The WindowBreak Project

Search This thread

ej_424

Apr 17, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
If it says loading, then it's done. Same thing happens in the video.

Perfect! :) How can i be sure it worked? I was able to sideload the nokia drive xap via the deployment tool, but I think that would work anyway since its an offical WP7 app that nokia has preloaded correct? I'll try loading some homebrew xap and see how that goes but curious what I can check on my phone to confirm.

Thanks again!

lucasryan

Dec 20, 2010
Tennessee
Perfect! :) How can i be sure it worked? I was able to sideload the nokia drive xap via the deployment tool, but I think that would work anyway since its an offical WP7 app that nokia has preloaded correct? I'll try loading some homebrew xap and see how that goes but curious what I can check on my phone to confirm.

Thanks again!

Try loading Root tools or Advance config, that should tell you.

lukas_ita

Sep 8, 2009
Jaxbot, in Windows folder there is a DiagnosisApp.xap file if I remember. You can extract it from a Rom dump and install it before use Windowbreak...we only need to extract the proper version of Diagnosis...correct me if I said a stupid thing xD

Kaiser137

Apr 18, 2012
To install the DiagnosisApp.xap you'll to be able to sideload apps anyway, which means your wp7 would of been unlocked.

lukas_ita

Sep 8, 2009
To install the DiagnosisApp.xap you'll to be able to sideload apps anyway, which means your wp7 would of been unlocked.
Yes I know. So at least in this way who have a dev-unlocked device can interop-unlock its phone... Now who have a dev-unlocked device can't do this with wrong Diagnosis version.

katamari201

Oct 18, 2011
Does windowbreak alter any files permanently that a hard reset wouldn't be able to revert back? I have tried using the windowbreak on a flash focus but when I tap windowbreak in the gprs menu it just says loading... and continues saying that indefinitely. I'm not sure if it did anything. I want to revert back to stock.

edit: I just read that this is suppose to be normal and that now my phone is unlocked? Can I revert back to before I did the jailbreak? I need the phone in stock condition to give it back, or at least with everything in perfect working order.

Last edited:

GoodDayToDie

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
Dev-unlock and interop-unlock are just registry changes. A hard-reset will completely wipe the registry and replace it with a basic image as though on a fresh install.

Basically, almost anything that you can do to the phone while the OS is booted (so WindowBreak counts, but installing a CAB file or a custom bootloader does not) will be un-done by a hard reset.

katamari201

Oct 18, 2011
Dev-unlock and interop-unlock are just registry changes. A hard-reset will completely wipe the registry and replace it with a basic image as though on a fresh install.

Basically, almost anything that you can do to the phone while the OS is booted (so WindowBreak counts, but installing a CAB file or a custom bootloader does not) will be un-done by a hard reset.

Thx for the quick reply. The reason why I tried windowbreak was because I got this focus flash that I wanted to use on T-mobile, and I even got the sim unlock code from a dealer, but I always get a sim error when trying to input it, and the dealer suggested I try reflashing the firmware since it shouldn't say sim error, but something along the lines of wrong pin, and the sim error was baffling.

I don't know anything about windows phone roms or reflashing or any of that. I was under the impression that after using windowbreak, I could just connect to zune software and the 8107 update would show up, sort of a reflashing in a way, but with a new firmware. Connecting it to a zune doesn't do anything. Have I missed some steps? And do you think reflashing would fix the sim error and allow me to use it on t-mobile? I don't want to do anything damaging or permanent. If it is stuck on At&t and I can't use it on T-mobile, I have no choice but to sell it, and I don't want to mess it up beforehand.

GoodDayToDie

Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
Oookay, you appear to have completely misunderstood everything about WindowBreak and the types of unlocks it gives you. I'm not sure how, but I'll try to help.

First, your SIM-unlock. You've put the T-Mobile SIM card in the phone, right? Sometimes you need to do that before entering the unlock code (on some phones this isn't needed or possibly even should not be done, though, so try with no SIM or an AT&T SIM). Also, of course, make sure the SIM card is seated correctly in the phone before you turn it on...

