[APP][2.2+] Telegram, the secure chat client.

Search This thread

Zenety

Mar 17, 2013
t_logo.png

Taking back our right to privacy

https://telegram.org/
Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.telegram.messenger
iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/en/app/telegram-messenger/id686449807?mt=8
Windows Phone: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/apps/telegram-messenger/9wzdncrdzhs0

Updates:

• v. 3.2.4
    Bug fixes
  • v. 3.2.3
    - Android 6.0 support
    - Now on Tap
    - Direct Share
    - Fingerprint support for Passcodes (Android 6.0 only)
  • v. 3.2.0
    - Introducing Channels – a great new way to broadcast your messages to unlimited audiences (replaces old Broadcasts).
    Read more: https://telegram.org/blog/channels

Telegram is a messaging app with a focus on speed and security. It’s super-fast, simple, secure and free.
Telegram seamlessly syncs across all of your devices and can be used on desktops, tablets and phones alike. You can send an unlimited amount of messages, photos, videos and files of any type (.doc, .zip, .pdf, etc.). Telegram groups have up to 200 people and you can send broadcasts to up to 100 contacts at a time. Be sure to check our website for a list of Telegram apps for all platforms.

We built Telegram to make messaging speedy and safe again, without the usual caveats.

Why Switch to Telegram?

FAST: Telegram is the fastest messaging app on the market because it uses a distributed infrastructure with data centers positioned around the globe to connect users to the closest possible server.

SECURE: We made it our mission to provide the best security among mass messengers. Telegram heavily encrypts all your data with time-tested algorithms.

CLOUD STORAGE: Telegram seamlessly syncs across all your devices, so you can always securely access your data. Your message history is stored for free in the Telegram cloud. Never lose your data again!

GROUP CHAT & SHARING: With Telegram, you can form large group chats of up to 200 members, send broadcasts to up to 100 contacts at a time, quickly share large videos, documents (.doc, .ppt, .zip, etc.), and send an unlimited amount of photos to your friends.

RELIABLE: Built to deliver your messages in the minimum bytes possible, Telegram is the most reliable messaging system ever made. It works even on the weakest mobile connections.

100% FREE & NO ADS: Telegram is free and will always be free. We are not going to sell ads or introduce subscription fees.

PRIVACY: We take your privacy seriously and will never give third parties access to your data.

For those interested in maximum privacy, Telegram offers Secret Chats. Secret Chat messages can be programmed to self-destruct automatically from both participating devices. This way you can send all types of disappearing content — messages, photos, videos and even files. Secret Chats use end-to-end encryption to ensure that a message can only be read by its intended recipient.

SUPPORT: For real-time support, please go to Settings in Telegram and select “Ask a Question” to send a message directly to our support volunteers. You can also email us at support@telegram.org.

This application is one of the best encrypted chat applications out right now. Secret messaging and auto self destruct are amazing features.
If you don't like Facebook knowing everything about you through Whatsapp this is the thing to switch to. It feels super slick and fast. It has better options then any other messaging app has at the moment and it's growing bigger and bigger. Hope the community can give the attention this app deserves and makes it the new messaging app on Android/iOS/WP and PC.

THIS APP IS NOT MINE. I just want to give it attention since more people should use this amazing application.

Really good explanation from: Ba7rani123

Many people are ranting that its the same as whatsapp so whats the use ? or Its not really secure because it uses your phone number

To know if an app is secure or not we have to look at 4 things:
  1. Where is the company based ?
  2. Who made it ?
  3. Are the protocols secure ?
  4. Privacy Policy
  1. It is as Russian company with servers in British Ivory Islands(which keeps it away from the russian gov and the NSA)
  2. It was founded by the brothers Nikolai and Pavel Durov who are the founders of VK and are known to support wikileaks and other "pro-privacy" organisations
  3. It uses their own protocol "MTProto". The company said it would give 200,000 bitcoins to anyone who can find a bug in their protocol. 3 Russion analysts found a few issues and they were given 100,000 and the issues were fixed as soon as possible. Other companies like whatsapp dont care because for many years it has been sending our texts without any encryption and now it uses a very weak type of encryption which can be easily broken by the NSA.
  4. In their Privacy Policy they strictly show that they will NOT share any data with third parties.

