Battery charge problem...stops at 96%

Search This thread

bhanuteja200bc

Feb 1, 2013
my galaxy tab pro 8.4 stops charging at 96%....
i always charge it from 10 - 15% to 100% by switching of the device...from past week it always stops at 96 and when i switch it on it goes to 100 in a cou[le of minutes...what i s to be done ..i calibrated also..no change..

Sicron

Jan 16, 2011
Yep, you have custom rom? that's usually what happens.

I have the slim rom and mine is like that, I just unplug and then plug back in does the trick

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

Custom rom has nothing to do with it. I am running the stock version, and my battery won't charge up more than 64% right now. It seems the problem starts with 96/94% but gets progressively worse. Sometimes it will fix it self for a short time when I replug, but right now even that doesn't work for me.

I checked last night, and I believe the kernel just thinks the battery is nearing it's 100% state. This was a screenshot I took that shows that the battery isn't charging at full power. The closer I got to 64%, the slower the charge went:

i.imgur.com/P2i0R9s.png (Copy and paste, I am not allowed to post outside links yet..)

Last edited:

crpalmer

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 25, 2011
Custom rom has nothing to do with it. I am running the stock version, and my battery won't charge up more than 64% right now. It seems the problem starts with 96/94% but gets progressively worse. Sometimes it will fix it self for a short time when I replug, but right now even that doesn't work for me.

I checked last night, and I believe the kernel just thinks the battery is nearing it's 100% state. This was a screenshot I took that shows that the battery isn't charging at full power. The closer I got to 64%, the slower the charge went:

i.imgur.com/P2i0R9s.png (Copy and paste, I am not allowed to post outside links yet..)

Have you tried just using the tablet when it was "fully" charged to 64%? I see three possibilities and I would be curious to know was the case:

1) Your battery is only charging to 64% and when you start using it, it will decrease at a normal rate and you'll get 1/3 less time out of the charge.
2) Your battery is showing 64% for all charges >= 64%. So, it could be at 100% charged and will stay at 64% until you've used up 36% of your battery.
3) It is scaling wrong so that 64% == 100% and the battery percentage will decrease as you use the tablet, but it will decrease 1/3 slower than it used to (aka the time from 100% to 0% when you first bought it would be the same as your time now from 64% to 0%).

Any idea which of those three is actually happening?

Sicron

Jan 16, 2011
Have you tried just using the tablet when it was "fully" charged to 64%? I see three possibilities and I would be curious to know was the case:

1) Your battery is only charging to 64% and when you start using it, it will decrease at a normal rate and you'll get 1/3 less time out of the charge.
2) Your battery is showing 64% for all charges >= 64%. So, it could be at 100% charged and will stay at 64% until you've used up 36% of your battery.
3) It is scaling wrong so that 64% == 100% and the battery percentage will decrease as you use the tablet, but it will decrease 1/3 slower than it used to (aka the time from 100% to 0% when you first bought it would be the same as your time now from 64% to 0%).

Any idea which of those three is actually happening?

Definitely the first one. Right now I am at about 35% and have 2.5-3 hours screen time since the 64% (can't check for a definitive screentime as the indicator doesn't reset unless you charge to 100%). So that would translate to the about 7.5-8 hours I get when I do have a full charge.

I also checked once before when I had this issue by letting my battery completely discharge and then start up my tablet again and I had 1% left, so it was pretty much completely drained. I'll probably charge it again tonight and I expect I will have an even lower full battery percentage.

Sicron

Jan 16, 2011
Try using a different 2amp charger and/or different cable

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Also tried that already. Still only charges up to a lower percentage. Only thing I haven't tried is unplugging the entire battery.

It charged up to 100% for some reason last night. The only thing that is really weird that it charged 1% every five minutes from like 85-95% and then suddenly in the last 5 minutes it instantly charged from 95 to 100%. The whole battery thing is just really weird.