[HOWTO] Expand storage space with Link2SD and SDExt2Mounter

Search This thread

WhoDunnit

Sep 10, 2007
OnePlus 8
I guess everybody would like to expand the Ouya's internal memory. I tried the usual tools, and although DirectoryBind is working, it doesn't help much because there are no obb or data directories to be moved for Ouya games.

However, Link2SD works just fine!

Prerequisites:
  1. Installed SuperUser on Ouya
  2. Link2SD apk
  3. USB drive with a 2nd primary partition formatted as ext4

There are plenty of guides that explain how to get the SuperUser apk installed, so just use the search button above.

The Link2SD apk you can install on your phone from Google Play, and copy it to some place from where you can install it on your Ouya.

Use any tool (gparted, MiniTool Partition, etc.) to create a 2nd, primary partition on your USB drive, and format it to ext4. Use the search button if you are in doubt.

Now, Link2SD does not seem to recognize that there is indeed an ext4 formatted 2nd partition on the USB drive.
To make it work you have to mount it manually (see below), or install my SDExt2Mounter for Ouya, or use the script in post #3.

Manual way:
So, insert the USB drive in Ouya, and do the following:
[in adb shell]:
  1. su
  2. mkdir /data/sdext2
  3. mount -t ext4 /dev/block/vold/8\:2 /data/sdext2
  4. exit

:victory: Now start Link2SD on the Ouya, and start using that cumbersome touchpad to move apps and data (use the Link button, as Move to SD card does not work for Ouya) to your new found storage space! There are some options in the Link2SD menu to make all future installed app be automatically moved (and linked) to the new location, but I haven't tested that one yet.

:rolleyes: Of course things will break if you remove the USB drive from the Ouya, and if you really power down the Ouya, you have to make sure you first mount the ext4 partition before the launcher starts, or you cannot use the games!

Use SDExt2Mounter:
Make sure you have rooted your Ouya and installed busybox; you will have to reroot your Ouya after each firmware upgrade!
Install SDExt2Mounter; you will find the app in the "PLAY" menu, not in the "MAKE" menu. Yes! My first Ouya app! :eek:
  • Start SDExt2Mounter
  • Grant it PERMANTENT root access if asked
  • Press the (make and) mount button
  • Press the AutoMount on Boot button
  • Reboot your Ouya
After the reboot step, your Ouya will automatically mount the sdext2 partition so your games will show up in the launcher. Obviously, you only need to go through these steps once.

Start the app, grant it PERMANTENT root access, and hit the "(make and) mount button".

Changelog:
v1.2: Added Automount option to mount sdext2 on boot, so your games show up in the launcher.
v1.1: Corrected directory path; added SuperUser permission

Attachments

• SDExt2Mounter_1.1.apk
    94.9 KB · Views: 394
  • SDExt2Mounter_1.2.apk
    97.7 KB · Views: 1,250
Last edited:

professorpoptart

Jul 7, 2010
Awesome! on the todo list.. FYI though be sure not to put your main launcher or su stuff on the linked partition.

natorus87

Oct 6, 2010

Attachments

• usbext4mount.zip
    230 bytes · Views: 645

JLCollier2005

Mar 9, 2011
What happens if you start up your OUYA with the USB drive not plugged in? Would it just not show the apps? Or maybe show an error? Basically I'm wondering if there could be any complications with the OUYA if I forgot to add the HDD to the OUYA before turning it on.

professorpoptart

Jul 7, 2010
What happens if you start up your OUYA with the USB drive not plugged in? Would it just not show the apps? Or maybe show an error? Basically I'm wondering if there could be any complications with the OUYA if I forgot to add the HDD to the OUYA before turning it on.

The links are basically shortcuts made to the app on the new partition. The same idea if you remove a drive with all your steam games on it, worst case the shortcut won't work.

Also they would then just show a link icon instead of the actual app icon as this is rendered from a file in the apk itself.

