UPDATE: Online petition to att to unlock bootloaders

Search This thread

Russ77

Jul 26, 2012
bloody hell...

1. petitions don't work. this is coming from the guy who's approach was the premise for the at&t and vzw petitions.

2. at&t and vzw mandate the locked boot loader, NOT Samsung. they do it because of $. NOT because of their stupid services or apps or search hits or whatever tinfoil hat speculation prevails this week. they do it to minimize warranty claims. you buy from the carrier and the carrier bears the warranty costs.

3. point 2 is best evidenced by the significant increase in "halp I froze/deleted/modified/tweaked/xposed a bunch of stuff and Noe my phone doesn't wurk right" or "bad user experiences after root" threads. root didn't do this to your phones, you did. good thing these mods probably tripped the Knox counter or we'd all be paying that cost in the S6...

4. if you got the phone on a 2 year contract or a next plan, you did NOT buy the phone, you are basically financing or leasing it. up until that point that its paid off, its not yours to do as you wish.

5. if aosp/cm/aokp/pa/countless other baked/tweaked/modified/themed Roms is your thing, do your research and find out if the phone you want is unlocked or unlockable.

5a. aosp base Roms are nowhere near as good on a Samsung device as they are on a nexus device, too many other closed source or proprietary things going on with Sammy's. this isn't a knock against our developers, they are pretty freaking awesome for being able to reverse engineer this stuff well enough to get a working ROM. nexus is better though because it was BUILT for that.

6. carrier bloat can be frozen on an unrooted device., plain and simple. the stuff is there but you're not forced into using it, you can freeze it from the app drawer in about 30 seconds in one shot.

GDofWR420

May 3, 2011
bloody hell...

1. petitions don't work. this is coming from the guy who's approach was the premise for the at&t and vzw petitions.

2. at&t and vzw mandate the locked boot loader, NOT Samsung. they do it because of $. NOT because of their stupid services or apps or search hits or whatever tinfoil hat speculation prevails this week. they do it to minimize warranty claims. you buy from the carrier and the carrier bears the warranty costs.

3. point 2 is best evidenced by the significant increase in "halp I froze/deleted/modified/tweaked/xposed a bunch of stuff and Noe my phone doesn't wurk right" or "bad user experiences after root" threads. root didn't do this to your phones, you did. good thing these mods probably tripped the Knox counter or we'd all be paying that cost in the S6...

4. if you got the phone on a 2 year contract or a next plan, you did NOT buy the phone, you are basically financing or leasing it. up until that point that its paid off, its not yours to do as you wish.

5. if aosp/cm/aokp/pa/countless other baked/tweaked/modified/themed Roms is your thing, do your research and find out if the phone you want is unlocked or unlockable.

5a. aosp base Roms are nowhere near as good on a Samsung device as they are on a nexus device, too many other closed source or proprietary things going on with Sammy's. this isn't a knock against our developers, they are pretty freaking awesome for being able to reverse engineer this stuff well enough to get a working ROM. nexus is better though because it was BUILT for that.

6. carrier bloat can be frozen on an unrooted device., plain and simple. the stuff is there but you're not forced into using it, you can freeze it from the app drawer in about 30 seconds in one shot.

..l.,

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

GDofWR420

May 3, 2011
Sent this out today. To the C.E.O. Randall Stephenson

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Attachments

• 1404928074453.jpg
    1404928074453.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 337
  • 1404928088807.jpg
    1404928088807.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 338
Reactions: drock212

bertoteo

Apr 16, 2015
unlock bootloader g870a

Any news?
I probably have a bootloader with some problems: any codes provided by paying websites won't work, won't unlock sim for other countries. I'm stuck

darthmalus

Sep 6, 2007
Rantoul
It's 2016 and those of us with an at&t branded device are never going to see root or a bootloader unlock. Your best bet is to buy an unlocked t-mobile or a SM-900m model they will both work on at&t and the bootloaders should be unlockable.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I personally received a cease and desist letter for harassing the ceo's secretary about the locked bootloader on my LG g2. The bottom line is 5% or less modify their phones.1% will actually complain about it and I would bet less than 20% of that 1 percent would actually write a letter. Att doesn't care about the opinions of .20% of its customer base. The only way to get this to work is to unite across all devices with locked bootloader's on at&t.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using XDA Premium HD app
    I do stick it to the man, the man keeps giving me free stuff. The last phone I bought was the LG g2. After a few weeks I had a bad pixel so they gave me a brand new note 3. A month after that I talked them into a free galaxy gear. When the boredom kicked in I got "the man" to take the note 3 back and send me a good flex. I sold the watch. In June I once again told them I wasn't happy with the flex so they told me to pick any phone I wanted, I chose this phone. Now it is aggravating and I probably wasted hours of my time harassing them but it pays off.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using XDA Premium HD app
    I signed it. Putting in my 2 cents worth; I was the 6th person to sign. And I don't even have an S5 yet, planning on getting one soon.
    Who cares at this point. We have root
    Hey, that was mean, but not enough people are going to care. A lot of people are satisfied just being able to run rooted apps.
    This is all on the AT&T end of things. If they could come to an agreement to have something similar to what HTC has where you go to their website and agree to void your warranty then the site unlocks it that would be great. We need to put pressure on AT&T for something like that as it would not cause them to lose money or their government contracts. But like someone stated earlier our demographic is so small that they don't care. Normal people just care that their phones work and can take good pictures. I can tell you that back when the Motorola atrix came out there was a petition to also unlock the bootloader it got tons of signatures and even the attention of Motorola and AT&T enough so that they issued a statement that they would provide a solution to the locked bootloader and guess what, the solution never came but we did get their attention so it is possible.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app