[MultiROM] [LINUX] [How-to] Rom installers for sdcard

Search This thread

lebrac

Sep 4, 2011
R: [MultiROM] [LINUX] [How-to] Rom installers for sdcard

How to install these distros on the usb?
I don't manage to do it...
I've also tried to copy the root directory of the image ( plasma) with the rom_info on the usb following the guide but nothing...
Please help me!

Last edited:

Robin2

Jun 19, 2009
Bodhi Linux fails to flash on my N7 with TWRP.

Sent from my LG-P990 using xda premium

s33d1ing

Jul 7, 2012
Oklahoma
ROM LIST (DOWNLOADS)
* PLASMA ACTIVE 20130109
old version: -
description: KDE for embedded devices. Very cool and interesting, but still an alpha.
* BODHI LINUX 20130109
old version: INITIAL RELEASE
notes: old version passwd for root and armhf user is trustno1 (sorry for that, is my fault. In new release it is again bodhilinux)
description: Ubuntu with E17 (Enlightenment) with mobile GUI. Pretty stable and... veeery fast.
*ArchLinux 20130113-2
description: ArchLinux. Simply. Not designed for basic users. Really powerfull, with already packed KDE, Gnome-shell, LXDE, XFCE, Enlightenment environments (and many others probably). Need testing, and some love, as it's initial release.
*WebOS ALPHA
description: still in alpha stage, unstable. Interesting project. Needs love.
ROMS TO BE PACKED/MADE WORKING:

I cant get any of these to work. Half the time when I create the ROM, TWRP restarts soon after I begin the process. The other half of the time, it just its on the page where it is supposed to be creating it and does nothing. Am I missing something?

antp121

Jan 15, 2011
New Jersey
I cant get any of these to work. Half the time when I create the ROM, TWRP restarts soon after I begin the process. The other half of the time, it just its on the page where it is supposed to be creating it and does nothing. Am I missing something?

are you flashing the rom or adding a rom? just hit install, not the multirom menu

Reactions: s33d1ing

s33d1ing

Jul 7, 2012
Oklahoma
I was adding a rom. I completely over looked the instructions about flashing normally >_<

Sent from my SGH-I777 using xda premium

abhi0304

Oct 16, 2007
How can i flash ubuntu 13.04. I see Tass uploaded it in goo.im in multirom thread. It's a .img file, not sure how to flash .img file.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Phr³³k

Jan 31, 2006
/dev/hal
phr33k.soup.io
Flashing as normal zip, maybe i wasn't reading something correctly.
Well this could have be my problem too, I was adding/flashing Bodhi under MultiROM menu, but never got it to start.

Now everything looks good ;)

Great work btw

cheers phk

Tasssadar

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 31, 2010
Brno
tasssadar.github.com
i saw plasma active is updated ..plz someoen make a flashable zip of the new build ?
No, it wasn't, at least not here http://download.kde.org/unstable/active/3.0/images/nexus7/
If you are reading posts on this blog, then you are a bad reader - all of the changes are in repositories, and you can download them if you so desire - it is described how to do that in those posts.

I will update as soon as I can. If anybody makes the zip before, please share it...
PS: Fedora is not working for me. If someone get it to work please share zip.
That Fedora is for Tegra 2, and for basicaly "desktop computer, just with ARM instead of x86" on top of that, so there's pretty much no reason to even try to port that.

bonzer2u

Dec 17, 2010
Southern Oregon...
No, it wasn't, at least not here http://download.kde.org/unstable/active/3.0/images/nexus7/
If you are reading posts on this blog, then you are a bad reader - all of the changes are in repositories, and you can download them if you so desire - it is described how to do that in those posts.

That Fedora is for Tegra 2, and for basicaly "desktop computer, just with ARM instead of x86" on top of that, so there's pretty much no reason to even try to port that.

I bet you are lookin forward to an upcoming ubuntu tab os release.......

xela92

Aug 7, 2009
When Ubuntu Tablet is ready please share even the flashable zip for sdcard. If the chef doesn't make it, I will. Awesome stuff.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ubuntu touch preview
    Okay, I'll skip right to the instructions.

0. Requirements
    You'll need MultiROM installed with recovery from at least 22nd of February. You can find downloads and installation instruction in in MultiROM's thread, as soon as you have it all installed, come back to this post.
    Free space needed: a little over 1 GB.

1. Downloads
    You'll need two ZIP files from this daily build page.
    Base system: raring-preinstalled-armel+grouper.zip (~33 MB)
    Ubuntu data: raring-preinstalled-phablet-armhf.zip (the biggest one, ~550 MB)

2. Installing base
    Reboot to recovery and got to Advanced->MultiROM. Select "Add ROM" option. Choose these settings:
    Choose ROM type: Android/Ubuntu touch
    Share kernel with Internal ROM: Don't share
    Install location: Wherever you wish to install it.

Click Next, then select ZIP file as ROM source, and choose the smaller ZIP file with base system (quantal-preinstalled-armel+grouper.zip). Proceed with installation. Do _not_ reboot after installation!
    Installing on USB: if you get to screen which wants you to "Set up the size of disk images", set the size of data.img to something bigger - 1500mb should be enough.

3. Installing Ubuntu data
    Select List ROMs in MultiROM menu in recovery, then select the ROM you've just created (probably named something like quantal_preinstalled...) and choose Flash ZIP option. Select the bigger ZIP file (quantal-preinstalled-phablet-armhf.zip) and flash it. Beware, this ZIP file then can't be used to flash Ubuntu without MultiROM, as it is modified in the process to suit MultiROM needs.

5. Profit
    Ubuntu touch developer preview is now installed. Keep in mind that this _really_ is just a preview, so pretty much nothing will work. Looks good though.

Not much is changed, the only thing which needed to be done was to compile Ubuntu's kernel with kexec-hardboot patch. The mrom_quantal-preinstalled-armel+grouper_20130221.zip file has only different boot.img, otherwise it is exactly the same. You can use official daily builds, the patches for MultiROM are in there.

This preview is basically cyanogenmod with Ubuntu UI running in chroot, so it is really similiar to Android. I'm told that this is because the Ubuntu core and, most importantly, drivers, are not yet ready. In the future, it should be this UI running on top of standard Ubuntu core (ie. the Ubuntu raring which you already could multi-boot).
    This is an (hopefully) updated collection of all roms (not android based, but other linux OS, like ubuntu, archlinux, fedora...) for nexus 7 (grouper and tilapia) available using the MultiROM system.
    MultiROM is an amazing hack (I want to thank again its author, Tasssadar) that permits to boot different OS (multiboot) and different android roms. It starts between kernel and rom init, showing a sort of bootloader dialog to choose which system to boot.
    It supports installing (and booting, of course) roms to USB drives.
    To use MultiROM you need multirom installation zip , a modified TWRP recovery and kernels with kexec support. Relax, is not hard or long to do this.
    More information and installation (of MultiROM, recovery and kernels) --> [ MULTIROM ]
    PS: I need to specify I coded nothing, my only work was helping with issues, repacking roms, make them work. I want to say thank you to all devs are developing for Nexus 7, I'm doing this because I appreciate their work and I want MultiROM to rise. It deserves to.

HOW TO INSTALL A ROM.
    Tasssadar provided also a zip template (see the [ WIKI ] for more info) that is incredibly easy to use.
    To install a linux os to sdcard, you just need to download the zip and flash it like a normal update.zip.
    It won't replace your internal rom, because it is going to install in /sdcard, not in /system or /data. And it WON'T wipe anything.
    Remember that flashing ubuntu or android rom is DIFFERENT from flashing those zips. To flash ubuntu or another android rom you need to use MultiROM menu under ADVANCED voice in recovery (again, see wiki or multirom thread if you need more information).

