ext4, ntfs,exfat,fat32 for microsd card what should i use ?

Search This thread

deutsh

Aug 19, 2012
Hi my wonder is "can i use ext4 format for my SanDisk 64GB sdxc class 10 ?"to make it as a storage memory for miusc , images and videos. Or should i use the ntfs or exfat or fat32.
With thanks

Sent from my GT-N7100 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

rkk253755

Jan 11, 2014
hi

Hi my wonder is "can i use ext4 format for my SanDisk 64GB sdxc class 10 ?"to make it as a storage memory for miusc , images and videos. Or should i use the ntfs or exfat or fat32.
With thanks

Hi,

Fat32 is universal partition for your music, ,video etc....
ext3 ext4 are used for android/unix/linux application storage...
be careful while partitioning you SD card...
read it before executing partiotion....
""forums.androidcentral.com/general-help-how/85809-tutorial-everything-you-wanted-know-about-app2sd-ext3-ext4-partitions.html[/url]"

-rkk

Reactions: asifcheer

deutsh

Aug 19, 2012
Hi,

""forums.androidcentral.com/general-help-how/85809-tutorial-everything-you-wanted-know-about-app2sd-ext3-ext4-partitions.html[/url]"

-rkk

Thanks for replying.
I don't want to partition the memory card i just want to format it as the best storage file system .

deutsh

Aug 19, 2012
Good... But the question is : the ext4 working as fat32 as storage for files

SaschaBr

Jan 27, 2014
I think the best way is to try it, but I have read somewhere that ext should go, depending upon the android-version.

Accesing files via USB (in the phone) shouldn't be the Problem, but accesing via cardreader directly on windows did not (or rather not without special ext-drivers for windows).

deutsh

Aug 19, 2012
well... The other question is :what is the best for non-damage of microsd ?
I mean the card will minimize the ability to get a damage. What the file system type is best.?
Whith thanks

juyer

Jan 24, 2014
hmmm, file system organization cannot damage your card, it is only a logic 1 or 0 on the electronics cells.
Maybe there is a difference between frequency of read/write operation. The more the bigger chance to damage a card... of course after a long, looooong time. I would recommend using ext3 as it's more scalable and stable than FAT32.

FAT32: File Allocation Table, 32-bit
Introduced: August 1996 (Windows 95 OSR2)
Directory contents: Table
File allocation: Linked list
Bad blocks: Cluster tagging
Maximum number of files: 268,435,437
Maximum file size: 4GB
Filenames: 8.3 or 255 characters, ASCII except for "'*/:<>?\|
Attributes: Read-only, hidden, system. volume label, subdir, archive

Ext3: Third extended file system
Introduced: November 2001 (Linux 2.4.15)
Directory contents: Table, tree
File allocation: Bitmap, table
Bad blocks: Table
Maximum number of files: number of bytes in volume/2^13.
Maximum file size: 16GB (1KB block) to 2TB (4KB block)
Filenames: 255 bytes long, all bytes except \0 and /.
Attributes: no access time logging, append-only, synchronous write, no-dump, h-tree, immutable, journal, secure-delete, top, allow-undelete.
Journal: metadata and file contents

ljwobker

Jan 24, 2014
There is no "best" filesystem, they are all optimized, to some extent, for different things.

Without lots more info, fat32 is relatively efficient and has far and away the best compatibility. For most users the compatibility makes it the winner.

deutsh

Aug 19, 2012
Hi... I try the ntfs but.... But its incompatible with android.... So sad

SaschaBr

Jan 27, 2014
NTFS is an windows-filesystem, and is only write- and readable on windows. Yes. linux can read it, but needs secial drivers for that and isn't realy fast. It is the worst filesystem for android or linux.

Use fat32 and ready!
Its fast, its compatible, and can be used in/ with most devices. The only disadvantage for you will be the filesize-maximum (4 GB).

deutsh

Aug 19, 2012
NTFS is an windows-filesystem, and is only write- and readable on windows. Yes. linux can read it, but needs secial drivers for that and isn't realy fast. It is the worst filesystem for android or linux.