The Old One

Dec 4, 2010
Indio
After reboot even with the init script any linked apps were gone for me

Sent from my OUYA Console using xda app-developers app

okstranger

Apr 14, 2010
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, since I am in no way an expert, but looking at the init.d script I think there should be a space in between 'shmkdir /data/sdext2' and 'mount -t...' ? Haven't powered down yet so I can't confirm whether it works or not.

BALivindream

Nov 29, 2010
Minneapolis
I have this working great now!

When I tried to go to the play store and download Universal Init.d, it would force close upon opening. I had to search for and download an earlier version, Uni-init v1.0.apk.

It does take longer for my OUYA to boot now, so just wait for it.

frickinjerms

Sep 14, 2008
Victoria, TX
is there a way to verify the linking was successful?

i opened links2sd before i gparted my 1.5tb external and it said that there was no secondary partition..
then did the ext4 partition for 100gb and enabled the init.d support and moved the script linked in this thread to my new init.d folder created and then reboot my ouya
then when i opened up links2sd again it allowed me to make links so i did those on gta3 and gtaVC (which are about 1gb a pop) and after it finished i navigated to the /data/sdext2 folder in ES file explorer and it says the folder is empty... i then went into my system settings and it says that my internal storage is still the whack 5.78gb and that i only have like 1,21gb remaining (which is what was present before i tried the mod)..

Im purdy sure i followed everything like i am supposed to... plus it says that my usbdrive folder is empty now too??

so i went into terminal emulator and rebooted the device.. and now my usbdrive shows up, but the apps i linked aren't there in the make drawer and when i opened up links2sd, i cant find the apps i linked in the list at all and it says the second partition isn't found :/

Last edited:

cronikman84

Dec 8, 2012
Holyoke
I guess everybody would like to expand the Ouya's internal memory. I tried the usual tools, and although DirectoryBind is working, it doesn't help much because there are no obb or data directories to be moved for Ouya games.

Prerequisites:
  2. Link2SD apk

There are plenty of guides that explain how to get the SuperUser apk installed, so just use the search button above.

The Link2SD apk you can install on your phone from Google Play, and copy it to some place from where you can install it on your Ouya.

Use any tool (gparted, MiniTool Partition, etc.) to create a 2nd, primary partition on your USB drive, and format it to ext4. Use the search button if you are in doubt.

Now, Link2SD does not seem to recognize that there is indeed an ext4 formatted 2nd partition on the USB drive. To make it work, you have to mount it manually to /data/sdext2. So, insert the USB drive in Ouya, and do the following:
[in adb shell]:
  1. su
  2. mkdir /data/sdext2
  4. exit

:victory: Now start Link2SD on the Ouya, and start using that cumbersome touchpad to move apps and data (use the Link button, as Move to SD card does not work for Ouya) to your new found storage space! There are some options in the Link2SD menu to make every future installed app be automatically moved (and linked) to the new location, but I haven't tested that one yet.

:rolleyes: Of course things will break if you remove the USB drive from the Ouya, and also if you really power down the Ouya, you have to first mount the ext4 partition manually before you can use the games!

If I find the time I might make a small app/script to automate things, but if someone beats me to it, I won't cry!
"To make it work, you have to mount it manually to /data/sdext2. So, insert the USB drive in Ouya, and do the following" <---do i type in the commands right from the ouya with terminal emulator? and if so when i type (mkdir /data/sdext2) from the terminal emulator i get a "mkdir failed for /data/sdext2, File exists" i know the file exists so it's cool but when i type the second command (mount -t ext4 /dev/block/vold/8\:2 /data/sdext2) it gives me a "mount: No such file or directory" i dont know what im doing wrong :confused:...please i need some help, i keep running out of internal space and i need to expand ...also i used mini tool partition wizard to format my 16gb sd card to ext4...

WhoDunnit

Sep 10, 2007
OnePlus 8
Do you mind if I add this script into my Ouya ToolBox?
All credit will be given to you, of course.
Thank you! :)

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2350900

Since the author of the script in post #3 (natorus87) is not answering your question, I will. If you want to copy the concept in your ToolBox, that's perfectly fine with me. Also, if you want to add my app to your toolbox, that's fine too. If you want the exact script of post #3, you'll have to PM natorus87.