But... Why is it better than Whats app ?

• All Chats are encrypted. It uses its own encryption(MTProto) which was made to have a balance between speed and security.
- In normal chats it uses Client/Server and Server/Client encryption(which is considered secure based on many security experts who have analyzed the app), here your chats can be accessed on other devices(by signing in ofcourse) through the cloud

- In "Secret Chats" the encryption is Client/Client meaning even the builders of this app cannot see your conversations. Here you cannot access them using the could. That's why secret chat isn't used as default
  • It is Open-source
  • It allows you to send files up to 1GB in size
  • Allows you to send documents, zip or rar files
  • It has a cloud feature meaning I can access my chats from my computer and other devices, some may see this as insecure.

Cons :

• It uses phone numbers(actually its not a big issue since your phone number is already all over the net !!)
  • Its exactly like whats app ? well its more of a Pro than a con because anyone can easily change to this with the above advantages

Conclusion :

Nothing is 100% secure but it is definitely more secure than any other app here. Also, it will remain free according to their FAQ because their goal is PRIVACY. Also, their may be an option to remove the "Last seen" in the future. Their FAQ answers many questions if you have any head over their.

FAQ:
https://telegram.org/faq

Source:
Arabic: https://cyberkov.com/?p=1354

you can use Google translate to read it :D

Last edited:

ed10vi

Nov 14, 2012
Gijón
I love it, I wish it becomes the new standard, but I see a big problem:
I'm from Spain, and now there is a huge hype with this app, but I think this hype will finish before the appearance of apps for Symbian, S40, BlackBerry and all those legacy OS, and people will leave it, because whatsapp is in more devices.

Does someone knows about any app in development for Symbian or S40?

kical

Mar 12, 2013

Ey I start using it a week ago and its insanely awesome!!! Same UI as whatsapp but a big problem is the day to day use of the app for example right now theres not much community I have got like 10 telegram friends out of 100~ that uses whats app.
Another thing they dont got is the verb conjugation we use for example

" I'll send you a whatsapp " > that stands for Ill send a text message by whatsapp. It became as a native verb.
" Ill send you a telegram " > Right now it doesnt make to my mind what do that means.

In Spanish we like to use a lot
" Te mando un whatsapp " " Hablame por Whatsapp " " Tienes Whatsapp " and the word Telegram doesnt is very friendly as the word "whatsapp"
" Te mando un telegram " "Hablemos por Telegram ".

So I really like the app and the Windows Client is just very nice and good to have

telegram.png

Let's wait and hope people like it.

domenukk

Jan 11, 2010
Is it end to end encrypted? Then it would be a great alternative.
What's their business-model, though? Free and no Ads seems like it won't be around for long...

ovyxy

Dec 15, 2013
I like ...
Telegram is new, I hope not to be forgotten:laugh:

Last edited:

James Randi

Feb 2, 2014
Netherlands
ah ok. so I'm not gonna use it. My telephone number is privacy thing

I care a big deal about privacy and don't even use a Google Account. But I think there are a lot of other things to worry about first before worrying about your telephone number. If you give your number to anyone who is using a phone or an app that reads his/her contact list and does whatever with it, your phone number is not a privacy thing anymore. ;)

(Correct me if I'm wrong)

Last edited:
Reactions: Kalaidos

lozohcum

Jan 14, 2013
Internety
I care a big deal about privacy and don't even use a Google Account. But I think there are a lot of other things to worry about first before worrying about your telephone number. If you give your number to anyone who is using a phone or an app that reads his/her contact list and does whatever with it, your phone number is not a privacy thing anymore. ;)

(Correct me if I'm wrong)

yea but I still don't trust app like this one. It's sad because I very wanted to use it instead of fb messager (which consumes lots of ram in my device). And "Fast for facebook" is not good for me.

ed10vi

Nov 14, 2012
Gijón
Is it end to end encrypted? Then it would be a great alternative.
What's their business-model, though? Free and no Ads seems like it won't be around for long...

