[Beginners Guide]How to root Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Search This thread

kalo0osh97

Mar 17, 2012
Google Pixel 6a
Hello XDA,
I know there are lot of guides on how to root the Galaxy Note 2,but unfortunately I have not seen a guide that is clear enough to beginners that know nothing about Android. So, after hard work I have done a guide on how to root the Samsung Galaxy note 2 and put it in your hands.

Note:I Have Also Made A Picture Full Guide So, IF This Guide Wasn't Clear For You, You Can Go HERE

Introduction:
Today, I will guide you on how you can root your Samsung Galaxy Note 2.This method is the most easiest, safest and the fastest method up to date. To start off, the method will take little time but it’s more guaranteed to work on any Galaxy Note 2.

Disclaimer:
I’m not responsible if something went wrong on your phone(Usually nothing goes wrong), you’re doing this on your own responsibility. Rooting your phone will void your warranty so don’t root your device unless you know what you are doing.To know more about rooting check What is rooting and it’s top 10 benefits.

Method: Rooting using Odin: [Recommended]
This method works for almost all Galaxy Note 2s,and it will only root and install busybox.
All credits go for Chainfire for making the CF-autoroot make a look at the Original Thread

Requirements:

1-Download these files:
1-CF-Autoroot Depending on your model number which could be found in Setting-> About Phone:
A) For N7100 Model go HERE.
B) For N7105 Model go HERE.
C) SHV-E250K Model go HERE.
D) SHV-E250L Model go HERE.
E) SHV-E250S Model go HERE.
F) SPH-L900 Model go HERE
G) SGH-I317 Model go HERE
H) SGH-I317M Model go HERE
I) SGH-T889 (T-Mobile version) Model go HERE

IF you didn't see your model number above don't try this method because it might brick your phone.

2-Odin 3.07 From HERE.
3-Samsung USB Drivers from HERE and then install them.
4-Make sure to fully backup your device.Check our post on How to Backup Every Android Mobile Phone.
5-Make sure to backup your EFS file immediately after rooting your device.

Step1:Extract the CF-Autoroot until you got a file with .tar.md5

Step2: Extract odin307.zip then run Odin3 v3.07 as administrator.

Step3:Shutdown your Note 2 completely. Then, hold down the volume down button+ the home button then press the power button for 5 seconds, after you will see a warning screen just press volume up.

Step4: Now click on “PDA” and choose the .tar.md5 file we downloaded earlier. Then connect the USB cable to your computer then to your Galaxy Note 2. Now Click on “Start”.

Step5: Once it successfully finishes you will see “Pass” in the above table of the “ID:COM”

* In Some cases Knox disabled SuperSu to work probably.So,if SuperSU wasn’t working probably for you.Download the latest version of SuperSU from the Play Store.Then on launch it will ask you to disable Knox and you should accept.Hope that solve it.

Conclusion:
That's it! Easily rooted. to unroot your device and reclaim your warranty visit How to Un-root Samsung Galaxy Note 2.

Last edited:

xmob101

Jun 8, 2009
Thank you for this. I'll attempt to root my Note 2 in a couple of weeks so this is certainly appreciated.

Is this the latest method to root? All I want to do is gain root so I can use apps like titanium backup, ad away, cerburus and maybe tasker.

Can I just gain root and use all of those while sticking to the stock rom? And also can i still get the phone repaired under warranty should it develop any faults later on?

Reactions: ramboseanjo

swiftrok

Feb 11, 2013
Edmonton
Very straight forward instructions, thanks!

One question, which method is preferred? I see Method 2 is 'Recommended' -- why is it then not Method 1?
Is there any downside to either method? From a stock rom, which would you say is the 'slickest' method?

Thanks!!

Reactions: ramboseanjo

kalo0osh97

Mar 17, 2012
Google Pixel 6a
Thank you for this. I'll attempt to root my Note 2 in a couple of weeks so this is certainly appreciated.

