[Q] Glide freezing up

Search This thread

miji2

Oct 12, 2010
Toronto
Xiaomi Mi 8
Lenovo Z5 Pro GT
Hello,

I've been experiencing annoying freezing up issues with my second-hand Glide. In all cases, the freeze happens with the screen off and a race condition ensues discharging the battery (even when plugged into power). Searching around, I've seen a good number of references to this problem:

androidforums.com/samsung-captivate-glide/462710-freeze-ups-anyone.html
gsmarena.com/samsung_i927_captivate_glide-reviews-4071.php
comparecellular.com/cell-phones/galaxy-s-glide

but I have not been able to find any resolution. Sometimes I feel like this: xkcd.com/979 . In essence I'm trying to determine if this is a hardware fault or something which can be fixed by software. Seeing minimal Glide development does not help since there are very limited options for ROMs. Since this device did get a nod for ICS, there's still hope in that, but until then have to suffer.

Anyone seen a resolution other than exchange? Warranty?

gabby131

Sep 20, 2010
Winnipeg, MB Canada
Unfortunately, this is quite common but there are few users that did not had any freezes since day one of their Glides.

One issue is, you have your Google calendar sync and you have "Auto Sync" active. This leads for the Calendar to Sync improperly during sleep mode resulting in a sync loop, which makes the device unresponsive thus, wont wake up upon pressing power/lock key. Solution, uncheck the "Auto Sync" function in Settings, Manually sync everything, or uncheck the "Sync Calendar on your Google account.

The other thing which is very common, is leaving wifi on while charging. This results on the same issue above but the reason is not clear. I experience this one in 1 out of 5 chances, so I turn wifi off or set the wifi sleep policy to "when screen turns off" in Settings. Happens on stock and custom ROM(s), except when Cranium Kernel is flashed.

In conclusion, I never thought that these are hardware issues ATM, for my previous Samsung devices also have these, but is eliminated by updating firmware, or flashing a custom ROM.

Last edited:

miji2

Oct 12, 2010
Toronto
Xiaomi Mi 8
Lenovo Z5 Pro GT
Thank you for the suggestions. I will verify wifi sleep policy as well as disable calendar sync to see if it helps. And now that there is some activity regarding ICS for this unit, maybe I'll get to test a new ROM to see if it helps.
thanks again

wLnston

Apr 15, 2012
Neither unsynching google+calendars, or the WiFi+charging solutions worked for me.

Is there any hope for those of us with no immediate remedy?
Has Samsung even acknowledged that this is an issue?
When do you predict us getting an ICS update that will solve the issue?
Its a damn shame since I'm ****in loving this phone so far, yet i can't even use it when I want to sometimes.

gabby131

Sep 20, 2010
Winnipeg, MB Canada
Well yeah....I can confirm. I reflashed my device and restore my apps...did not do any mods and whatnot. Used it for a day and charged it overnight, no internet. And bam! Sleep Death. Like i said, this is common, and does not think that this is a hardware issue for a lot is experiencing it. So for now, dont left your glide charging overnight, or if you will, download a night clock, or use the stock desk clock. You will have a clock beside you and will keep your device awake all night.

wLnston

Apr 15, 2012
Interesting, I don't have that "sleep death" issue.

Do you have any idea when we'll receive the ICS update?

gabby131

Sep 20, 2010
Winnipeg, MB Canada
Interesting, I don't have that "sleep death" issue.

Do you have any idea when we'll receive the ICS update?

The issue you addressed is so called "sleep death." A few weeks past, ATT announced that 10 of their devices will get ICS in less than a month (including the Glide). No word from Rogers when will they update their version of the device.

dudejb

Feb 16, 2007
Montreal
Unfortunately AT&T did not state when they would push the update as well they only named the devices that will get it.

wLnston

Apr 15, 2012
Has Samsung acknowledged the Sleep Death issue, and whether they will resolve it in the next OTA update?

gabby131

Sep 20, 2010
Winnipeg, MB Canada
Has Samsung acknowledged the Sleep Death issue, and whether they will resolve it in the next OTA update?

I believe Samsung is already knowledgeable about the issue....unfortunately, it is not that easy to make a software update just to solve 1 problem (on the contrary to the Captivate SGH-I897 with GPS issues on Eclair, ATT immediately released a FW update within less than 2 weeks to fix it). And, even though I said the Sleep Death is quite common, not all of the users have this, so again, maybe unless a considerable large number of users (or all users) experience this, they might look into it. So I also believe that Samsung (along with ATT/Rogers) will correct the issue on the next update. When? Heaven knows.

If you are experiencing the sleep death more than twice a day, without doing anything, or if you believe non of your installed programs is at fault, and you are still in your return period, I suggest you exchange your device. You might get a unit that is unaffected. My Sleep Death only occurs when I left the phone charging for extended periods of time, like charging overnight which I always do. As I've mentioned, I keep the device awake like installing a night clock application or activating the stock desk clock app.

Last edited:

wLnston

Apr 15, 2012
Well I'm going to try turning on the night clock app this night and see if that stops the sleep death.

And I bought the phone second hand off craigslist. Even if its within the 90-day period, I doubt I'll get any warranty/return ability as I am not the original customer.

gabby131

Sep 20, 2010
Winnipeg, MB Canada
interesting problem, will this should hold me back from buying it when my friends will be in the states?

