Samsung Gravity Smart SGH-T589

Search This thread

Arhtard

Aug 7, 2011
Salt Lake City
hello
i just bought this phone a couple hours ago
tell me did i mess up? i can't find any roms, kernels, or recoveries for this phone.
i've spent the last couple hours searching for any info and haven't found even a little.
i have it rooted with superoneclick, i can't adb push any files though, like the UOT kitchen files.
any help would be greatly appreciated

Last edited:

anthonyburnsred

Aug 2, 2010
El Paso
This phone! :(

Its not bad a phone but its just sluggish and yeah i have been trying to find ROMS and BUILDS for this phone. Someone make something please: :)

anthonyburnsred

Aug 2, 2010
El Paso
Awe man well at least im hoping there is someone who has this device and is willing to make a rom!
Not a bad phone but it needs to be cleaned up badly. :p
Over clocking it does help it a lot. :)

lightsycle

Nov 23, 2009
Louisville
I have just rooted my gravity smart, but still can't uninstall telenav and others...did I do something wrong? I watched the video, and followed the steps, it was VERY easy, install, click root, pretty much. Still need to get rid of all the junk apps...

jon_htc

Dec 28, 2008
Hi Guys i just wanted to be part of this thread for updates. My lil sister has one of these and I wanted to get more info. Ill be on the look out as well and keep you guys posted.

Reactions: Arhtard

Arhtard

Aug 7, 2011
Salt Lake City
I have just rooted my gravity smart, but still can't uninstall telenav and others...did I do something wrong? I watched the video, and followed the steps, it was VERY easy, install, click root, pretty much. Still need to get rid of all the junk apps...

did it install superuser and busybox?
does titanium backup ask for superuser permissions?

careful what u uninstall
i removed a few apps that i shouldnt have

jasherpowers

Dec 27, 2010
Newport, RI
I would love some development on this phone.. hopefully someone cares enough. :) I've rooted with Super One Click, but now trying to overclock.. any thoughts? Can't use SetCPU or others..

Arhtard

Aug 7, 2011
Salt Lake City
I would love some development on this phone.. hopefully someone cares enough. :) I've rooted with Super One Click, but now trying to overclock.. any thoughts? Can't use SetCPU or others..

until we get a different kernel developed, we can't overclock the cpu.
the stock kernel doesn't have support for overclocking.
at least from what i'm understanding anyway.
we can raise the floor but not the roof.

Reactions: Superangery

lightsycle

Nov 23, 2009
Louisville
yes the superuser and other box thing got installed, and I saw the super user, but when I run it there is no apps in it...do you use the other one to uninstall things?

Yes BusyBox both got installed.

Last edited:

Arhtard

Aug 7, 2011
Salt Lake City
yes the superuser and other box thing got installed, and I saw the super user, but when I run it there is no apps in it...do you use the other one to uninstall things?

Yes BusyBox both got installed.

from what i'm interpreting...
superuser is the administrator or babysitter
busybox is the interpreter or the middle man

to unistall programs, such as system apps, which i wouldnt do until we have a ROM or RECOVERY available, i use titanium backup.
note that when u back up a system app, it only backs up the information file, not the app itself...
so if u uninstall it and want it back, youre screwed basically.. probably not completely, but pretty much. i learned this the hard way.

now, if you backup a user app, it saves the app itself.. unlike system apps.

just use titanium backup and "FREEZE" the system apps you don't want, for now.
please don't uninstall them.
infact, if anyone could get me a copy of the 3d gallery and music app that comes with this phone, i'd be much appreciated.

i hope this helps you.

i've asked around for some help porting a recovery, no replies yet

Last edited:
Reactions: anthonyburnsred

DragonSeeker

Aug 3, 2011
EveryWhere
Freeze First..

I used Titanium backup pro to freeze unwanted files first and let that be for a day or so after a couple of reboots. Then I uninstalled what was not needed. Baby steps here is my best recommendation since the first time I did this I bricked my phone. I also had an email into Kousch but to no avail.

Keep Moving Forward,
DragonSeeeker:cool:

anthonyburnsred

Aug 2, 2010
El Paso
unrooting?

I'm kind of a noob at this but can I unroot this device so I won't void the warranty?
Also. Anyone have all the apks of all the apps this phone came with?
I would greatly appreciate it!

Last edited:

Arhtard

Aug 7, 2011
Salt Lake City
i wish i had dumped the system folder before i started uninstalling apps myself...

maybe someone who hasnt uninstalled anything yet would post a link to a dump of the /system/app/ folder with the apks for us...

if someone was willing to do this for us, i'd recommend a factory reset prior to dumping the files

comoc85

Nov 9, 2010
Hey guys! I got this phone as a warranty replacement for my Cliq (WORST PHONE EVER). I was excited at first cause it worked much faster and came w/ 2.2. But now it seems like this is the develpment communities step child! Where are all the devs???? Anyway, I'm a totall beginner when it comes to Android development. I have not yet rooted, and would be happy to provide you guys with anything if it means bringing some life to the development of this phone. Let me know what I can do!

P.s. I would be happy to provide a system dump, just need instruction on how to do so.