Is this the latest method to root? All I want to do is gain root so I can use apps like titanium backup, ad away, cerburus and maybe tasker.

Can I just gain root and use all of those while sticking to the stock rom? And also can i still get the phone repaired under warranty should it develop any faults later on?
Hopefully these methods are the latest.And yes you can root and stick to the stock rom,for that I advise you to follow method 2.And when you root your galaxy note 2 your warrenty is void so you should before going to Samsung Service Center to uninstall all root apps and unroot your device.
Very straight forward instructions, thanks!

One question, which method is preferred? I see Method 2 is 'Recommended' -- why is it then not Method 1?
Is there any downside to either method? From a stock rom, which would you say is the 'slickest' method?

Thanks!!
Method 2 of course because it will only root your phone and keep it as stock as possible (CF-Autoroot)unlike method 2 that will either flash a pre-rooted sytem image or root the phone using CWM (custom recovery)which is for some people is better since they want to root and install ClockWorkMod recovery.But,I think method 2 is recommended because it has less disadvantages and keeps your phone as stock as possible.

Last edited:

dr.ketan

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Method 2 of course because it will only root your phone by installing a kernal (CF-Autoroot)unlike method 2 will either flash a pre-rooted sytem image or root the phone using CWM (custom recovery)which is for some people is better since they want to root and install ClockWorkMod.But,I think method 2 is recommended because it has less disadvantages and keeps your phone as stock as possible.
Who said it flash kernel?

Reactions: takerhbk

dr.ketan

Don't feel bad and not to disappoint you but when you providing guide its your duty to explain detail about pros and cons of each method as well prepare yourself to provide correct and detail information as much as

Hopefully these methods are the latest.And yes you can root and stick to the stock rom,for that I advise you to follow method 2.And when you root your galaxy note 2 your warrenty is void so you should before going to Samsung Service Center to uninstall all root apps and unroot your device.
just unrooting won't revoke warranty you need to do more

Method 2 of course because it will only root your phone by installing a kernal (CF-Autoroot)
it won't flash kernel

Note:I Have Also Made A Picture Full Guide So, IF This Guide Wasn't Clear For You, You Can Go HERE

you can attach image here too, why XDA members needs to go to third party web site to see just image

Hope you can correct earliest in favor of newbies

Last edited:

dr.ketan

As I said ketan's guide is enough.
And ketan it would be not wrong to say that your guide is difficult to be found by people.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda app-developers app
yeah utkarsh but that is already sticky
but after your y'day comment i have already edited title, as well one my sticky thread in general also edited and added link to main guide to root N7100.

kalo0osh97

Mar 17, 2012
Google Pixel 6a
Don't feel bad and not to disappoint you but when you providing guide its your duty to explain detail about pros and cons of each method as well prepare yourself to provide correct and detail information as much as
/QUOTE]
You're right its my fault and I will try to try my best to make my guide perfect. and thank you for your corrections ...;);)

I think dr. Ketan's guide is more than enough for all Galaxy users !!

sent from Giant Killer Galaxy Note 2
And ketan it would be not wrong to say that your guide is difficult to be found by people.

Guys nobody is forcing you to follow my guide. And if you liked Dr.ketan's guide that is your opinion.

akdenizx

Dec 12, 2011
Klaipeda
Ynt: [Beginners Guide]How to root Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Thanks for your patience work but dr's thread is enough. It is just hard to find in some ways.

GT-N7100 cihazımdan Tapatalk 2 ile gönderildi

jayeshkavathe

May 26, 2010
About 2 week's old with my Note 2 and this is my first Android device (Sprint Sero user :) ) so I am total noob here.

I just checked my phone and it is SPH-L9000 with Android 4.1.1

Which rooting method can I use? Most likely above methods wont work for me, am I correct? Any advise here plz. Just point me to the correct thread. Thanks

kalo0osh97

Mar 17, 2012
Google Pixel 6a
About 2 week's old with my Note 2 and this is my first Android device (Sprint Sero user :) ) so I am total noob here.