Second, WindowBreak is a developer-unlock (so you can install unsigned application bundles, called XAP files) and an interop-unlock (so you can install XAPs with a restricted permssion flag and can install an arbitrary number of XAPs). Nothing more, nothing less. Anything else that you want to do with WindowBreak, you'll need to first install an app that does it for you (for example, if you wanted to remove mobile operator branding from your phone's registry).

Third, I doubt that 8107 is going to solve your problem (it's an incremental OS update, not a full ROM re-flash), but I suppose it's possible. If for some reason AT&T still isn't rolling out that update, you can use the CAB sender tool to forcibly update your phone. I strongly recommend you use the update uption that takes a backup so you can restore the phone to exactly stock configuration if it turns out that you do need to sell it back.

Fourth, sadly, there's no public way that I currently know of to fully flash a Focus Flash, even with a stock ROM. You may have wanted to ask that dealer for one. I'm sure that such a tool exists, but I've yet to actually see it. The tool used for gen1 Samsung Windows Phones does not work with the gen2 models.

Reactions: Briefcase

katamari201

Oct 18, 2011
Oookay, you appear to have completely misunderstood everything about WindowBreak and the types of unlocks it gives you. I'm not sure how, but I'll try to help.

First, your SIM-unlock. You've put the T-Mobile SIM card in the phone, right? Sometimes you need to do that before entering the unlock code (on some phones this isn't needed or possibly even should not be done, though, so try with no SIM or an AT&T SIM). Also, of course, make sure the SIM card is seated correctly in the phone before you turn it on...

Second, WindowBreak is a developer-unlock (so you can install unsigned application bundles, called XAP files) and an interop-unlock (so you can install XAPs with a restricted permssion flag and can install an arbitrary number of XAPs). Nothing more, nothing less. Anything else that you want to do with WindowBreak, you'll need to first install an app that does it for you (for example, if you wanted to remove mobile operator branding from your phone's registry).

Third, I doubt that 8107 is going to solve your problem (it's an incremental OS update, not a full ROM re-flash), but I suppose it's possible. If for some reason AT&T still isn't rolling out that update, you can use the CAB sender tool to forcibly update your phone. I strongly recommend you use the update uption that takes a backup so you can restore the phone to exactly stock configuration if it turns out that you do need to sell it back.

Fourth, sadly, there's no public way that I currently know of to fully flash a Focus Flash, even with a stock ROM. You may have wanted to ask that dealer for one. I'm sure that such a tool exists, but I've yet to actually see it. The tool used for gen1 Samsung Windows Phones does not work with the gen2 models.

Yes I understood that the dev-unlock and sim unlock were different. The dealer thought that someone might have messed with the rom on the phone I bought beforehand, thus causing the sim error message that normally shouldn't show up when trying to sim unlock a phone. I heard people were using windowbreak to jailbreak their phone and then push the 8107 update on it. I was assuming I had missed some steps involving debranding and whatnot but info on the focus flash is scarce so wanted to see what people here might say. The phone was bought brand new from a third party though, with plastic all over and a sealed battery package, so I doubt it was ever turned on or meddled with.

I'll probably just end up selling it since I doubt flashing it to a newer update will solve my problems. Maybe At&t has gotten smart and made it impossible to unlock the phone with a t-mobile sim, their only gsm competitor in the states? Maybe I should try finding a canadian sim or european sim to see if it will accept it? Yeah kind of sounds farfetched that At&t would do something like that for an obscure phone.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

GoodDayToDie

Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
Pushing an update, like 8107, neither requires nor benefits from dev-unlock. I'd be curious to know where you heard that. Debranding (which does require dev- and interop-unlock) can sometimes let you get an update before your carrier normally would, but it's a potentially risky approach and just pushing the update directly is simpler anyhow.

Did you try a different SIM card? It's possible that there really *is* a "SIM error if the card is defective.

Reactions: Briefcase

saa044

Jul 28, 2007
Pretoria
Perfect, deleting Diag worked for me! Thanks!

How do you install Samsung Diagnostic again?

---------- Post added at 09:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 AM ----------

Dang dont see the option in the Gprs menu, being a TOTAL noob what else can I do to jailbreak my phone? Someone mentioned a custom rom, can I just load the custom rom or does my phone need to be unlocked for that also?

I know next-to-nothing about hacking Lumias or WP7 devices in general. I'm pretty new. I mean, on Android and iOS I have somewhat of an idea as to what I'm doing.

I dunno if it helps at all, but since I know crashes can point to vulnerabilities, and those can lead to unlocking goodness...My Lumia 900 would always crash if I tried to load a large Imgur album. Like, IE would become unstable until I actually restarted the phone. That's how bad it crashed.

Not sure if it's just my phone, or if such a crash could point the way to a vulnerability. But I thought I'd share nonetheless.

GoodDayToDie

Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
Making use of that kind of crash typically requires being able to run a debugger on it, which is mildly difficult on WP7. Still, that does have potential. If you set desktop IE9 to the phone's user-agent string and try to load the same page, do you also get a crash? It's possible you wouldn't (even if the source code was the same) just due to the differences between ARM and x86, but there's still *some* bug in there.

sensboston

Recognized Developer
Nov 18, 2009
Boston, MA
Xodium, do you remember exact link where you've got crash? I may try to reproduce. As GoodDayToDie said, without debugger it's useless but AFAIR if it's reproducible on the full unlocked custom ROM, it might be interesting...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    "What am I doing, why am I here, what is this about, and where am I going with this."

Hello all. After dealing with rumors, rumors of rumors, and the like, I've finally managed to disclose something I hold very dear to me: the WindowBreak project.
    As the name suggests, this is a jailbreak project for Windows Phone 7. I started something a while back that had little success, but through the months, I've managed to figure out something that should bring light into the Windows Phone jailbreaking scene.

Real quick, though:
    What this is: A project, with information about some interesting exploits I found, and a call for the community to dive in.
    What this isn't: A full fledged jailbreak. Please don't post replies such as "when will XXXX device be supported". It just wastes time, and I assure you, I want every device included.
    It also is not a full unlock. Just interop.

The details
    So here's the sitch. We all know how Heathcliff74's interop unlock works. XAP files are just ZIP files, and ZIP files can have entries that allow extracting in parent directories.
    Interesting thing is, this can be done using the ZipView application, which normally stores data in \Application Data\Volatile\Zipview\<random id>
    Thus, creating a directory in a ZIP file called ../../../../provxml will copy all those files into the \provxml\ folder upon extraction.
    See what I did there?

Limitations
    Of course, there are limitations.
    1) We cannot extract into \Windows\. There's a policy that prevents it.
    2) The bad one: We can only extract known MIME types, at least to my knowledge. This is because the files are only extracted when they are clicked on in ZipView. And clicking on a .dbz file, for example, will just say the file type is not supported. Bummer.

What we can do...
    As mentioned above, this can be used for a fresh out of the box jailbreak for Samsung devices, using provxml. Here's a video of that:
    Try it yourself: with a Samsung device, go to http://windowsphonehacker.com/windowbreak and press WindowBreak Me.

In theory, this would be all we need to jailbreak most Windows Phone devices. Unfortunately, Nokia and HTC devices block the registry entries in provisioning files. I'm not sure what the extent of this "whitelist" (or is it a blacklist?) is, and details/tests on this would be appreciated.

What needs to be done...

Nokia: I don't have a Nokia device, but I've been working a great deal on figuring out how to crack it's shell, and have a couple of ideas. If I'm able to get my hands on a Nokia device soon, I'll try some of these unorthodox exploits out, otherwise I'll need some daring volunteers.

HTC: I do have an HTC device, but I can't figure out how to extract the files for the Connection Setup program. If someone can give me details on what the password encryption is on it, etc, for the HTC interop unlock, that would be much appreciated.

Other devices: Not a lot of demand for these (and LG needs no jailbreak, since it has MFG), but if something comes up, feel free to share where the provisioning files exist and I'll see about "windowbreaking" them.

So this is my little project, and I hope the details I'm sharing will lead to further development. My personal device (Samsung Focus) is easily interop unlocked now, without costing me a cent. I'd really like this to be the case for everyone; I'm not saying the $9 unlock for Chevron Labs is bad, in fact, it's greatly supported homebrew. What I am saying, though, is that freedom is still possible, and regardless, any developments made here will further support interop unlocking on Chevron/apphub unlocked devices. With that in mind...