WhoDunnit

Sep 10, 2007
OnePlus 8
Ouya mounting app added

I added an app for the Ouya to do the manual steps of creating the folder and mounting the partition to the OP. The app needs root access (so be sure to reroot your Ouya after a firmware update). Note: it is an Ouya app, so it will show up in the "PLAY" menu instead of the "MAKE" menu...:silly:

Reactions: robinscp

robinscp

Feb 20, 2012
Where can we get this app?

Forget that. I have seen you have addedit to the 1st post.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda app-developers app

robinscp

Feb 20, 2012
I am having issues with the app finding the partition.

What type Id does it need to be?

robinscp

Feb 20, 2012
I have tried unsuccessfully all day to create a partition that is seen by link2sd.

Your app mounts the ext4 partition and I can see it on a file explorer but link 2sd says no partition found. :confused:

WhoDunnit

Sep 10, 2007
OnePlus 8
I have tried unsuccessfully all day to create a partition that is seen by link2sd.

Your app mounts the ext4 partition and I can see it on a file explorer but link 2sd says no partition found. :confused:

You're right. I'm afraid I left the app in "testing" mode: it mounts to /data/sdext while it should be /data/sdext2. I'll update it tonight. Sorry for the inconvenience, and thanks for reporting.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Prerequisites:
    2. Link2SD apk

Now, Link2SD does not seem to recognize that there is indeed an ext4 formatted 2nd partition on the USB drive.
    To make it work you have to mount it manually (see below), or install my SDExt2Mounter for Ouya, or use the script in post #3.

Manual way:
    So, insert the USB drive in Ouya, and do the following:
    [in adb shell]:
    1. su
    2. mkdir /data/sdext2
    4. exit

:victory: Now start Link2SD on the Ouya, and start using that cumbersome touchpad to move apps and data (use the Link button, as Move to SD card does not work for Ouya) to your new found storage space! There are some options in the Link2SD menu to make all future installed app be automatically moved (and linked) to the new location, but I haven't tested that one yet.

:rolleyes: Of course things will break if you remove the USB drive from the Ouya, and if you really power down the Ouya, you have to make sure you first mount the ext4 partition before the launcher starts, or you cannot use the games!

Use SDExt2Mounter:
    Make sure you have rooted your Ouya and installed busybox; you will have to reroot your Ouya after each firmware upgrade!
    Install SDExt2Mounter; you will find the app in the "PLAY" menu, not in the "MAKE" menu. Yes! My first Ouya app! :eek:
    • Start SDExt2Mounter
    • Grant it PERMANTENT root access if asked
    • Press the (make and) mount button
    • Press the AutoMount on Boot button
    • Reboot your Ouya
    After the reboot step, your Ouya will automatically mount the sdext2 partition so your games will show up in the launcher. Obviously, you only need to go through these steps once.

Start the app, grant it PERMANTENT root access, and hit the "(make and) mount button".

Changelog:
    v1.2: Added Automount option to mount sdext2 on boot, so your games show up in the launcher.
    v1.1: Corrected directory path; added SuperUser permission
    here i have made smal script....extract it to system/etc/init.d an then install Universal Init.d
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.androguide.universal.init.d&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5hbmRyb2d1aWRlLnVuaXZlcnNhbC5pbml0LmQiXQ..

Now open the app and give it su permissions and turn inti.d support on! Now all goes automatically :D

Since the author of the script in post #3 (natorus87) is not answering your question, I will. If you want to copy the concept in your ToolBox, that's perfectly fine with me. Also, if you want to add my app to your toolbox, that's fine too. If you want the exact script of post #3, you'll have to PM natorus87.
    Ouya mounting app added

I added an app for the Ouya to do the manual steps of creating the folder and mounting the partition to the OP. The app needs root access (so be sure to reroot your Ouya after a firmware update). Note: it is an Ouya app, so it will show up in the "PLAY" menu instead of the "MAKE" menu...:silly: