[Q] Uh-Oh, TWRP not allowing me to mount via USB

Search This thread

throwback1718

Jul 23, 2006
Brooklyn
OnePlus 11
$10 paypal to who can help me solve this

Here's the deal people,

My GNex was slowing down and acting all funny with stock 4.3 after about 6 months

I finally decided to try out a 4.4.2 ROM

I had TWRP on the phone so I said I'd just copy the Zip to the root folder along with the Gapps

Long story short, I accidentally wiped the storage.
Then I said no biggie, and figured that I'd just mount the USB to my laptop and transfer the Zip file of the ROM I wanted over to the storage.

BUT when ever I tap on mount USB nothing shows up in the devices.

Now I have nothing to transfer the files to.

I have windows 8 on the computer I'm currently using if that matters.

Forgive me people. I am not an avid flasher like I was when windows phone 6 was still around. So spare the insults . Just need my phone running so I can contact my loved ones

Last edited:

AndyYan

Recognized Contributor
Jan 30, 2012
Beijing
Galaxy Nexus uses MTP instead of Mass Storage mode, so you can't mount it as usual.
However, there's an "ADB sideload" option that lets you sideload a ROM from your PC using the ADB command (if you have the drivers installed, in the command prompt window, just type "adb sideload *THE-PATH-TO-YOUR-ROM-FILE*").
Find out more with Google :)

$10 paypal to who can help me solve this

We Chinese don't use Paypal ;)

Sent from Google Nexus 4 @ CM11

Last edited:

throwback1718

Jul 23, 2006
Brooklyn
OnePlus 11
Galaxy Nexus uses MTP instead of Mass Storage mode, so you can't mount it as usual.
However, there's an "ADB sideload" option that lets you sideload a ROM from your PC using the ADB command (if you have the drivers installed, in the command prompt window, just type "adb sideload *THE-PATH-TO-YOUR-ROM-FILE*").
Find out more with Google :)

We Chinese don't use Paypal ;)

agh I have read that the drivers don't work on windows 8 PC's . But I'll try

I flash my phone usually 2 or 3x per 12 months. so please pardon me if I forget some things...
In addition, the phone has nothing on it but TWRP

so no OS is on it at the moment. and no USB mounting.

Last edited:

doomed151

Dec 5, 2009
I think USB mount is used for mounting USB flash drives attached through USB OTG.

The essentials. Contains ADB, fastboot and USB drivers from the Android SDK (should work on 8 and 8.1).
ADB_usb-driver.zip (8.79 MB)

To transfer files within TWRP, you need to use adb. Start by installing the driver. To verify for successful driver installation, type in:
Code:
adb devices
It should show you a "List of devices attached" and there's at least 1 item in the list.
Then copy the zip you want to flash into the same folder as adb. Let's say the file is named rom.zip. To "push" it to the phone, use the following command:
Code:
adb push rom.zip /sdcard/rom.zip
After it has finished "pushing" the file, just tap "Install" in TWRP and the zip file should be there!
You can now proceed flashing the ROM of your choice.

cmstlist

Jan 11, 2010
Toronto
Google Pixel 4a
If you have wiped the storage without subsequently booting into a working ROM, the internal storage partition will be unformatted and you may have trouble writing to it.

If this is the case and you don't have a bootable ROM, you will need to flash a stock ROM via fastboot first and boot once, then try the whole thing again (don't wipe userdata this time!).

throwback1718

Jul 23, 2006
Brooklyn
OnePlus 11
If you have wiped the storage without subsequently booting into a working ROM, the internal storage partition will be unformatted and you may have trouble writing to it.

If this is the case and you don't have a bootable ROM, you will need to flash a stock ROM via fastboot first and boot once, then try the whole thing again (don't wipe userdata this time!).

THis is my issue now. I was able to get the GNex wugfresh toolkit

I was able to push the original 4.4.2 ROM that I wanted over to the device. But It keeps saying failed at the install point.

Good thing I came back to read this post. Thanks. Ill try to flash by fastboot

EDIT Now im trying to do it via fastboot and its saying AdbWinApi.dllis missing.

I keep hitting these damn road blocks. Im sure I have many people calling and texting me.

Last edited:

cmstlist

Jan 11, 2010
Toronto
Google Pixel 4a
Can you temporarily put the SIM in another operable phone to get your calls and texts?

Not sure about the fastboot error. You'd need to download a Google stock ROM image directly from them, and fastboot flash the system and boot partitions. This should be enough for a reboot to regenerate the user data partition. You cannot flash the custom ROM in fastboot unless a version has been made available in that format.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

AndyYan

Recognized Contributor
Jan 30, 2012
Beijing
EDIT Now im trying to do it via fastboot and its saying AdbWinApi.dllis missing.

Might as well use another non-Win8 computer, drivers are hard to mess with.

---------- Post added at 09:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 AM ----------

Is that so?

AndyYan

Recognized Contributor
Jan 30, 2012
Beijing
Yes, why would I say it if it were not my experience that it is so?

On Nexus devices, a userdata wipe from the bootloader often leaves it in a state where custom recovery cannot write to data. Booting once into a bootable ROM typically fixes this.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I mean, is it true that after wiping all partitions (data, cache, dalvik, system, internal storage) in recovery, you cannot sideload a ROM as usual? What error does the phone give? And why does wiping breaks partition table, when all it does is *independently* formatting all partitions?

Sent from Lenovo Erazer Z500 @ Android-x86 4.3

cmstlist

Jan 11, 2010
Toronto
Google Pixel 4a
I mean, is it true that after wiping all partitions (data, cache, dalvik, system, internal storage) in recovery, you cannot sideload a ROM as usual? What error does the phone give? And why does wiping breaks partition table, when all it does is *independently* formatting all partitions?

Sent from Lenovo Erazer Z500 @ Android-x86 4.3

I don't have all the answers to that. Wiping data in custom recovery should not be an issue because TWRP & CWM are both designed to keep /sdcard intact and erase the rest, which means it's just deleting files not formatting the whole partition. What I'm saying has to do with when you're in *fastboot* and you either factory reset, reflash userdata.img or wipe userdata.img, or unlock the bootloader.

On my GNex in this situation, circa 1.5 years ago, TWRP gave an error in which it thought the data partition was encrypted. CWM did not give an error but any files I attempted to write did not actually stick. One boot into a working ROM fixed it.

I have also observed that after a fastboot wipe, it starts booting into the ROM, possibly displays the Android "unpacking" screen, and then resets to the Google splash screen one more time, and then the second boot is the successful one. I have no idea if it has to do with permissions, formatting, or whatever else, I just know that it happens.

THis is my issue now. I was able to get the GNex wugfresh toolkit

I was able to push the original 4.4.2 ROM that I wanted over to the device. But It keeps saying failed at the install point.

Good thing I came back to read this post. Thanks. Ill try to flash by fastboot

I keep hitting these damn road blocks. Im sure I have many people calling and texting me.

Your 4.4.2 ROM install most likely failed due to outdated TWRP. You must install twrp 2.6.3.2 via fastboot first, then you should be able to install and get going.
Let me know if you need links to anything

---------- Post added at 05:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:10 AM ----------

Also, next time don't "wipe/format data" in twrp. Do factory reset. (Unless they changed the damn name again on us lol)