Arhtard

Aug 7, 2011
Salt Lake City
hey comoc85

welcome to the stepchild thread, lol
easy to root this phone with superoneclick
here is a link to the Samsung Kies Program that has the usb drivers bundled for our phone for rooting, etc.

http://org.downloadcenter.samsung.com/downloadfile/ContentsFile.aspx?CDSite=US&CttFileID=4132035&CDCt[/url] tType=SW&ModelType=C&ModelName=SGH-T589HBBTMB&VPath=SW/201106/20110625042859732/TMO_T589_Kies_20.exe

here is a link for a youtube video for rooting our phone as well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMg5LfPW5m4&feature=player_embedded

are you familiar with using adb commands?
if so, easy to grab all the system apps for us or yourself for later
just by entering "adb pull /system/app/" and it will dump your system apps
probably zip them for uploading, be sure to factory reset prior to dumping so that your information isnt included.

remember, don't unistall any system apps once rooted till we get a developer to make a rom for us. some people have bricked this phone doing that. also note this is a "touchwiz" phone and do not remove and apps named "TW....." or it will cause errors..
titanium backup does not backup system apps, i found out after i unistalled them... it acts like it does but only backs up the data, not the app itself...
it would be wise, even for yourself, to dump your /system/app/ folder to your computer incase you need to replace a app you borked somehow... our firmware isnt available on samusngs website yet, or samfirmware.com
i wish i had known to dump my /system/app/ folder prior to uninstalling a few things... but my phone still works... anyway, found some build.prop edits that work on our phone for a lil tweaking..

hopefully someone will pick up development on this phone..
i dont understand how to cook a rom or i'd attempt it, and without a recovery to make a backup, i surely don't want to attempt it..

have a great day

Last edited:
Reactions: erktheerk

Arhtard

Aug 7, 2011
Salt Lake City
oh to dump your system/apps/ folder you have to be rooted and have sdk + java installed on your computer..
if you're into changing roms etc, you'll need to learn this stuff anyway.

here's a link to a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1SOSXwkc_8

here's a couple more useful links: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=502010

http://www.addictivetips.com/mobile/what-is-adb-and-how-to-install-it-android/

ive done factory reset several times while being rooted and not lost root or had any problems... this is due to having the stock recovery...

dont ever do a factory reset while using a custom recovery... brick brick brick..

like i said though, factory reset while under stock recovery while rooted is fine.

Reactions: erktheerk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    sweet.

myself and others have bricked this phone uninstalling stuff..
    thank gawd for exchanges.. my best advice would be to use titanium backup pro and freeze apps u dont want, for now.. you may regret it soon if u start uninstalling things.. remember to look at the slide out keyboard and its shortcut keys and also the settings page at what categories are there, if u uninstall some things listed under settings and open settings, you will get force closes.. sorry i'm tweaking on uninstalling stuff, after bricking my first one, and reading about people bricking theirs, i'm just wanting to help others understand the importance...

if u have a sd card laying around >2gb i'd suggest partitioning it to fat32 and then ext2 and using the link2sd app... 218 apps installed and i still show 86mb available internally.. this will solve any "space" problems you have, till we get data2ext support on a custom rom. the reason i say ext2 is, the stock rom has built in support for ext2 and nothing more.. sure u can try ext4, but u may run into problems later, i dont know.

adb remount command doesnt work with this phone/kernel.. u can change the settings in "default.prop" but they won't stick when u reboot.. i'm understanding that its due to the programming in the kernel rewriting the prop file on boot..
    adb push doesnt work either, only pull... i use file expert and "mount" as writeable then move files around, etc.
    the boot animation can be changed also, its not as simple as dropping a bootanimation.zip in the media folder like other roms.. if u want directions i can post them. start up and shutdown sounds can be renamed so they won't operate, without any problems... if u use uot kitchen to cook some theme stuff, u gotta upload framework-res.apk and twframework-res.apk.. u can't flash the cooked file, u have to pull those 2 apks and move them via an explorer, be sure to set permissions once u paste them.. be very careful doing that, i didnt use twframework-res.apk the first time and bricked my 2nd phone, lol.

anyway, i've messed with alot so far and kinda got a feel for the limits..
    just holler if u need help or pointers...

late

you probably know how to do this already, but if not, i'll be happy to help.
    well, i've not tried to unroot a phone so my advice may not be worth taking, but...

if you used SuperOneClick to root the phone, you could try the "UNROOT" option it has...
    do some searching on that first, as i have no experience unrooting a phone...

as far as re-installing the apps you removed...
    download this system app dump folder -----> link and files are courtesy of comoc85 http://www.mediafire.com/?2ddmz0srr3mgc1k
    put the missing apps and their companion odex files back in the /system/app/ directory on your phone...
    you will have to set permissions again for each file after you move it... reboot

do this before you unroot though, naturally.

yesterday i screwed up my phone trying to theme some apks and decided just to delete my /system/app/ directory and start over...
    *** i do not advise deleting any directory ***
    i used all of the files that comoc85 supplied for us and can confirm that the files are perfectly working.
    i am very thankful to him for supplying us with that /system/app/ dump as it saved my phone once so far.
    i'm working 18 hours a day for a while so my free time is really limited. nothing personal to anyone here. i just am really tired and sleep when i can.
    i do apologize.