ROM PACKS.
    In the next post I'll share links for rom zips. If you have other zips or if you have built other zips, please share them. They will be (hopefully) added to the list. If not, please pm me. I can't read all posts.
    If you want to share a zip, please try it first. I don't know if I'll be able to test everything real-time, and I don't want anyone to see his sdcard erased or strange things like this. MultiROM has a percent of risk, but nobody has lost his data till now. So please share zips consciously.
    ROM LIST (DOWNLOADS)
    * [NEW] PLASMA ACTIVE 4.0 (20140121)
    mirror: http://d-h.st/Khh
    old version: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9ZvdqAbuJi2blQ0TDgweFFKTlU/edit
    description: KDE for embedded devices. Very cool and interesting. 4.0 version is more stable, video codec is working as well. Little slow booting.
    * BODHI LINUX 20130109
    old version: INITIAL RELEASE
    notes: old version passwd for root and armhf user is trustno1 (sorry for that, is my fault. In new release it is again bodhilinux)
    description: Ubuntu with E17 (Enlightenment) with mobile GUI. Pretty stable and... veeery fast.
    *ArchLinux 20130113-2
    description: ArchLinux. Simply. Not designed for basic users. Really powerfull, with already packed KDE, Gnome-shell, LXDE, XFCE, Enlightenment environments (and many others probably). Needs testing, and some love, as it's initial release.
    *WebOS ALPHA
    old version: http://www.mediafire.com/?3m58uuvysxiwypw
    description: still in alpha stage, unstable. Interesting project. Needs love.

* [MANUAL INSTALL] Ubuntu Touch Tablet DEVELOPER PREVIEW
    description: developer preview, android-based, with the new Ubuntu Touch UI.

[NEW] Use MultiROM app to install the latest version in the easiest way

ROMS TO BE PACKED/MADE WORKING:
    fedora4nexus7?
    I've repacked webOS and PlasmaActive to new MultiROM installer format. These ROMs can now be installed to USB drive.

Go to Advanced->MultiROM->Add ROM and choose MultiROM installer type!
    You need recovery from at least April 4th.

WebOS: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?stzelibsuzqzp31
    PlasmaActive: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BzZdFm5P1VJuc3NsSE1DRzBJOXM/edit?usp=sharing
    If anyony wants to use these instructions to get a kde desktop environment for Arch linux, then here they are. I have not included the kde login screen yet. still just using startx... Have not gotten gnome up yet, and lxde was stuck in portrait and non responsive.

These instructions assume you are using a usb kb and mouse, via otg.

Install tassader's mrom packed Arch.

Boot arch

at login, user:root Password:root

type wifi-menu. when window opens, pick your wifi, and enter security pass, if needed.

once back to cursor, type "pacman -Syu" to update the whole system. Confirm and Y (leave out the " ")

once back to the cursor, type "pacman -S xorg" Press enter for all, and Y

cursor again Type "pacman -S xorg-xinit xorg-twm xterm" confirm, and Y

Here, there are two options--

1. Edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf using nano from arch.

Or

2. Reboot (type "reboot") and boot android. Using a root browser, navigate to /data/madia/0/multirom/roms/your arch install/root/etc/X11/xorg.conf. Edit xorg.conf in the same way that @ylixir described in the post just above this one. Save changes. Or, just download from here http://db.tt/rR1BSvbQ and replace your existing xorg.conf with this one. I recommend this method for people not comfortable with terminal style editing, to help prevent parse errors from incorrect edits.

Reboot and boot into Arch.

Now, add a user acct for yourself-- "useradd -m -g user -G wheel,storage,power -s /bin/bash usernamehere"

Now a password-- "passwd usernamehere" enter password twice

On to Kde-- "pacman -S kde" Press enter for all, and Y

Once done, at the prompt, type "cat>> .xinitrc" It will now drop down a line. Type "exec startkde" Now hit ctrl+D twice. Makes me do it twice, anyhow.

Now after all that, type "startx"

You will now boot into kde desktop, but it will be in portrait. Using your mouse, click the kde bubble in the lower left. Click applications. Go to settings. Then system settings. In the category "Hardware", click display and monitor. Under the rotation dropdown, choose turn right 270 degrees. Click apply. then click save as default, and click the same in the dropdown. Click ok on pop up confirmation. Your desktop will now be set correctly, and should boot with the correct settings from now on. Have fun!

Thanks to ylixer for the xorg.conf edits he posted. Most of this info was hobbled together from an arcticle about installing Arch to a raspberry pi.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium