[Q] Unable to install CWM or TWRP on Note 3 after 4.4.2 update

Search This thread

vadimo

Aug 28, 2011
London
so.... yeah i just updated my bootloader to 4.4.2 and this drove me literally insane. ive been working on it for 4 hours now. i encountered so many problems with installing the bootloader. exact same problem as SID8907. i gotta tell you tho.... you worked some magic my friend. i tried almost everything. then i came across your link. i was like why not? so i flashed the img in odin..... anddddd :drumroll pleaseeeeee:: IT WORKED. ahhh....... so much frustration and the problem is solved!!! thank you so much JP.26 :good::D:laugh:

i am too came up on this thread and have to say that this post saved me: http://xdaforums.com/show...&postcount=398

i have tried so many different recover versions i just couldn't get it to work, it was frustrating

Reactions: GetMeMyDinner

mdanjum30

Nov 14, 2013
chennai
same problem

So I've been running a rooted Note 3 for a while. When the Note 3 Kitkat update came out, I updated it via Odin as OTA update was not available since I was rooted.

All the posts I read had mentioned that updating to 4.4.2 from 4.3 would erase all my data but after updating via odin all my data was in place. I had only lost root which I rooted again though CF Auto Root.

The problem now is that when I try to install CWM (via Odin) or TWRP (via Goo or Odin), it goes through the installation but then the phone goes into a boot loop of sorts..It's NOT the normal boot loop which gets stuck on the Samsung logo.

What happens is that the phone vibrates twice (with a 1 sec interval in between), then the Samsung Note 3 N-9005 screen appears with "Booting Recovery..." on the top left and within a sec it goes blank and then back to 2 vibrates and the screen come on to show Samsung Note 3 N-9005.

The only way I found to fix this was a battery pull and then turning on the device holding the power, home and down vol key to boot into recovery and then flashing CF Auto Root again.

I don't know why am I not able to install any of these recoveries. I've made sure I try to install the latest versions of them which are Kitkat compatible.

Anyone else with this problem or a solution?

Can a Cache and data wipe fix this? But the problem again being I won't be able to backup my ROM since i can't get these recoveries to install!

Iam experiencing the same problem, please tag me if you get response

CHRIST STARZ

Jun 24, 2014
You have to forgive me because I clicked the link but I have no idea what to do

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

CHRIST STARZ

Jun 24, 2014
I don't know what name my phone is under on the twrp list

RICHIECATS

Nov 11, 2013
Same issue with SM-N900T !!

Hi guys,

Just thought I would drop word that I'm having almost the exact same issue with my T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (SM-N900T)... I get the boot loop if I choose to re-boot into recovery via the CWM app itself. The CF-auto rooting again via ODEN fixes the boot loop for that but further more... I should mention I have successfully flashed the CWM install for this device and it completes successful, but I still if manually turning power off and then holding down the keys to go into recovery... end up in the stock recovery. Hence my big problem is I'm trying to install my AROMA installer for Jedi Elite 2 and it fails in stock recovery cause you for one can't disable security verification blah blah. So that's my similar issue. I'm on 4.4.2 like many of us and clearly am rooted ok. Tried fixing permissions, etc. Even tried installing the "Safestrap" apk but it says successful but actually fails to install. I was going that route as a work around to just get my AROMA file launched so I can install my dam ROM.

Any thoughts very welcomed...

So I've been running a rooted Note 3 for a while. When the Note 3 Kitkat update came out, I updated it via Odin as OTA update was not available since I was rooted.

All the posts I read had mentioned that updating to 4.4.2 from 4.3 would erase all my data but after updating via odin all my data was in place. I had only lost root which I rooted again though CF Auto Root.

The problem now is that when I try to install CWM (via Odin) or TWRP (via Goo or Odin), it goes through the installation but then the phone goes into a boot loop of sorts..It's NOT the normal boot loop which gets stuck on the Samsung logo.

