Putting Movies on Desire

Search This thread

Chodi25

May 16, 2010
After a very frustrating week of trying to get feature length movies on my desire I have all but given up hope. I am able to convert and copy some movies and get them to run without the dreaded "This video cannot play" error message. Most that do play still play with out of sync sound, if they play at all. Occasionally, one plays correctly but I believe this is more an accident then a cure. I have tried several converters and every conceivable setting. I have come to the conclusion that this is a problem with the phone and most probably with the implementation of the operating system. I have an unbranded Desire that was purchased from an authorized dealer in Hong Kong. I have not attempted to root the phone or modify it in any way.

If anyone has had success at consistently putting feature length movies on their desire please post your methods. I am at the point where I believe this needs to be fixed with and update from HTC. I can only assume that the same problem exits on the Nexus One.

Phil750123

Apr 6, 2010
Birmingham, UK
What types of files are you converting them into?

I myself have only put 2 episodes onto the device because most of mine are avi
and i cant be bothered to convert them, but the 2 iv tried are both .wmv and work fine.

Chodi25

May 16, 2010
What types of files are you converting them into?

I myself have only put 2 episodes onto the device because most of mine are avi
and i cant be bothered to convert them, but the 2 iv tried are both .wmv and work fine.

I have tried several converters designed for Nexus One or Desire. They all seem to want to convert to mpeg4. Some of the converters show that they are using an h264 codec. I have tested the converted files on my pc using Media Player Classic then if they run I copy and paste to the phone directory. A few actually work as planned. Most do not. I am converting avi, xvid and divix files that I have downloaded. They work fine on my Windows 7 computer using just about any video player (I have several).

The fact that an occasional feature film converts and works suggests to me that the HTC operating system is buggy. I would love to be proven wrong on this.

Chodi25

May 16, 2010
Here is a follow-up to my efforts. I actually purchased three converters and also tried some free ones. The converter called Any video converter Professional seems to have the best success rate. I have been using the setup on most of these with profiles for the Nexus One because the Desire is identical (as far as I know) in the video sense. Most of these converters have not yet offered updates to include a profile labeled Desire (but a few have and they are the worst).

I have spent many hours trying to get this to work consistently because I travel a lot and intended to use the phone for videos. I have been able to get as many as two working feature films onto my 16gb Kingston sd card, but adding even one more causes corruption of the entire card. That spells operating system problems to me. I also tried this with the original 4gb sd card with the exact same results. Anyone with consistent success at this please post your methods.

mofoliar

Jun 5, 2007
Paradise,CA
I just put movie 2012 on my phone with sound.. successfully.... MP4 format works great.. I use DVDFAB works great.. i have used it for many years burning movies, and has always worked great for iphone,wm phone and BB now Desire as well.. check it out.. you get a 30day trial then have to buy get lifetime upgrades..

www.dvdfab.com

danielch

Aug 24, 2008
www.webncode.com
I use HandBrake, a freeware, to convert my DVDs and video files, it works great
but remember to set the Video Codec to H.264(x264), an opensource codec which works great on Android
also the Target Size should be less than 2GB as Android doesn't play file bigger than 2GB
http://handbrake.fr/

Good luck! :)

Chodi25

May 16, 2010
Putting one feature length film on the sd card often works. It is the act of adding more than one (and always more than two) that causes the problems. When I add the second or third movie I get videos that won't play or corruption of the entire card. I have tried putting them in the same folder and also tried putting them in the root of the card. I started thinking that it was a size limit in the operating system? So to nail this, we would need to successfully put three or more feature length films on the sd card so that they work. I have a 16gb card installed so this is not a memory problem.

danielch

Aug 24, 2008
www.webncode.com
ok, I placed two movies on my Desire, Star Trek and Avatar, using resolution 640x???
and they worked. So I think you should give Handbrake a try...
but I don't know why the files are corrupting your card, is your card faulty? I'm just guessing

Chodi25

May 16, 2010
After rather exhaustive experimentation I found the solution to this problem. It has to do with the bps rate. Most conversions programs default to 1200 or 1500bps for their conversion. I know cause I tried most of them. When I set the bps rate to 768 using Any Video Converter Pro the problem is solved. Odd thing is that the phone shows the resulting rate at 888bps for every video I convert at 768bps. No matter, it works. I did try Handbrake but found it to be way too slow. I am using an i7 processor with Windows 7 and I want to be able to use all the available threads for fast conversion. Any Video Converter Pro has an option for that and it works using all 8 threads. This also seems to resolve the video/sound sync problem that I was experiencing with some conversions. Must be a limit with the Android operating system.

biebi

Jul 4, 2009
I use iLove converter.... the iPhone profile works perfectly!
-------------------------------------
Sent from my HTC Desire

atconc

Jun 19, 2007
I haven't tried feature length but I use handbrake to convert tv eps - edited the iphone profile so that width is set to 800 and height is blank to keep files to the right resolution for the screen (although check your source files, if they are less than 800px width there's no point upscaling them here). I usually then set the target size to 350mb for a tv episode. This gives me decent quality and works well.

For playback I'm using mvideoplayer it's great :)

foxmeister

Mar 10, 2008
Ealing
Great but the iphone is 320 x 480 and the desire is 480 X 800 ... do you see what I'm getting at?

All my video is encoded at 320x480 using Handbrakes iPhone profile so that it can be used on my wifes iPod Touch as well as my Desire. Despite the fact that it doesn't use the extra resolution of the Desire, it looks perfectly fine on a small screen using Meridian for playback.

Regards,

Dave

redstar99

May 6, 2010
Best thing to use in my experience is winavi to 3gp/mp4 convertor. It converts in no time at all, i tend to convert to 3gp as they take up the least amount of space but quality of playback/sound is still excellent.

I use the aplayer app to play the 3gp file.

LoMiTy

Sep 28, 2007
Found this handbrake tutorial with settings tweaked for the Nexus One: http: //thegreencodeblog.com/2010/04/11/how-to-get-movies-on-your-android-device/

Haven't received my Desire yet but tried encoding a few movies. Took about 20 minutes for a 2 hour movie on my quad core PC.

Chodi25

May 16, 2010
It's got a Desire preset too!

I downloaded the Miro Video Converter from their site today. I found no Desire setting only Nexus One. I converted one xvid video it resulted in the wrong aspect and gave the dreaded "This Video cannot play" message. Bps rate was also too high and there is no way to change settings on that player. If there is a newer version I cannot find it on their site: http://www.mirovideoconverter.com/

Any Video Player Pro with a bps setting at 768 and set for Nexus One is still the only converter I find consistently working.

May 16, 2008
I downloaded the Miro Video Converter from their site today. I found no Desire setting only Nexus One. I converted one xvid video it resulted in the wrong aspect and gave the dreaded "This Video cannot play" message. Bps rate was also too high and there is no way to change settings on that player. If there is a newer version I cannot find it on their site: http://www.mirovideoconverter.com/

Any Video Player Pro with a bps setting at 768 and set for Nexus One is still the only converter I find consistently working.

Strange, Miro consistently works for me.