[Q] I just need root...do i need unlock bootloader?

Search This thread

blion

Dec 13, 2011
I have been a Samsung user all along but just got the Z2. I need to root but otherwise want to keep as stock as possible. I just have a few questions:

(a) What is the bootloader and why do people unlock the bootloader?
(b) If I just need root and otherwise all stock, should I just follow the Community RootKit guide (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2783750&page=17)
(c) Anything I need to be aware of before rooting? Are there any irreversible changes from rooting??

Thanks!

Xernoxis

Jun 6, 2012
Akershus
1. Before this exploit you had to unlock the bootloader to get root. Also you need to unlock it to get custom kernel. I am not sure about custom ROM.
2. Yes, a few page in is a step by step guide, look for it.
3. You do void the warranty, but you can unroot it if you haven't hard-bricked it.

Reactions: blion

Envious_Data

Oct 12, 2012
Imagination
enviousmedia.design
Rooting is reversable you can just uninstall via supersu

Bootloader is the part of your device which starts the boot process, unlocking your bootloader removes of the signatures and keys which prevent modifacations from working on a locked one

By rooting or Unlocking your bootloader you will void your warrenty

Sent from my D6503 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: blion

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    1. Before this exploit you had to unlock the bootloader to get root. Also you need to unlock it to get custom kernel. I am not sure about custom ROM.
    2. Yes, a few page in is a step by step guide, look for it.
    3. You do void the warranty, but you can unroot it if you haven't hard-bricked it.
    Rooting is reversable you can just uninstall via supersu

Bootloader is the part of your device which starts the boot process, unlocking your bootloader removes of the signatures and keys which prevent modifacations from working on a locked one

By rooting or Unlocking your bootloader you will void your warrenty

Sent from my D6503 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app