersu app pop up asking to grant venom tweaks permission. I could not grant it because of the two error messages on the screen on top of it. (Unfortunately the phone has stopped, and Unfortunately blink feed has stopped). Has anyone seen any thing like this before?

I'm sure your phone is fine. you are using an outdated twrp and probably messed up a partition. Unplug phone, hold vol up and power for exactly 10 seconds, let go of both, then hold vol down and power. This should take you to your boot loader. get new twrp img from official site.
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
fastboot erase cache
boot to twrp and reflash rom.

underdogg

Dec 4, 2007
I had done what you suggested many times (read it from another post), the only difference was you said exactly 10 seconds the other post said 15 seconds. The HTC tech I talked to earlier this morning even told me to do that for 15-20 seconds which did not work. Your method worked like a charm on the first try. Thank you very much Sir.

an0ther

Sep 21, 2013
I had done what you suggested many times (read it from another post), the only difference was you said exactly 10 seconds the other post said 15 seconds. The HTC tech I talked to earlier this morning even told me to do that for 15-20 seconds which did not work. Your method worked like a charm on the first try. Thank you very much Sir.

Np, if you hold longer, it actually turns the phone back on before you can hit "vol down" to get to boot loader. If you are ever just resetting, you can hold as long as you want :) till it resets

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
I'm happy you go it sorted out. But stop jumping the gun, and running for a warranty exchange when things do go quite right when modding the phone.

If the screen comes on, its unlikely that the phone beyond recovery. Its usually just a lock of knowledge on your part, and just a matter of research on XDA, or asking for help here. If you are going to be modding the phone, you are going to have to resolve yourself to being more patient. Things will occasionally not go right, that is just a fact of the game. The right response is to troubleshoot your way out, and not freak out.

In any case, claiming a warranty replacement for damage that was a result of you modding the phone is immoral; and the very reason why these devices get locked down in the first place.

Reactions: ripper4209

underdogg

Dec 4, 2007
I'm happy you go it sorted out. But stop jumping the gun, and running for a warranty exchange when things do go quite right when modding the phone.

If the screen comes on, its unlikely that the phone beyond recovery. Its usually just a lock of knowledge on your part, and just a matter of research on XDA, or asking for help here. If you are going to be modding the phone, you are going to have to resolve yourself to being more patient. Things will occasionally not go right, that is just a fact of the game. The right response is to troubleshoot your way out, and not freak out.

In any case, claiming a warranty replacement for damage that was a result of you modding the phone is immoral; and the very reason why these devices get locked down in the first place.

Please don't question my morality, you don't know me. I've dealt with AT&T(the evil empire) for 18 years, with them adding charges to my account, charging for items I never requested and they never sent, charging for additional minutes and data that were never used. I went to buy another phone ,just like I bought this one. The enormous amount of money they charge for these $80.00 phones is ridiculous. So please wait until you sit down and talk to me about all the things I endured with AT&T before making claims about my morality.

UNDERDOGG
21 Year 100% disabled American Veteran
Retired 22 Years Now
52 months a POW
2 Purple Hearts
3 Bronze Stars
2 Silver Stars

Sir you've never sat at my table, nor I yours. My moral compass is always pointed due north. So don't question my morality....Please

Last edited:

redpoint73

Oct 24, 2007
Please don't question my morality, you don't know me.

You're right, I don't know you. But my statement, while phrased in the 2nd person tense, does not require any knowledge of you, and does not in any way need to be specific to you. It applies to everybody. If you want me to rephrase slightly, try this:

Claiming a warranty replacement for damage that was a result of modding the phone is immoral and fraud; and the very reason why these devices get locked down in the first place.

The personal details of your life are not relevant to the discussion, and add no value to it.

People often like to frame things in terms of "evil" faceless corporations that don't get hurt if you rip them off. Of you getting payback for so-called "wrongs" they have done to you. But in reality, the expense of fraudulent warranty claims doesn't get absorbed by AT&T, it trickles down to all of us, the customers. And in more ways than one. Not only would such behavior pass on additional monetary expenses to other honest paying customers, but also is the very reason why manufacturers and carriers are locking down bootloaders, and otherwise locking down the phones against modification (write protected partitions, etc.). If not for fruadulant warranty claims (do to botched phone modding), the manufacturers and carriers would let us mod to our hearts delight. Locked bootloaders and other obstacles would not exist, because why would they care? Its not the "evil empire" you are hurting, its all of us.

If you decide to mod the phone, you accept the risk of bricking it, and having to replace the phone on your own dime. Its that simple.

Reactions: ripper4209

underdogg

Dec 4, 2007
You're right, I don't know you. But my statement, while phrased in the 2nd person tense, does not require any knowledge of you, and does not in any way need to be specific to you. It applies to everybody. If you want me to rephrase slightly, try this:

Claiming a warranty replacement for damage that was a result of modding the phone is immoral and fraud; and the very reason why these devices get locked down in the first place.

The personal details of your life are not relevant to the discussion, and add no value to it.

People often like to frame things in terms of "evil" faceless corporations that don't get hurt if you rip them off. Of you getting payback for so-called "wrongs" they have done to you. But in reality, the expense of fraudulent warranty claims doesn't get absorbed by AT&T, it trickles down to all of us, the customers. And in more ways than one. Not only would such behavior pass on additional monetary expenses to other honest paying customers, but also is the very reason why manufacturers and carriers are locking down bootloaders, and otherwise locking down the phones against modification (write protected partitions, etc.). If not for fruadulant warranty claims (do to botched phone modding), the manufacturers and carriers would let us mod to our hearts delight. Locked bootloaders and other obstacles would not exist, because why would they care? Its not the "evil empire" you are hurting, its all of us.

If you decide to mod the phone, you accept the risk of bricking it, and having to replace the phone on your own dime. Its that simple.

I some what agree with you but not totally, as for as my back ground info now you do know a little about me. You must not know how warranties work if I had taken the warranty phone I would have to send them this one back. So I cancelled the order. This is not an AT&T phone this is my phone, I bought it, I can do what I please with it. In my earlier post I said I went to BUY another phone, not do a warranty claim I told them what I did. I did not try to deceive them, lie or anything(because of my Morality). If it's their phone I agree I should be liable, but it's my phone. It came with a warranty, so did the 2013 Mustang I purchased for my Grand Daughter, the engine failed, the warranty replaced the engine. I was allowed to keep the defective engine, it was MINE I wrote a check for the vehicle. Since I bought the phone they should have made provisions for me to unlock, root, unlock the sim, replace the rom, toss it in my lake, throw from the third floor of my home, and anything else I wanted to do to it, once they accepted my money this became my property. In closing, yes I don't care about big corporations, or the Government, but my morality is intact if it wasn't I don't think I would be here having this conversation with you. Sir, your lesson on morality is wasted on me you should be having this conversation with your children!

Last edited:

redpoint73

Oct 24, 2007
You must not know how warranties work

I know precisely how warranties work. You said the following, which to me means you were making a warranty claim due to the phone not booting, which was a result of you modding the phone.

Phone still under warranty, getting one mailed to me with a return mailer to send this one back

You did not use the word "buy" previously anywhere. Only the word "get" which is ambiguous at best. And how a purchase fits in with the above quote (getting a warranty exchange) is unclear.

And I know you go the phone working again, so presumably cancelled the warranty claim. I was more commenting on the intent to make a warranty claim.

I've said my part, no need to carry this discussion any further. And frankly the repeated mention of your "morality" is irrelevant. I'm just making a comment, which all are free to do on this forum. You can take it or leave it (obviously the latter). But saying I cannot comment (and to have this conversation "with my kids" instead) is not your right.

underdogg

Dec 4, 2007
I know precisely how warranties work. You said the following, which to me means you were making a warranty claim due to the phone not booting, which was a result of you modding the phone.

You did not use the word "buy" previously anywhere. Only the word "get" which is ambiguous at best. And how a purchase fits in with the above quote (getting a warranty exchange) is unclear.

And I know you go the phone working again, so presumably cancelled the warranty claim. I was more commenting on the intent to make a warranty claim.

I've said my part, no need to carry this discussion any further. And frankly the repeated mention of your "morality" is irrelevant. I'm just making a comment, which all are free to do on this forum. You can take it or leave it (obviously the latter). But saying I cannot comment (and to have this conversation "with my kids" instead) is not your right.

You are right, I did say get a phone, the warranty info came after I got to the store. I buy what I want, and I understand my RIGHTS under the freedom of speech act. You said what you had to say, I just questioned your point about my morality. This is the last I will speak on this, I hope you do the same. Have a good day today and a better day tomorrow.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I'm sure your phone is fine. you are using an outdated twrp and probably messed up a partition. Unplug phone, hold vol up and power for exactly 10 seconds, let go of both, then hold vol down and power. This should take you to your boot loader. get new twrp img from official site.
    fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
    fastboot erase cache
    boot to twrp and reflash rom.

Please don't question my morality, you don't know me.