Only the secret chat is end to end encrypted, a normal chat is phone-server server-phone, so the conversations can be synced between more devices

It's not a business, it's open source, they didn't make it to earn money

James Randi

Feb 2, 2014
Netherlands
My notifications of Telegram don't seem to work properly. It seems that I only receive messages when I actually open the app.
Notifications are all on. Phone is used in wifi only atm, no SIM.
Anyone any ideas?

domenukk

Jan 11, 2010
Only the secret chat is end to end encrypted, a normal chat is phone-server server-phone, so the conversations can be synced between more devices
So the normal chat is not more secure than whatsapp.
Good to know there is an option for save chats, though.

It's not a business, it's open source, they didn't make it to earn money
Server Storage and Traffic don't fall from the sky. Open source is nice and everything, but somebody always has to pay something.

Anyway, the App looks very polished.

ed10vi

Nov 14, 2012
Gijón
Last edited:

ed10vi

Nov 14, 2012
Gijón
i'm not a security expert but according to moxie marlinspike, a developer of renowned secure text messaging app "text secure", this app's security is questionable. he actually called it snake-oil!

It's not the most secure system, but I think it is enough. They tryed to find a balance between security and speed

As he says, I peffer the Text Secure protocol, but its unusefull for me, I don't know one single person who uses it, and I don't like the apps

Last edited:

throwme

Feb 16, 2014
Questionable

I've been using this app for a while now and trying to get in touch with the devs regarding some basic privacy concerns. Essentially - all our data is stored on their servers (unless in the case of "Secret Chats" - which is not the default / passive option). So what happens if you OR the person you're chatting to gets a new number, loses their existing phone, or just deletes Telegram (as you would WhatsApp)? It seems all our data, chatlogs and files (pictures, videos, media, etc) stays on Telegram's servers indefinitely.

Given that this app is so focused on privacy and security, this seems to be a questionmark.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    t_logo.png

Taking back our right to privacy

https://telegram.org/
    Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.telegram.messenger
    iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/en/app/telegram-messenger/id686449807?mt=8
    Windows Phone: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/apps/telegram-messenger/9wzdncrdzhs0

Updates:

• v. 3.2.4
      Bug fixes
    • v. 3.2.3
      - Android 6.0 support
      - Now on Tap
      - Direct Share
      - Fingerprint support for Passcodes (Android 6.0 only)
    • v. 3.2.0
      - Introducing Channels – a great new way to broadcast your messages to unlimited audiences (replaces old Broadcasts).
      Read more: https://telegram.org/blog/channels

Telegram is a messaging app with a focus on speed and security. It’s super-fast, simple, secure and free.
    Telegram seamlessly syncs across all of your devices and can be used on desktops, tablets and phones alike. You can send an unlimited amount of messages, photos, videos and files of any type (.doc, .zip, .pdf, etc.). Telegram groups have up to 200 people and you can send broadcasts to up to 100 contacts at a time. Be sure to check our website for a list of Telegram apps for all platforms.

We built Telegram to make messaging speedy and safe again, without the usual caveats.

Why Switch to Telegram?

FAST: Telegram is the fastest messaging app on the market because it uses a distributed infrastructure with data centers positioned around the globe to connect users to the closest possible server.

SECURE: We made it our mission to provide the best security among mass messengers. Telegram heavily encrypts all your data with time-tested algorithms.

CLOUD STORAGE: Telegram seamlessly syncs across all your devices, so you can always securely access your data. Your message history is stored for free in the Telegram cloud. Never lose your data again!

GROUP CHAT & SHARING: With Telegram, you can form large group chats of up to 200 members, send broadcasts to up to 100 contacts at a time, quickly share large videos, documents (.doc, .ppt, .zip, etc.), and send an unlimited amount of photos to your friends.

RELIABLE: Built to deliver your messages in the minimum bytes possible, Telegram is the most reliable messaging system ever made. It works even on the weakest mobile connections.

100% FREE & NO ADS: Telegram is free and will always be free. We are not going to sell ads or introduce subscription fees.

PRIVACY: We take your privacy seriously and will never give third parties access to your data.

For those interested in maximum privacy, Telegram offers Secret Chats. Secret Chat messages can be programmed to self-destruct automatically from both participating devices. This way you can send all types of disappearing content — messages, photos, videos and even files. Secret Chats use end-to-end encryption to ensure that a message can only be read by its intended recipient.