Use fat32 and ready!
Its fast, its compatible, and can be used in/ with most devices. The only disadvantage for you will be the filesize-maximum (4 GB).

O.K. I'll take your advice but I have a little question "how could I protect the micro sdcard from damage ? I suffered from a damge of micro sdcard several times.

SaschaBr

Jan 27, 2014
Until now I never had an damaged sd-card. And if it will happen, I have an backup of my important data. So I simply will buy a new one and play back this backup. Nothing is forever. :D

EDIT:
Ok, this 64 GB-SD-Cards are not realy cheap, but under normal conditions it won't faile for a long time, whatever filesystem you will use.

Last edited:

shailesh406

Sep 3, 2015
mumbai
Hi,

-rkk

hey buddy,

can u tell me i going to partition of memory card for music nd video i'll use FAT32 but second partition what should i do..ext3 or ext4 i ma using motorola g3 stock android is supported ext4 partition on android 5.1.1 or not cz plz tell me .

thanks in advance

bertschwert

Aug 25, 2015
OnePlus 5T
Sony Xperia 10
hey buddy,

can u tell me i going to partition of memory card for music nd video i'll use FAT32 but second partition what should i do..ext3 or ext4 i ma using motorola g3 stock android is supported ext4 partition on android 5.1.1 or not cz plz tell me .

thanks in advance

Android supports Ext4 so I'd rather use Ext4 than Ext3 ;)

Reactions: shailesh406

ivrahim

Apr 1, 2016
sharing and expecting to learn :)

Hi all,

I am wondering about the partitioning of my new external memory card manufactured by Samsung Electronics.
The very same manufacturer initially develop F2FS, the Flash Friendly File System for the Linux Kernel.

F2FS was expected to be the fastest F.S. for solid-state disks, eMMCs, and SD cards.
Initial tests confirmed it. Nevertheless posterior tests reveal that ext4 beats F2FS (...).

My guessing is that not enough research/test have been done in the matter.

Im going to set the following layout in order to test the speed for each partition:
1._ 34,7G EXT4 -> pictures, movies, backups, etc... AND/OR moved: APPs by hard/sym links; DATA by folder mount
2._ 65,0G FAT32 -> pictures, movies, backups, etc...
3._ 19,5G F2FS -> moved APPs by hard/sym links; moved DATA by folder mount

Depending on the results (specific for my phone and configuration) included in the reports from Antutu, A1SDBenmarch (possibly others too), I will most likely either:
1._ format whole microSD as F2FS -> roms,apps,data,pics,movies,etc; access using the phone (adb, usb, wifi)
2._ format whole microSD as EXT4 -> roms,apps,data,pics,movies,etc; access using any type of linux and many others
3._ format 32G as F2FS -> apps; format 64G as EXT4 -> roms,data,backups,movies; format 32G as FAT32 (any file smaller than 4G I want to be directly accessed from any device through any card reader using any OS)*
* I won't use fat32 as ext4 read/writes speeds are bit faster and i dont need to access the sd using any device

My goal is to format the external microSD card as F2FS and internal storage. F2FS is not only supposed to be better in performance but also it is supposed to expand it's lifespam

Note: Regarding partitioning the microSD in the computer, only linux will allow resizing F2FS filesystems; windows software doesnt recognize it yet, therefore it treats the partition as unformatted, neveertheless it's possible to move it.
Note2: there are programs that allow the user to mount linux partitions and read/write data on them.

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 SM-N9005, rooted, resurrection remix 5.6 (current,next5.8)
Card: Samsung EVO Plus 128Gb microSDXC UHS-I Class 10 U3 Card
ROM: Resurrection Remix v5.6 (Marshmallow)**
S.Soft: Apps2SDpro: Linked -hardlinks/symlinks- apps to F2FS partition on ext.SD. App data (TuneIn Radio recordings) moved -foldermount- to F2FS partition on ext.SD.

** I am currently designing the multiROM layout which will probably include the current ROM, plus Resurrection Remix v5.8 (Nougat) kali and some others

cheers

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    hmmm, file system organization cannot damage your card, it is only a logic 1 or 0 on the electronics cells.
    Maybe there is a difference between frequency of read/write operation. The more the bigger chance to damage a card... of course after a long, looooong time. I would recommend using ext3 as it's more scalable and stable than FAT32.

FAT32: File Allocation Table, 32-bit
    Introduced: August 1996 (Windows 95 OSR2)
    Directory contents: Table
    File allocation: Linked list
    Bad blocks: Cluster tagging
    Maximum number of files: 268,435,437
    Maximum file size: 4GB
    Filenames: 8.3 or 255 characters, ASCII except for "'*/:<>?\|
    Attributes: Read-only, hidden, system. volume label, subdir, archive

Ext3: Third extended file system
    Introduced: November 2001 (Linux 2.4.15)
    Directory contents: Table, tree
    File allocation: Bitmap, table
    Bad blocks: Table
    Maximum number of files: number of bytes in volume/2^13.
    Maximum file size: 16GB (1KB block) to 2TB (4KB block)
    Filenames: 255 bytes long, all bytes except \0 and /.
    Attributes: no access time logging, append-only, synchronous write, no-dump, h-tree, immutable, journal, secure-delete, top, allow-undelete.
    Journal: metadata and file contents
    sharing and expecting to learn :)

Hi all,

I am wondering about the partitioning of my new external memory card manufactured by Samsung Electronics.
    The very same manufacturer initially develop F2FS, the Flash Friendly File System for the Linux Kernel.

F2FS was expected to be the fastest F.S. for solid-state disks, eMMCs, and SD cards.
    Initial tests confirmed it. Nevertheless posterior tests reveal that ext4 beats F2FS (...).

My guessing is that not enough research/test have been done in the matter.

Im going to set the following layout in order to test the speed for each partition:
    1._ 34,7G EXT4 -> pictures, movies, backups, etc... AND/OR moved: APPs by hard/sym links; DATA by folder mount
    2._ 65,0G FAT32 -> pictures, movies, backups, etc...
    3._ 19,5G F2FS -> moved APPs by hard/sym links; moved DATA by folder mount

Depending on the results (specific for my phone and configuration) included in the reports from Antutu, A1SDBenmarch (possibly others too), I will most likely either:
    1._ format whole microSD as F2FS -> roms,apps,data,pics,movies,etc; access using the phone (adb, usb, wifi)
    2._ format whole microSD as EXT4 -> roms,apps,data,pics,movies,etc; access using any type of linux and many others
    3._ format 32G as F2FS -> apps; format 64G as EXT4 -> roms,data,backups,movies; format 32G as FAT32 (any file smaller than 4G I want to be directly accessed from any device through any card reader using any OS)*
    * I won't use fat32 as ext4 read/writes speeds are bit faster and i dont need to access the sd using any device

My goal is to format the external microSD card as F2FS and internal storage. F2FS is not only supposed to be better in performance but also it is supposed to expand it's lifespam

Note: Regarding partitioning the microSD in the computer, only linux will allow resizing F2FS filesystems; windows software doesnt recognize it yet, therefore it treats the partition as unformatted, neveertheless it's possible to move it.
    Note2: there are programs that allow the user to mount linux partitions and read/write data on them.

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 SM-N9005, rooted, resurrection remix 5.6 (current,next5.8)
    Card: Samsung EVO Plus 128Gb microSDXC UHS-I Class 10 U3 Card
    ROM: Resurrection Remix v5.6 (Marshmallow)**
    S.Soft: Apps2SDpro: Linked -hardlinks/symlinks- apps to F2FS partition on ext.SD. App data (TuneIn Radio recordings) moved -foldermount- to F2FS partition on ext.SD.

** I am currently designing the multiROM layout which will probably include the current ROM, plus Resurrection Remix v5.8 (Nougat) kali and some others

cheers
    hi

With thanks

Hi,

-rkk
    hey buddy,

thanks in advance

Android supports Ext4 so I'd rather use Ext4 than Ext3 ;)
    you can format it by Fat32
    :D