[Q] MotoACTV and Android Wear?

Search This thread

mrmabs

Jun 1, 2008
So, as I have eluded to in the tittle, could Android Wear run on a MotoACTV, theoretically?

For those who don't know, the background of the MotoACTV is that it runs GingerBread 2.3.4, has Bluetooth LE, WiFi, 256MB RAM, etc... (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motoactv for more info).

From my admittedly superficial look into Android Wear, I am assuming that the only hurdle here would be getting 4.4.2 or above running on the hardware?

Reactions: hackerse7en

hackerse7en

Jan 8, 2011
Porto
im really excited about it hope motoactv receive a port of this os, altough i think it will not happen, :(
it will run on a 3.4 kernel http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=51260100&postcount=1
no chances for our small beast :(
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
on the other hand in the post i mencioned it says "<d:gl-version>2.0</d:gl-version>" if it is what i this it is (http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/graphics/opengl.html) maybe android 2.2 is the minimum version API level 8.
fingers crossed :D

Last edited:
X

x102x96x

So, as I have eluded to in the tittle, could Android Wear run on a MotoACTV, theoretically?

For those who don't know, the background of the MotoACTV is that it runs GingerBread 2.3.4, has Bluetooth LE, WiFi, 256MB RAM, etc... (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motoactv for more info).

From my admittedly superficial look into Android Wear, I am assuming that the only hurdle here would be getting 4.4.2 or above running on the hardware?

there s nothing yet about minimum requirement of AndroidWear it s on KK 4.4.2 and min API is 18 (JB 4.3)
there should be hack method for motoACTV to install custom rom on it
then need compatible ported AndroidWear
and ...
i think it s possible
:good:

wollac11

Aug 25, 2010
Cambridge
www.littlegreendude.com
This would definitely be possible but whether anyone will invest the required time to do it or not is another question. The hardware in the MotoActv will be powerful enough to run Android Wear but without quite extensive work a lot of it wouldn't be compatible. I am aiming to bridge the gap in the meantime as I plan to work on a project to build a ROM with an Android Wear style experience (hopefully with ports of some of the actual Android Wear applications) on top the already functional Android Gingerbread base that we have.

I won't be able to start this properly for at least a month but I have ported the bootanimation from the LG G Watch system dump that was just leaked to help bring a very small part of the look and feel to the MotoACTV. See here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=53150797

Zeroskhaos

Feb 16, 2010
Dallas
I have a motoactv as well and am taking great interest in seeing android wear brought to it, even if its just for me till all options are out (moto360, asus, etc) if no one wants to try to make it I guess I can try but I have no previous rom making skills, if anyone is interested in helping me figure this out please do so we can get this going!

byt3b0mb

Oct 8, 2009
Seattle
i too will participate in testing - this would be awesome! the motoactv should have been what all these smart watches build off of. i wish the new smartwatches had standalone GPS.

m33rkat

Jan 20, 2012
Harrisburg
I have a Motoactv and would be willing to participate also, but why would you really want to use it with the Motoactv?

I was pretty sure Wear was pretty highly dependent on the microphone for Google now. In theory you could use a Bluetooth headset, but Google now was meant to use your phone with Bluetooth, and obviously you can only have one device connected at a time.

On a philosophical level, what I like about my Motoactv compared to modern smartwatches with Wear is that I'm free to use whatever app on the Play Store I feel like using no matter how sadistic, for better or for worse :eek:

mjdyson

Aug 11, 2009
Last edited:

wollac11

Aug 25, 2010
Cambridge
www.littlegreendude.com
Not completely tangential, but has anyone read Ron Amadeo's review of the Moto360 on Ars?

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/09/moto-360-review-beautiful-outside-ugly-inside/

TL;DR - It's got an old processor that drags it down. (1GHz TI OMAP 3) and drains the battery quickly.

Doesn't the MotoActv have the same class of chip? http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2170917

Could it be the same one, just overclocked? Would this help in getting Wear onto the Actv?

Yes it does seem that the internals are based on the MotoACTV (likely to bring the cost down) which sort of makes sense because they did say at one point that it was their reference platform for the 360 during development. They both use OMAP 3 chips, clocked at 600MHz in the MotoACTV and 1GHz in the Moto 360. This would indeed potentially make it easier to port Android Wear to the MotoACTV.

The thing is though, as @m33rkat pointed out above, the MotoACV lacks a microphone and so it would not actually necessarily be all that great with Android Wear as it is quite largely driven by voice commands. It would also mean loosing access to many of the sports features we have now such as the Motoactv.com sync, activity profiles and use of ANT+ sensors.

I think the MotoACTV might be better used as it is with Motorola's fitness software. I also wish Moto had used a newer chip in the 360 such as the Snapdragon 400 because the OMAP 3 is pretty damn old!

Last edited:

biggiestuff

Nov 12, 2009
Google Pixel 4 XL
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Yes it does seem that the internals are based on the MotoACTV (likely to bring the cost down) which sort of makes sense because they did say at one point that it was their reference platform for the 360 during development. They both use OMAP 3 chips, clocked at 600MHz in the MotoACTV and 1GHz in the Moto 360. This would indeed potentially make it easier to port Android Wear to the MotoACTV.

The thing is though, as @m33rkat pointed out above, the MotoACV lacks a microphone and so it would not actually necessarily be all that great with Android Wear as it is quite largely driven by voice commands. It would also mean loosing access to many of the sports features we have now such as the Motoactv.com sync, activity profiles and use of ANT+ sensors.

I think the MotoACTV might be better used as it is with Motorola's fitness software. I also wish Moto had used a newer chip in the 360 such as the Snapdragon 400 because the OMAP 3 is pretty damn old!

I think this may be more interesting once the next version of android wear is released. The GPS and offline music playback support would be better suited for the MOTOACTV since it contains GPS and the storage capacity to allow offline music. Can you overclock the processor in the motoactv? I wouldn't be surprised if android wear can run at a slower clock speed. I could imagine using the headphones (wired/bluetooth) to control the OS while running. Sucks there'd be no vibrations.

wollac11

Aug 25, 2010
Cambridge
www.littlegreendude.com
I think this may be more interesting once the next version of android wear is released. The GPS and offline music playback support would be better suited for the MOTOACTV since it contains GPS and the storage capacity to allow offline music. Can you overclock the processor in the motoactv? I wouldn't be surprised if android wear can run at a slower clock speed. I could imagine using the headphones (wired/bluetooth) to control the OS while running. Sucks there'd be no vibrations.

Yeah maybe. I guess it will depend on your individual use case for the device. As for overclocking the MotoACTV, yes that is possible.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm trying to port it. I hope to have some thing running in a few days.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using XDA Free mobile app