[GUIDE] Update CM without losing custom /system changes (ex Swype, keymap)

Search This thread

skyjumper

Jan 2, 2009
There's a really simple way to prevent CyanogenMod from overwriting your custom /system changes during an update. Create the file '/system/etc/custom_backup_list.txt' with a list of files within /system that you don't want to be overwritten.

For example, to prevent CM from wiping out Swype, open adb shell and type this:
Code:
mount -o remount,rw /system
cd /system/etc
echo lib/libSwypeCore.so >custom_backup_list.txt
echo app/Swype.apk >>custom_backup_list.txt
cd /
mount -o remount,ro /system

If you use teferi's custom keymap, do this:
Code:
cd /system/etc
echo usr/keylayout/vision-keypad.kl >>custom_backup_list.txt
echo usr/keychars/vision-keypad.kcm.bin >>custom_backup_list.txt
cd /

Then the next time you flash CM, your changes to /system will still be there. If you want to see why this works, take a look at /system/bin/backuptool.sh

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Reactions: hoey23 and reukiodo

cparekh

Oct 15, 2009
Thanks! This is great; now I can easily keep my Email.apk that doesn't require me to enter a alphanumeric password every time I want to use the phone.

sundar2012

Oct 8, 2009
Manhattan
CM probably needs to overwrite build.prop but I've been changing the LCD density in this file. Is there a way to use a seperate file to override the lcd density so that i can let CM overwrite build.prop but still maintain lcd density after a flash?

skyjumper

Jan 2, 2009
Whatever commands you put in /data/local/userinit.sh will run at boot. So in adb shell, type this for a density of 215:
Code:
cd /data/local
echo setprop qemu.sf.lcd_density 215 >userinit.sh

sundar2012

Oct 8, 2009
Manhattan
awesome! thank you!

Don't suppose you would know how to get the CM update to not install/auto delete after installation apks like ADWLauncher and wifi calling?

Kalandros

Jun 13, 2009
Thank you!

This may be the long lost solution to my Swype and Cyan Problems. The new Release Candidates are destroying my swype and not liking it's return after installing the new Cyan. So, if this can basically help me update without losing much, it's a god send. Especially the LCD density.

You're a genius.

Thank you.

Hmm, seems the issue is still persistent. Thanks though.

Last edited:

apzalo

Nov 2, 2010
Jacksonville, FL
Should userinit.sh and custom_backup_list.txt survive the upgrade or should they both be included in the backup list file?

Sent from my HTC Vision using XDA App

igashu

Mar 21, 2009
If you look at the actual script, it seems that it ignores the backuptool if .installscript exists, and in practice, I've noticed that nothing gets saved when flashing via ROM Manager. Is this, in fact, what's happening, and is there a way around it?

muness

Jul 18, 2008
awesome! thank you!

Don't suppose you would know how to get the CM update to not install/auto delete after installation apks like ADWLauncher and wifi calling?

You can put the following in /data/local/userinit.sh:

mount -o rw,remount /system

for apk in ADWLauncher.apk MS-HTCVISION-KNT20-02.apk
do
rm -f /system/app/$apk
done

for package in com.android.launcher
do
pm uninstall $package
done

mount -o ro,remount /system
exit 0

I haven't tried this for removing the Wifi Calling app, so ymmv. I remove a much larger set of apps myself (facebook, email, live wallpapers, amazon mp3 store, DSPManager, FileManager, Browser). http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php?title=Barebones has a list of apps that can be removed safely.

pbedard

Jul 30, 2010
boston
Rc4 has the trackpad wake fm radio and speaker led fixed its workng very smooth better than rc3

Sent from my HTC Vision using XDA App

fastludeh22

Mar 22, 2009
awesome! thank you!

Just delete them from the cmupdate.zip before flashing. Cwm recovery doesn't require sig so u don't have to worry about resigning it.

OP: nice find, I'm sure ill use it at some point.

rraxda

Nov 4, 2010
This is driving me crazy because I know I have used this command before but i cannot get it to work now... What is the deal?

Code:
$ mount -o remount,rw /system
Usage: mount [-r] [-w] [-o options] [-t type] device directory

Rooted using gfree on this phone. On my previous phone I used wpthis and did not have a problem. Anyone know what I need to do to mount rw?

rraxda

Nov 4, 2010
Used this method to when going from stock to CM 6.1.1 and could not get it to work. I had to push/install manually from ADB.

Anyone had any luck? I did what the OP said then flashed. Was I supposed to do anything after flashing wiping and then flashing (CM & gapps)?

Hot_Hands

Jul 12, 2010
This is driving me crazy because I know I have used this command before but i cannot get it to work now... What is the deal?

Code:
$ mount -o remount,rw /system
Usage: mount [-r] [-w] [-o options] [-t type] device directory

Rooted using gfree on this phone. On my previous phone I used wpthis and did not have a problem. Anyone know what I need to do to mount rw?

Make sure you have root in the shell by typing su.

BobNobbins

Jan 28, 2009
Columbus, OH

rraxda

Nov 4, 2010
Titanium backup. You can use it to restore the app and the data. Usually i just restore the data to a fresh install.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    There's a really simple way to prevent CyanogenMod from overwriting your custom /system changes during an update. Create the file '/system/etc/custom_backup_list.txt' with a list of files within /system that you don't want to be overwritten.

For example, to prevent CM from wiping out Swype, open adb shell and type this:
    Code:
    cd /system/etc
    cd /

If you use teferi's custom keymap, do this:
    Code:
    cd /system/etc
    echo usr/keylayout/vision-keypad.kl >>custom_backup_list.txt
    echo usr/keychars/vision-keypad.kcm.bin >>custom_backup_list.txt
    cd /

Then the next time you flash CM, your changes to /system will still be there. If you want to see why this works, take a look at /system/bin/backuptool.sh

Hope this helps