I just checked my phone and it is SPH-L9000 with Android 4.1.1

Which rooting method can I use? Most likely above methods wont work for me, am I correct? Any advise here plz. Just point me to the correct thread. Thanks

Ok then I have just updated the Main post.Now you can root your phone using method 2.

meokey

Apr 30, 2005
My model number is SGH-I317M and the baseband version is I317MVLBMA3. What method should I use to root? Thanks.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello XDA,
    I know there are lot of guides on how to root the Galaxy Note 2,but unfortunately I have not seen a guide that is clear enough to beginners that know nothing about Android. So, after hard work I have done a guide on how to root the Samsung Galaxy note 2 and put it in your hands.

Introduction:
    Today, I will guide you on how you can root your Samsung Galaxy Note 2.This method is the most easiest, safest and the fastest method up to date. To start off, the method will take little time but it’s more guaranteed to work on any Galaxy Note 2.

Disclaimer:
    I’m not responsible if something went wrong on your phone(Usually nothing goes wrong), you’re doing this on your own responsibility. Rooting your phone will void your warranty so don’t root your device unless you know what you are doing.To know more about rooting check What is rooting and it’s top 10 benefits.

Method: Rooting using Odin: [Recommended]
    This method works for almost all Galaxy Note 2s,and it will only root and install busybox.
    All credits go for Chainfire for making the CF-autoroot make a look at the Original Thread

Requirements:

1-Download these files:
    1-CF-Autoroot Depending on your model number which could be found in Setting-> About Phone:
    A) For N7100 Model go HERE.
    B) For N7105 Model go HERE.
    C) SHV-E250K Model go HERE.
    D) SHV-E250L Model go HERE.
    E) SHV-E250S Model go HERE.
    F) SPH-L900 Model go HERE
    G) SGH-I317 Model go HERE
    H) SGH-I317M Model go HERE
    I) SGH-T889 (T-Mobile version) Model go HERE

IF you didn't see your model number above don't try this method because it might brick your phone.

2-Odin 3.07 From HERE.
    3-Samsung USB Drivers from HERE and then install them.
    4-Make sure to fully backup your device.Check our post on How to Backup Every Android Mobile Phone.
    5-Make sure to backup your EFS file immediately after rooting your device.

Step1:Extract the CF-Autoroot until you got a file with .tar.md5

Step2: Extract odin307.zip then run Odin3 v3.07 as administrator.

Step3:Shutdown your Note 2 completely. Then, hold down the volume down button+ the home button then press the power button for 5 seconds, after you will see a warning screen just press volume up.

Step4: Now click on “PDA” and choose the .tar.md5 file we downloaded earlier. Then connect the USB cable to your computer then to your Galaxy Note 2. Now Click on “Start”.

Step5: Once it successfully finishes you will see “Pass” in the above table of the “ID:COM”

* In Some cases Knox disabled SuperSu to work probably.So,if SuperSU wasn’t working probably for you.Download the latest version of SuperSU from the Play Store.Then on launch it will ask you to disable Knox and you should accept.Hope that solve it.

Conclusion:
    That's it! Easily rooted. to unroot your device and reclaim your warranty visit How to Un-root Samsung Galaxy Note 2.
    Bump.
    I think ketan's guide is very good enough. It's just a bit difficult to find.

Well maybe for you but trust me a lot of people find ketan's guide is hard....am talking about the beginners that doesn't know what CWM is..!!
    Am I right?
    Bump.
    I think ketan's guide is very good enough. It's just a bit difficult to find.

just unrooting won't revoke warranty you need to do more

Method 2 of course because it will only root your phone by installing a kernal (CF-Autoroot)
    it won't flash kernel

you can attach image here too, why XDA members needs to go to third party web site to see just image

Hope you can correct earliest in favor of newbies