HOW-TO: Get official Google ION Android 1.6 into HTC Magic 32B

Search This thread

iPhone iWing

Mar 3, 2008
I tried entering the same apn as my friends magic ( vodafone uk also) but I still cannot browse the web. :(

Once you change your apn you press menu and save?? what i did one time because my apn wasnt working still is made two of them. i pretty much confused the phone and made it choose and then it gave in and chose the apn and used it 100%. sometimes software is a moron and you need to mess with it lol.

htcmagic

Jul 8, 2009
I have a question, if someone could help me out, is how to put my apn settings into this rom. I am very confused. My isp gave the values on paper because they say they dont have experience for my phone. Shall i put the settings here?

Thanks.

dferreira

Jan 26, 2007
Oulu
www.denzilferreira.com
I have a question, if someone could help me out, is how to put my apn settings into this rom. I am very confused. My isp gave the values on paper because they say they dont have experience for my phone. Shall i put the settings here?

Thanks.
What is your carrier? Please add here the settings they told you, maybe someone has the same carrier and can guide you through it :)

htcmagic

Jul 8, 2009
ok here are the settings they gave me on paper:

WAP service
========
APN:cytamobile
username:user
password:pass
protocol:wap or http
use proxy:yes
ip address:212.31.96.161
port:9201 for wap or 8080 for http
home page:wap.cybee.com.cy

MMS service
========
"on top of the WAP configurations you must input also the address of the multimedia center which is:" http://mmsc.cyta.com.cy

Any idea where they go?

dferreira

Jan 26, 2007
Oulu
www.denzilferreira.com
Cytamobile-Vodafone (Cyprus)

GPRS/EDGE settings

APN address: internet
Username: leave empty
Password: leave empty
MMS settings

MMSC: http://mmsc.cyta.com.cy
Proxy: 212.31.96.161:8080
APN: cytamobile
Username: user
Password: pass

To enter these, go to Settings>Wireless Controls>Mobile Networks>Access Point Names, then hit Menu and press New APN and add the information you have :)

htcmagic

Jul 8, 2009
Thanks very much dferreira. Do i need to add 2 APNs?
I dont see APN address?
I see
Name
<Not set>
APN
<Not set>
Proxy
<Not set>
Port
<Not set>
Username
<Not set>
Password
<Not set>
Server
<Not set>
MMSC
<Not set>
MMS proxy
<Not set>
MMS port
<Not set>
MCC
MNC
APN type
<Not set>

maxon25

Jun 25, 2009
Hi, if i was you i would restore your phone back to normal using your nandroid backup that you should have done? then go into your apn settings and write down your apn settings, then flash back to this rom putting in the correct apn settings and you will be good to go.

Also will my nandroid backup restore my spl back to normal vodafone from the 2004 spl from the link on first page?

Last edited:

dferreira

Jan 26, 2007
Oulu
www.denzilferreira.com
Hi, if i was you i would restore your phone back to normal using your nandroid backup that you should have done? then go into your apn settings and write down your apn settings, then flash back to this rom putting in the correct apn settings and you will be good to go.

Also will my nandroid backup restore my spl back to normal vodafone from the 2004 spl from the link on first page?
No, the original SPL is gone forever. But don't worry, OTA works with those SPL's.

dferreira

Jan 26, 2007
Oulu
www.denzilferreira.com
Do i need to add 2 apns?
like one for
==================
Cytamobile-Vodafone (Cyprus)

GPRS/EDGE settings

APN address: internet
Username: leave empty
Password: leave empty

and one for
===================
MMS settings

MMSC: http://mmsc.cyta.com.cy
Proxy: 212.31.96.161:8080
APN: cytamobile
Username: user
Password: pass

Thanks
Yes, I think you do :) Try it and see if it works.

JackMagic

Nov 4, 2009
Hello all.

Just a post to say that (with a bit of help from dferreira, granted) I have successfully flashed my vodafone uk 1.6 Magic to the Google ION ROM :)

I've also changed the boot screen, and gained root access (tested by using a screenshot app on my phone)!