I can't say.....but in my case, the issue is not really that serious in my part. As I said, when I left my device plugged in extended periods of time, then the Sleep Death might trigger....but I never experience any Sleep Deaths while the phone is unplugged and using it throughout the day (on the contrary of the OP's post). In fact, my last sleep death was 10 days previous....it's been reliable and does the job.

Last edited:

dudejb

Feb 16, 2007
Montreal
I can't say.....but in my case, the issue is not really that serious in my part. As I said, when I left my device plugged in extended periods of time, then the Sleep Death might trigger....but I never experience any Sleep Deaths while the phone is unplugged and using it throughout the day. In fact, my last sleep death was 10 days previous....it's been reliable and does the job.

I got the sleep death once. It just happened but I have not had it again. I must admit it is scary but I heard you can flash another rom as that is supposed to fix it. I do have the stock rom from Rogers and have not rooted yet.

gabby131

Sep 20, 2010
Winnipeg, MB Canada
I got the sleep death once. It just happened but I have not had it again. I must admit it is scary but I heard you can flash another rom as that is supposed to fix it. I do have the stock rom from Rogers and have not rooted yet.

Well that is a good sign....when did you experience? how? please keep your observations. for me, I can replicate the issue by plugging/charging it....I do also have the stock Rogers ROM and I am rooted......my only tip is, don't leave your Glide charging in extended periods (more than 3-4 hours or so).

dudejb

Feb 16, 2007
Montreal
Well that is a good sign....when did you experience? how? please keep your observations. for me, I can replicate the issue by plugging/charging it....I do also have the stock Rogers ROM and I am rooted......my only tip is, don't leave your Glide charging in extended periods (more than 3-4 hours or so).

No the charging for extended periods does not matter. Every night I set my phone to charge at around Midnight and unplug it at around 6:30 AM. I also have Wifi on. I heard it was WIFI and charging that did it. Luckily I am not experiencing it. Gabby did you flash and install the Clock Work Mod? I am thinking about it.

Reactions: gabby131

gabby131

Sep 20, 2010
Winnipeg, MB Canada
No the charging for extended periods does not matter. Every night I set my phone to charge at around Midnight and unplug it at around 6:30 AM. I also have Wifi on. I heard it was WIFI and charging that did it. Luckily I am not experiencing it. Gabby did you flash and install the Clock Work Mod? I am thinking about it.

this is exactly what I am experiencing....and I can replicate this issue about 8/10 times....well this should hopefully be fixable via FW update (like my SGH-I896 from 2.1 to 2.2).

Yes I have CWMR installed and is very handy....I am now going back to flash OsiMood ROM for I think I already know what triggers the Sleep Death specially in stock ROMs....

wLnston

Apr 15, 2012
Will flashing a new ROM be an issue for me when the OTA ICS update drops?

I read that rooting your phone would be problematic when ICS comes.

If its not an issue, which ROM should I use that will get rid of the Sleep Death issue?

And suppose the ICS fixes the sleepdeath. Will I be able to unroot my phone and revert it back to stock so that I can put ICS on it?

Sorry for the long post!

dudejb

Feb 16, 2007
Montreal
Will flashing a new ROM be an issue for me when the OTA ICS update drops?

I read that rooting your phone would be problematic when ICS comes.

If its not an issue, which ROM should I use that will get rid of the Sleep Death issue?

And suppose the ICS fixes the sleepdeath. Will I be able to unroot my phone and revert it back to stock so that I can put ICS on it?

Sorry for the long post!

Some people have stated that once you install a Rooted Rom you will no longer get pushed the updated from your service provider. They stated this from Gingerbread 2.3.5 to 2.3.6

In order to go back to stock you have to somehow back up what you have before you flash anything or find it on the web. I am not sure about this but have heard of others doing this.

Your other option is use a ROM that someone cooks with ICS when it becomes available. I have heard of many people toying with getting this set up.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Unfortunately, this is quite common but there are few users that did not had any freezes since day one of their Glides.

One issue is, you have your Google calendar sync and you have "Auto Sync" active. This leads for the Calendar to Sync improperly during sleep mode resulting in a sync loop, which makes the device unresponsive thus, wont wake up upon pressing power/lock key. Solution, uncheck the "Auto Sync" function in Settings, Manually sync everything, or uncheck the "Sync Calendar on your Google account.

The other thing which is very common, is leaving wifi on while charging. This results on the same issue above but the reason is not clear. I experience this one in 1 out of 5 chances, so I turn wifi off or set the wifi sleep policy to "when screen turns off" in Settings. Happens on stock and custom ROM(s), except when Cranium Kernel is flashed.

In conclusion, I never thought that these are hardware issues ATM, for my previous Samsung devices also have these, but is eliminated by updating firmware, or flashing a custom ROM.

I also had the exact same problem. I rooted and am currently using an ICS rom called "NardROM 0.4 UCL9" in the development forum. No freezes. No sleepdeath. Beautiful.
    I actually had the same issue, Problem is concerning the screws they have holding the keyboard on. The screws get loose then make contact with the motherboard. Take it apart, tighten them up and you're good to go!