SUPPORT: For real-time support, please go to Settings in Telegram and select “Ask a Question” to send a message directly to our support volunteers. You can also email us at support@telegram.org.

This application is one of the best encrypted chat applications out right now. Secret messaging and auto self destruct are amazing features.
    If you don't like Facebook knowing everything about you through Whatsapp this is the thing to switch to. It feels super slick and fast. It has better options then any other messaging app has at the moment and it's growing bigger and bigger. Hope the community can give the attention this app deserves and makes it the new messaging app on Android/iOS/WP and PC.

THIS APP IS NOT MINE. I just want to give it attention since more people should use this amazing application.

Really good explanation from: Ba7rani123

Many people are ranting that its the same as whatsapp so whats the use ? or Its not really secure because it uses your phone number

To know if an app is secure or not we have to look at 4 things:
    1. Where is the company based ?
    2. Who made it ?
    3. Are the protocols secure ?
    4. Privacy Policy
    1. It is as Russian company with servers in British Ivory Islands(which keeps it away from the russian gov and the NSA)
    2. It was founded by the brothers Nikolai and Pavel Durov who are the founders of VK and are known to support wikileaks and other "pro-privacy" organisations
    3. It uses their own protocol "MTProto". The company said it would give 200,000 bitcoins to anyone who can find a bug in their protocol. 3 Russion analysts found a few issues and they were given 100,000 and the issues were fixed as soon as possible. Other companies like whatsapp dont care because for many years it has been sending our texts without any encryption and now it uses a very weak type of encryption which can be easily broken by the NSA.
    4. In their Privacy Policy they strictly show that they will NOT share any data with third parties.

But... Why is it better than Whats app ?

• All Chats are encrypted. It uses its own encryption(MTProto) which was made to have a balance between speed and security.
    - In normal chats it uses Client/Server and Server/Client encryption(which is considered secure based on many security experts who have analyzed the app), here your chats can be accessed on other devices(by signing in ofcourse) through the cloud

- In "Secret Chats" the encryption is Client/Client meaning even the builders of this app cannot see your conversations. Here you cannot access them using the could. That's why secret chat isn't used as default
    • It is Open-source
    • It allows you to send files up to 1GB in size
    • Allows you to send documents, zip or rar files
    • It has a cloud feature meaning I can access my chats from my computer and other devices, some may see this as insecure.

Cons :

• It uses phone numbers(actually its not a big issue since your phone number is already all over the net !!)
    • Its exactly like whats app ? well its more of a Pro than a con because anyone can easily change to this with the above advantages

Conclusion :

Nothing is 100% secure but it is definitely more secure than any other app here. Also, it will remain free according to their FAQ because their goal is PRIVACY. Also, their may be an option to remove the "Last seen" in the future. Their FAQ answers many questions if you have any head over their.

FAQ:
    https://telegram.org/faq

Source:
    Arabic: https://cyberkov.com/?p=1354

you can use Google translate to read it :D
    yea but I still don't trust app like this one. It's sad because I very wanted to use it instead of fb messager (which consumes lots of ram in my device). And "Fast for facebook" is not good for me.

If you're using Facebook Messenger privacy shouldn't be such a big concern for you, lol.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Threema is really good but its a commercial product...

Open source is better ;)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4

Telegram is not secure. I like it and use it but you should not think it is the perfect answer to safety concerns. If people change from whatsapp to telegram, that's good. If people change from whatsapp to Threema, that's perfect!
    I went in the phone's general sync settings and there it was telegram's contact sync option. I've ticked it and forced a manual sync. Thanks. Not very intuitive at all. At least they should link you to the general settings...
    However, the contact still doesn't show up in telegram. :confused:

If the contact still doesnt show, go to telegram and in settings below you ll find log out. Log out then log back in

Sent from my GT-I9300 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    Nice app but I can't figure out for the life of me how to update the contact list. I know that a contact of my general (not telegram) phonebook has recently installed telegram, but he doesn't show up in telegram's contacts. How to force telegram to rescan my phonebook to see if anyone has installed telegram?
    Thanks.

Did you enable it from settings >,sync

Settings > telegram > sync now

Sent from my GT-I9300 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app