What happens is that the phone vibrates twice (with a 1 sec interval in between), then the Samsung Note 3 N-9005 screen appears with "Booting Recovery..." on the top left and within a sec it goes blank and then back to 2 vibrates and the screen come on to show Samsung Note 3 N-9005.

The only way I found to fix this was a battery pull and then turning on the device holding the power, home and down vol key to boot into recovery and then flashing CF Auto Root again.

I don't know why am I not able to install any of these recoveries. I've made sure I try to install the latest versions of them which are Kitkat compatible.

Can a Cache and data wipe fix this? But the problem again being I won't be able to backup my ROM since i can't get these recoveries to install!

Same issue here, installs successfully using Odin but every time reboots to stock

Hi,
Facing the same issue on rooted 4.4.2 ROM.I have tried the KK version of CWM, Philz and TWRP, each installs fine via Odin, but every time I restart the phone into recovery it ends up showing the Stock recovery.

Still trying to figure out how to get this to work to play around with some custom ROMs

The issue that i understood from the other post was:
If you're using a stock rom and flash a custom recovery, when you reboot the custom recovery is over written with the stock recovery again.

This is what was happening with me ..and apparently there's a script to bypass this. .but using the toolkit made it much easier

GetMeMyDinner

Dec 28, 2014

Joff84

Jan 26, 2015
Same trouble with Samsung n7100 Kitkat 4.4.2

Anyone who got successful rooting without using a pc? If so need help with steps on how to do it. Just got stucked with Stock Recovery

Reactions: Rosli59564

choyeechox

Jan 27, 2015
hi guys, i am not sure why its such a big problem?

use odin3 v3.07 and download either jelly bean 4.3 or KK 4.4 recovery from here http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=50333147&postcount=398&nocache=1&z=7983377780765295

I done this before on my first note 3 and now doing it again today on my new Note 3, it works

i am not very familiar with this. i have successfully rooted my note 3 lte.
and then i downloaded different kinds of custom recovery and flash it using Oden v3.07, it said it was successful. marked as Passed.
after reboot, i tried going to the recovery, but im still redirected to the oden mode.

am i missing some steps or something? :confused:

choyeechox

Jan 27, 2015
pls help

i cannot successfully install custom recovery. my status after "RES OK!!" is "Removed!!"
unlike everyone else getting "Completed" and then "Added!!"

Pls let me know what i am missing. :crying:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The Auto Reboot for some reason is faded out. Tried different versions of Odin and also tried to open it with the phone connected/disconnected.

Clear out all your ODIN caches etc, delete all files and keep 1.85.

Flash this (only working recovery on 4.4.2) via PDA in ODIN, If it doesn't reboot auto after saying PASS or RESET.. just turn phone off, reboot into recovery and it'll be fine.

EDIT: Just re-read, Re flash your Stock 4.4.2 (Use XEO not the leaked one!) and then start again
    Possible solution

The way I can suggest is to create a little update.zip file with little updater-script to remove install-recovery.sh file from device (just one line needed).

Ok, I found a zip which I am attaching below. You(or anyone) may review the script before flashing.

Place this on your external (or internal) sdcard.
    In ODIN don't check Auto reboot
    Flash Recovery. Remove phone when it says PASS.
    Remove battery. Start in Recovery mode by pressing buttons.
    You should now be in new Recovery.
    Flash that zip file.
    Reboot.
    You should be good.

so.... yeah i just updated my bootloader to 4.4.2 and this drove me literally insane. ive been working on it for 4 hours now. i encountered so many problems with installing the bootloader. exact same problem as SID8907. i gotta tell you tho.... you worked some magic my friend. i tried almost everything. then i came across your link. i was like why not? so i flashed the img in odin..... anddddd :drumroll pleaseeeeee:: IT WORKED. ahhh....... so much frustration and the problem is solved!!! thank you so much JP.26 :good::D:laugh:

i am too came up on this thread and have to say that this post saved me: http://xdaforums.com/show...&postcount=398

i have tried so many different recover versions i just couldn't get it to work, it was frustrating
    Has anyone found a solution yet??

have you not been reading the thread? this link solved my issue http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=50333147&postcount=398