[Q] ATT OTA Update without permission. Bricked phone?

Search This thread

Tymau5

Oct 12, 2013
FSM
Once I saw that the phone said it was about to begin installing, I panicked. I'm on root and all my phone does is boot into Recovery. Is there a way to undo this?

UMtiger

Feb 14, 2014
Once I saw that the phone said it was about to begin installing, I panicked. I'm on root and all my phone does is boot into Recovery. Is there a way to undo this?

I just went through this same thing. If you have TWRP installed, follow this thread. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2451696

After that, go to the file manager in TWRP navigate to /cache/fota and delete the three files you see there. If you don't do this it will keep trying to install it every time you boot to the system.

Now you can boot into the system, as soon as you do go to settings and turn on Airplane mode to prevent it from downloading the update again. Use Titanium or Android Tools to freeze the Software Update app. Turn off Airplane mode and you're done!

kingkamal

Sep 24, 2013
It worked

I just went through this same thing. If you have TWRP installed, follow this thread. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2451696

After that, go to the file manager in TWRP navigate to /cache/fota and delete the three files you see there. If you don't do this it will keep trying to install it every time you boot to the system.

Now you can boot into the system, as soon as you do go to settings and turn on Airplane mode to prevent it from downloading the update again. Use Titanium or Android Tools to freeze the Software Update app. Turn off Airplane mode and you're done!

Thanks . It worked

a.youth.in.asia

Feb 16, 2014
And what do you do if you don't have the FOTA?? My phone didn't prompt to update, it updated on its own in my pocket. I tried to reboot out of TWRP recovery and it didn't let me. I didn't know my phone took the update so I wiped the phone and restored a backup of my root. I seen that thread afterwards and I don't see an option of it.

Before the update I rooted, downloaded xposed.

I have spent maybe 10+ hours looking for a solution with no luck. Oh, best part... had the phone for 5 days before it accepted the update (wish I knew LG just pushed the update :-/ )

spinninbsod

May 17, 2013
new york city
Yep lg will push updates without your permission which I think is wrong that is why as soon as I flashed twrp I flashed cm I'm on Verizon but it might have an update by now we really should be throwing a fit to lg for pushing updates to devices with out permission

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Tapatalk

UMtiger

Feb 14, 2014
ATT pushed the update to everyone and since it's not a large update it happens too quick to do much about it. Since you've already restored your backup via TWRP just follow the later part of what I said. Freeze the software update apk in the app of your choice so it doesn't happen again. The only other option you have (if you want to keep your stock rom) is to flash the OEM recovery, take the update and re-customize.