[HOW TO] How do you root the slide with new update on ubuntu?

Search This thread

imnotashinobi

Sep 9, 2010
like this! :D

i thought a purely ubuntu method would be helpful for those just starting out [like me] and the linux methods haven't been updated [to my knowledge].

1. charge your phone to at least 50%.

2. get adb.
BEARTARD said:
Install adb. Download it here: developer.android.com/sdk/index.html . adb is a little program distributed as part of the Android software development kit (SDK). Its job is to communicate with the phone from a shell (terminal). To install adb, I strongly suggest you copy the adb file from the tools directory into your system's /usr/local/bin directory. This way, it will always be in your path. If you don't intend to do development work on Android applications, feel free to delete the rest of the SDK after installing adb.
so, download that ^ . open it up and extract the adb file from the tools folder onto the desktop. now open up the terminal and type in:

gksu nautilus /usr/local/bin
drag the adb file in there and close nautilus.

3. pick a rom from the rom bible: xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=704567
i like the ota updated one from CR, the froyo ones were "too lacking" for me. although still awesome*
place the rom on your phone's sd card. don't unzip it. and remember where you put it.

4. download this 4shared.com/file/J6i52nwy/slideroot.html
make a folder somewhere [i use the desktop] and name it something, like "root". extract the downloaded files into that folder.

5. set the phone up to be rooted:
-unplug it from the computer if it is plugged in
-again, make sure it is charged to at least 50%
-settings > applications > development > USB debugging (check mark here)
-settings > connect to pc > charge only
-settings > wireless & networks > wifi unchecked (important)
-settings > sound & display > screen timeout > never
-now plug it back in

6. minimize all other windows.
open up a terminal and type:

cd

now drag the folder you extracted all the stuff from step 4 into the terminal window [faster than typing it all out :D]. click the title bar of the terminal. press enter. don't close this terminal. we should now be inside the folder.

7. copy and paste these commands in order.
they make some time to complete, so be patient or risk KILLING YOUR PHONE TO DEATH. [also, i'm not sure which commands actually require sudo to run so i just included it in all of the commands, forgive my noobishness].

commands:

sudo adb devices
-to start it up and make sure your phone is recognized the first time, if not, try again:

sudo adb devices

sudo adb push exploid /sqlite_stmt_journals

sudo adb push flash_image /data/local

sudo adb push mtd0.img /data/local

sudo adb push update.zip /sdcard

sudo adb push esprimg.zip /sdcard/ESPRIMG.zip
-you might want to get a drink or say hi to some friends at this point; takes a while. just wait until it says it's done like the rest.

adb shell

cd /sqlite_stmt_journals

chmod 0755 exploid

./exploid

-at this time go to settings and turn wifi on and then back off before continuing

./exploid
-the password is : secretlol
you should now have a # instead of a $

cd /data/local

chmod 04755 *

/data/local/flash_image misc /data/local/mtd0.img

8. turn off the phone.

9. press and hold volume down and then power up; hold both buttons.
let go when see the 3 skateboarding androids.

10. wait until the bar on the side of the screen loads.
if you don't see the bar wait about 4 minutes and something should happen.

11. when it is finished, press volume up, when prompted, to apply the update.
wait some more!~
DON'T REBOOT when it is done.

12. DON'T REBOOT!

13. press volume down.
press volume down once to highlight recovery and select with the power/lock button to boot recovery.
on the recovery screen you will see a device with a red warning triangle.
hold volume up and power together for a second or so.

14. ignore the warning at the bottom.
press volume down and then power to select apply update.zip.
you will now be loaded into the clockwork recovery and will be able to flash the rom of your choosing from your sd card.
you can use your touchpad at the bottom now and select with it.
otherwise: volume butttons=navigation power/lock=select

15. do a backup of your phone with nandroid.
-pretty self explanatory > press backup >wait >??? >profit!

16. wipe the device.
this won't wipe your sd card though, so don't worry.

17.install a custom rom
scroll down and select "install zip from sd"
select choose "zip from sdcard"
find your rom and apply!!!
wait!!!!!!.....
reboot!

18. complain on the dev forums about how bad the roms are, how dead the phone is, and speculate about newer phones. also, make sure to start your own thread even if it is a question, general banter, or to post pictures :D.
/sarcasm

19. seriously don't do step 18.
>_O

20. update the radio if it is not the newest one.
xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=705064

sources/more info:

exploid method:
xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=754669

ubuntu set up:
xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=710056

rom bible:
xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=704567

go donate money to the active devs now.

Last edited:

imnotashinobi

Sep 9, 2010
thanks! i didn't know how else to so eloquently explain adb, so i just quoted you. hopefully this will be of help to all three of those linux users out there on this forum!

slughappy1

Jun 24, 2010
Salt Lake City
It's kind of funny, I came on here to write a thread like this one. I noticed that there wasn't a single thread that combined the new root method with flashing the ENG build into one. You saved me some time.

I noticed that you don't have the part about updating to the newest Radio after the ENG build. Do the newer ROMs come with a Radio update in them?

imnotashinobi

Sep 9, 2010
@slughappy1: i reccomended updating to CR's OTA rom since going from stock to updated stock with root is the most logical step. therefore, a radio updatre is included.

to my knowledge, the nicer devs include the newer radio, other wise they make a mention of updating it. anyways, i'll include it in my tutorial for completeness sake. now if only i could figure out how to take non-blurry distance pictures with my slide >_>. sadly, i'll probably sell this off for a g2 =\.

arifwn

Aug 30, 2010
Why sudo? I don't think adb need super user permission. Is it needed because you put it in /usr/local?

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using Tapatalk

nbetcher

Jan 2, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Why sudo? I don't think adb need super user permission. Is it needed because you put it in /usr/local?

Some systems are setup incorrectly to handle giving users permission to write to the ADB device file when the phone is plugged in. The correct process is to fix the permissions on the dev file that udev creates. Here's a link to do that: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=5300224&postcount=6.

Please ALWAYS refrain from using 'sudo' or 'su' unless you're ABSOLUTELY sure that it needs root and there's no (more) proper way to do it.

(On a side note, I'm always available to answer any simple or complicated Linux questions anyone may have. You can PM me to get my attention or GTalk: nbetcher at gmail dot com.)

beartard

Jun 20, 2008
Winter Haven, Florida, USA
Thanks for the post about not using sudo. It was a quick way to make sure users on various linux distros can get it to work without a whole bunch of rigmarole.

On another note about the udev rules mentioned, the "SYSFS{}" call is being deprecated and a revision will be needed soon.

vikramdhani

Apr 2, 2006
So i tried to follow the intstruction but once i booted in recovery mode nothing happend :(

10. wait until the bar on the side of the screen loads.
if you don't see the bar wait about 4 minutes and something should happen.

this is the step where nothing i happening on my phone

beartard

Jun 20, 2008
Winter Haven, Florida, USA
You didn't give much information to learn where the problem might be. If you didn't get the loading bar on the side of the screen, your recovery didn't see the ESPRIMG.zip file in the root directory of your sd card. Mount it on the computer and see if it's there.

vikramdhani

Apr 2, 2006
You didn't give much information to learn where the problem might be. If you didn't get the loading bar on the side of the screen, your recovery didn't see the ESPRIMG.zip file in the root directory of your sd card. Mount it on the computer and see if it's there.

Alright let me check if the sd card has ESPRIMG.zip. but i have a question no where in the instruction it says if i need to transfer the zip file to the sd card ?