i did what i could and made the rom - i'm sorry i dont know enough to make a recovery or kernel. i thought once the rom was made someone would pick up on the kernel and recovery.

i'm not sure i understand rom hacking. do you mean port a rom from another phone to this one? basically all thats left to do on this rom is the reboot/download/recovery options in the power off menu. this is only froyo - i dont know if there is much else that can be done.

obviously the hard part, getting a rom started, has been accomplished, since no one else had done it prior to this one and the phone was released 5 months ago.

i can go 66 hours before charging battery - not sure what is causing your issue. if you want to try - go into the /system/etc/init.d/ folder and delete the battery tweak. i'm betting its an app hogging up your battery. are you using a task killer or app manager? those were originally designed for eclair and done away when froyo was released, if i remember right.

the rom is pretty stripped as it is. if we can get a kernel/boot.img going we can add darktremors app2sd mod - which is amazing. new kernel = overclocking? really the benefit of the custom recovery at this point would be to make a nandroid backup - so with what we have now - i think the kernel should be priority - but thats just my opinion.

not really any sense in customizing the rom any more without focusing on a kernel - just my opinion. i mean, we have a rom now, lets finish the "beginning"? with a kernel.

but, i'm not your daddy, lol, do what you want. i'll rejoin the development when i can. at least 2 weeks out anyway.

as far as giving credits... LOL. who was it that created the rom to begin with? i mean - in comments i see "as far as credits.... arhtard i guess...." this wouldnt be here if i didnt take the time to brick 3 phones creating this "rom". i saw no one else posting any attempts or progress.

and i dont really understand removing things that are linked to a hard key on the slide out keyboard. just to save space. make a kernel and add darktremors app2sd.

releasing "roms" to save space seems like a waste of time to me when other things are more important. the htc ime keyboard mod i can understand, but the rest i do not. link2sd is in place with directions how to use it. space shouldnt be an issue at this point, but whatever makes you happy.

i didnt at the v6 supercharger script because we still have the stock kernel only. i only had time to make the rom itself. took me about a month or so and 3 devices to do that alone.

there are other scripts and mods i have available, but the original goal was to create a rom. now thats been done, i am working double hours. i will add tweaks asap.

i see posts about more development.. the rom is made, someone else take the initiative and do the kernel or recovery. or should i quit my 2nd job and make it? ringtones/apps should be last priority, boot screens, we need to have a finished project. just my opinion too.

as far as how a rom is put together. its usually done with the "firmware" and then its cooked with the kitchen - etc.
    no firmware was available for this and the file structure was different than most samsungs so cdesai helped us determine which was what and i created a rom dump and went from there.

the conversations you're having about creating a rom we had 2 months ago. now its done. i'm still not sure whats trying to be accomplished there. u want a different bootscreen? change the bootanimation.zip to your choice. i wouldnt remove apps that are linked to actual hard buttons though. unless you want a few buttons that do nothing.

Now maybe a nice custom rom? - good luck on that - it took this long to get a stock froyo deodexed rom.

dont treat me like i'm an asshat. 5 months with nothing for this phone. i created the rom. do what you want with it, i dont care. just saying, remember where it came from and who made it possible. dont guess about it, know that if it weren't for me and cdesai, you wouldnt have this "rom". obviously, because its the first and the only one at this time. i think for me personally, i would have a little more respect for someone that took the rom and gave proper credit to where it came from when modding it. not post it without saying anything, like you did all the work. you wouldnt have anything to play with if i didnt brick 3 phones. i really have a hard time understanding how u can say or call it your rom "ams or whatever" when all thats being done is removing a couple apps and adding a couple apps. anyone and their brother can do those things. its not that big of a deal to me - i just dont understand it. maybe do something worth while and port cyanogen like you referenced earlier or create a kernel or create a recovery. you keep removing stuff and the phone is gonna be junk with a bunch of blank non responsive buttons. but, again, do what makes you happy. admit it though, its nice having something that works to work from? THANKS.
    Bootanimation change

i used the following methods to successfully change the bootanimation without any repercussions... as always though, i am not responsible if you brick your phone, these instructions worked flawlessly for me:

1. Using any root explorer app, rename the "samsungani" file to located in /system/bin
    to "samsungani.bak" (so u can restore it if u want)
    (some phones have samsungloop and not samsungani, rename samsungloop in this case)

2. Rename the file 'bootanimation' (also located in /system/bin) to 'samsungani'
    (or samsungloop - whichever your phone has)

3. Now put the bootanimation.zip of your choice in /system/media folder

In some cases the "samsungani" will not be available so replace with "samsungloop".
    Reboot and watch screen, kernel boot logo will still be present, but the tmobile one wont.
    i wish i had dumped the system folder before i started uninstalling apps myself...

maybe someone who hasnt uninstalled anything yet would post a link to a dump of the /system/app/ folder with the apks for us...

if someone was willing to do this for us, i'd recommend a factory reset prior to dumping the files