Merry Christmas. ;)

Special thanks to: Heathcliff74 for much of the research and idea behind the exploit
    All the supporting members of XDA, who bring appreciation for what we do. Thank you. ;)
    Cool! Ridiculous that I didn't think of this myself ;)

I will send you the password of the dbz files when I get home. I don't have it here.

But the real problem for HTC and NOKIA are the whitelists. I've been working on this for the past time. And today I made more progress. I developed a new way of debugging native 3rd party dll's/drivers. U can isolate functions and call them from a test app for unit-testing. This makes testing a lot easier. This will help me find exploits much faster. I can even call the whitelist functions of HTC and NOKIA on my Samsung now ;) Working on it right now.

Good find!!

Heathcliff74
    Wow. It actually worked. Changed some stuff around, added folders and files into a Marketplace XAP and then had Fiddler replace it when downloading. .. trick works, XAP installs, etc. Beautiful... just beautiful. *sob* I can really make something out of this :p
    Nice call!

P.S. apparently i was wrong about the size check. Was pretty sure I wasn't, though. Not sure what happened, but it works right now, so I'll just not complain.
    DBZ Password
    030D681B-1DFC-4bd0-A72A-A9B3CCCDA653

---------- Post added at 10:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:29 AM ----------

Oh and it was found here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=18916888
    First of all, the OS version does *not* matter here, it's all about the firmware version or bootloader version.
    Second, "jailbreak" is a very ambiguous term on WP7, and one I really wish people wouldn't use, because there are multiple levels of unlocking.

The first, developer-unlock, is actually a feature of the OS and is supported by Microsoft. All phones can be dev-unlocked, but normally you have to pay for it (an AppHub account, intended for Marketplace developers, lets you unlock up to 3 phones and install up to 10 unsigned apps on each, for $99/year). Students can get a free account through DreamSpark, but only for one phone and up to three unsigned apps at once. There's another way, for $9 a ChevronWP7 Labs token lets you unlock one phone and put up to 10 unsigned apps on it. Unfortunately, those tokens are sold out and we have heard nothing on them getting any more (had to be approved by Microsoft). There are also some hacks that will dev-unlock a phone, such as WindowBreak (this thread). There aren't currently any such hacks available for HTC, though.

Next, there's interop-unlock. This means removing the 3- or 10-app limit, and also allowing the installation of apps that can use system components (drivers and long-running services) to break out of their sandboxes. These apps, commonly called "interop" apps after the ID_CAP_INTEROPSERVICES line in their manifests' that enables this capability, include things like registry editors and the HtcRoot project. All ways of getting interop-unlock are based on hacks. For Samsung phones, WindowBreak can be used to interop-unlock at the same time as dev-unlock. For HTC phones, though, you need to first be dev-unlocked before you can interop-unlock.

The third level is called "full unlock" and means the policy system that controls app sandboxing and user permissions has been disabled completely. Any app can run, and all apps run with full access to the whole device. Although this heightens the risk of malware or o accidentally damaging the device, it also allows all kinds of cool features to be added right into the phone, as well as enabling some very cool apps (including ports of WinMo apps). Currently, the only way to get full-unlock is to use a custom ROM.

In order to use a custom ROM, your device must have an unlocked bootloader. This is done by installing an alternate bootloader called RSPL, and can be made permanent by installing HSPL. You can read the DFT (Dark Forces Team, who are responsible, directly or indirectly, for almost all custom ROM achievements on WP7) threads on R/HSPL on this forum. Although all first-gen HTC phones are now supported for xSPL, be aware that it can only be installed over stock SPL (bootloader) versions on 3.1 or lower. Most fully up-to-date phones will be running SPL 5.x.

For you, in particular, you can either try interop-unlocking, or you can try installing an unlocked bootloader and a custom ROM. The first option preserves your phone data, but is less permissive in what you can do. The second option allows almost anything, but you'll have to wipe the phone and will also be at the mercy of any bugs in the custom ROMs. Additionally, either option may require rolling back the phone in some way (firmware for interop-unlock, SPL for bootloader unlock), and interop-unlock will require first getting dev-unlock (may cost money).