The ROM is noticeably faster, both at bootup and when using :)

9i62qh.jpg

DOHCtor

Apr 10, 2009
Southern California
Hello all.

Just a post to say that (with a bit of help from dferreira, granted) I have successfully flashed my vodafone uk 1.6 Magic to the Google ION ROM :)

I've also changed the boot screen, and gained root access (tested by using a screenshot app on my phone)!

The ROM is noticeably faster, both at bootup and when using :)

9i62qh.jpg

Congrats man! Since you gained root access, you should download the latest setcpu app and clock it to 245/528mhz. It will be much faster than it already is.

JackMagic

Nov 4, 2009
Cheers, will get that setup now.

Sort of on-topic: I tried to install the HTC IME keyboard as personally I don't like the stock one (too small) and would rather use this over BetterKeyboard - I was under the impression it worked on rooted phones? Maybe if I adb push it straight to my data folder or w/e it is, rather than use the Package Installer?

Edit: Used cyanogen's port of the HTC_IME keyboard to Donut and its working fine now, I didn't realise a ported version was needed. He has a thread on it here :) Also the calibration works fine once you install the clicker.apk!

Last edited:

BrunoRafael

Nov 8, 2009
Hi dferreira

I have just got a vodafone uk htc magic with google (android 1.6)
SAPPHIRE PVT 32B SHIP S-ON G
HBOOT-1.33.0004 (SAPP10000)
CPLD-10
RADIO-2.22.19.26I
I would like to have a stock google rom rather than vodafones and would just like verification as don't want to brick a brand new phone and am new to android and not flashed before.
So i have downloaded android-sdk, recovery-RA-magic-v1.2.3G.img (renamed just recovery.img), update.SPL_Crios_1.33.2004.zip and signed-google_ion-ota-14721.zip (renamed update.zip) put in sdk/tools/ and plan to undergo following steps:
1. start phone in fastboot, boot recovery.img then partition SD card
2. do a nandroid backup of original setup (or does this require engineering spl first?)
3. with copies of recovery, spl and update on root of SD card, fastboot, boot recovery.img then apply the splupdate.zip, when finished press green and reboot as described on spl thread.
Now at this point will the phone start as normal with new spl on original rom or do i straight away flash ion rom update.zip?
4. repeat step 3 but apply update.zip, is a wipe required first? and again will this finish with green press then reboot?
Now i should have working google ion 1.6?
At this point to gain root again fastboot to recovery or flash it to phone and in recover do the adb shell bit to gain root access.
Hopefully this is right from what i have gathered and havent mised anything out and will have a go! Also is it a fairly safe method, as opposed erase hboot, flash hboot? and is the crios spl the best for me you think? I have a fairly good chance my phone will live?
Also i have found an original HBOOT-1.33.0004, along with nandroid backup will i be able to get back to stock then if i need to send for repairs under warranty?

Sorry for all the questions and Thanks in advance

JackMagic

Nov 4, 2009
Hey ^^ Last night I flashed my phone, same version/SPL succesfully. Wait for dferraira's reply, but here's some info regarding the procedure I went through (which should theoretically be the same for you).

1. start phone in fastboot, boot recovery.img then partition SD card

No, you don't need to partition your SD card, from what I was told.

2. do a nandroid backup of original setup (or does this require engineering spl first?)

Nandroid backups don't require the Engineering SPL, you just select the option from the recovery menu and it will put it directly on to your sd card.

3. with copies of recovery, spl and update on root of SD card, fastboot, boot recovery.img then apply the splupdate.zip, when finished press green and reboot as described on spl thread.
Now at this point will the phone start as normal with new spl on original rom or do i straight away flash ion rom update.zip?

I rebooted my phone after applying the SPL to ensure it had worked properly before applying the update.zip.

4. repeat step 3 but apply update.zip, is a wipe required first? and again will this finish with green press then reboot?
Now i should have working google ion 1.6?

I initially applied update.zip without wiping my phone, and I encountered an error in which the boot sequence kept looping around. You may not encounter this, but all I did was boot back in to recovery, wipe the phone and re-apply the update.zip. I would think wiping first is probably beneficial - after all you have your Nandroid backup.

At this point to gain root again fastboot to recovery or flash it to phone and in recover do the adb shell bit to gain root access.

Yes, once you've flashed the update.zip successfully you can obtain root. Boot into the recovery image (to allow adb root access afaik), and then use the adb shell command in your sdk\tools directory and follow the steps on the first page.

Also is it a fairly safe method, as opposed erase hboot, flash hboot? and is the crios spl the best for me you think? I have a fairly good chance my phone will live?

It's an official rom, so in that sense yes - as safe as it gets. I didn't use the crios SPL, just the stock 2004 egineering and it worked fine. Fairly good chance your phone will live :)

Also i have found an original HBOOT-1.33.0004, along with nandroid backup will i be able to get back to stock then if i need to send for repairs under warranty?

Presumably, yes. But which order you would flash them in, I do not know, as ION ROM needs the Engineering SPL to work, so you'd probably have to apply the stock ROM, then flash the SPL back.

Wait for dferreira's comments too, but hope this helps :)

BrunoRafael

Nov 8, 2009
Cheers jackmagic, feel more confident now i know i had the right idea and someone with same phone has gone through successfully, will wait and see if dferreia has anything else to add first but think i will give it a go

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi guys,

I wanted to get rid of the Vodafone crap that came with the official update to Android 1.6. So since I had an unrooted version of the ROM, I couldn't just delete the Vodafone applications. I did it the hard way, I replaced it with the official Google ION image from HTC!

How to do it? EASY!

1 - Download the "Recovery Image" from HTC: http://developer.htc.com/google-io-device.html
    2 - Copy the .zip to the root of your SDCard but first rename it to update.zip
    3 - Install Engineering SPL 2005 from here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=529019 - this will allow you flash Google ION ROM directly with Amon_RA's recovery tool, which makes your HTC Magic 32B from now on a Google ION device!
    4 - Download Amon_RA's recovery tool: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=530492
    5 - Get fastboot utility from here: http://developer.htc.com/adp.html and place it into the Android SDK/tools folder on your computer
    6 - Follow the instructions by Amon_RA's to fastboot the recovery to your device, since you now have an Engineering SPL on your device!
    7 - Apply the update.zip

That's it! It will flash the official Android 1.6 from HTC Google ION device, and what's cool is that it also supports OTA updates from HTC, which means you will probably get access to Android builds much faster that you did with the carriers and they will be striped from the crap applications they feed them with.

Questions? Shoot away :)

Edit:
    To make it more fun, I got the splash image from Google ION device that was given on the 2009 Developer Conference.

Download the attached file, put your device into fastboot and then type:
    fastboot flash splash1 /path/to/file/googleion.raw565
    fastboot reboot

where /path/to/file is the path to where the file is :)

FAQ:
    How do I gain root at this? - thanks to DOHCtor and caoboth
    Put your phone back into fastboot mode (back and power button)
    then fastboot amon_ra's fantastic recovery img.

e.g fastboot boot recovery.img

then run from your pc the following: (assuming of course you have the andriod sdk installed)

adb shell
    mount /system
    cd /system/bin
    cat sh > su
    chmod 4755 su
    reboot

And now your sorted with a nice rooted phone :)
    How do I get Loccy's browser on this? - thanks to JackMagic
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=4911928&postcount=106

WARNING for people with 32B with perfect SPL's:
    Applying the goldcard trick will only allow you to boot with the 32A version of the Amon_RA's recovery image, and before update the Google ION image you first need to revert back your phone into 32B (explained in "[How-To] Root and un-root the T-Mobile myTouch 3G").
    Otherwise you will have a brick.