Is it possible to completely Hard Brick the LG G2?

Search This thread

E-I-K-E

Apr 22, 2012
Schleswig
I'm just wondering if you can completely Hard Brick a LG G2 to a point, where there is no revive possible.

I can purchase a cheap LG G2 international version, but the seller says that he broke it during flashing a Kernel.

Can you for example revive a phone,that had a Kernel from completely different phone flashed?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. :)

Sent from my C6503 using Tapatalk 2

maydayind

Dec 10, 2011
If it's true he only flashed a new kernel then u can restore it. If he messed with the partitions then.... No. If he used a broken usb cable and fried it....

Well ask to try the phone before u by it. Also check if it's stolen

E-I-K-E

Apr 22, 2012
Schleswig
Alright, I gathered some more information from the seller.

He tried updating TWRP, but he followed wrong instructions from some website.

He can´t enter Recovery or Download Mode on the Phone.

The Display is active, but only Backlight.

When he connects the Phone to his Computer, it shows multiple Mass Storages, but the LG Software doesn´t recognize it.

Is this a common problem, that is easy to fix, or should I rather wait for another Deal to come up.

p.s. I asked him for a receipt, and he says that he has one.

superandroid2011

Feb 1, 2011
São Paulo

When he connects the Phone to his Computer, it shows multiple Mass Storages, but the LG Software doesn´t recognize it.

Is this a common problem, that is easy to fix, or should I rather wait for another Deal to come up.

p.s. I asked him for a receipt, and he says that he has one.

If the guy was updating through TWRP, he probably have some knowledge on the matter, and the chances that he bricked it for good is high.
When I messed up my G2 a few times, being able to enter in download mode was the hint that the phone was revivable, if him really can't enter the download mode, then it is probably a bigger problem.

But the question is, by buying this possible lemon, how much will you be saving compared to buying a brand new?

DHM078

Jun 18, 2013
If it's showing up like that, if you have a Linux machine you may be able to use dd to flash factory images to the partitions. There is a guide to it somewhere on here. But even if you were successful in flashing those, it really depends on how badly he screwed it up. In particular I really hope he didn't damage or wipe his efs. Or at least has it backed up.

Honestly, I'd point him to the right guides and have him fix it. If he screwed up his efs, or messed the partitions up, or fried something, it's dead and not coming back. If all he did was flash a kernel in twrp and it was actually from this phone and it was just a bad download or flash or something, then you'd probably be okay, but if that were the case you'd get a secure boot error and still be able to enter download mode. Personally, I would not buy a phone that won't boot, especially if the seller isn't even sure what's wrong with it.

Sent from my LG-G2 using Tapatalk

dr87

Inactive Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2013
sounds recoverable, if there is a backlight and mass storage comes up that's good, you can dd partitions with linux

no backlight + no recognizable usb device at all = bricked

still, buy at your own risk

kewkie

Dec 27, 2012
It is.. i just did by flashing a broken rom.. sent it to the repair center and they replaced the motherboard :D

E-I-K-E

Apr 22, 2012
Schleswig
Right, I asked him if the Device shows as qhsusb_bulk in device Manager, and it does.

The only thing that worries me, is that there is no Boot Logo, most of the people in the Linux Fix Thread atleast get a LG Logo and not just Backlight.

I´m really unsure what to do, I can save like 150€ by buying the broken G2, but well . . . I dont know if I can fix it.

Another problem is, that I have not a single clue on how to operate Linux/Ubuntu, and the only real fix requires either of those :(

alone-together

Jan 7, 2014
Right, I asked him if the Device shows as qhsusb_bulk in device Manager, and it does.

The only thing that worries me, is that there is no Boot Logo, most of the people in the Linux Fix Thread atleast get a LG Logo and not just Backlight.

I´m really unsure what to do, I can save like 150€ by buying the broken G2, but well . . . I dont know if I can fix it.

Another problem is, that I have not a single clue on how to operate Linux/Ubuntu, and the only real fix requires either of those :(

Just look up a guide on how to install an Ubuntu virtual machine. You should be able to connect your G2 to that virtual if you let it capture the USB port. If you can get it cheap, buy it and try to negotiate so you might have a chance on selling it for higher later on if you can't fix it. To me though, it sounds quite fixable, I would go for it.

dr87

Apr 22, 2013

this doesn't really matter, when I was trying to mess with the bootloader and corrupted it a few times I've never had the LG logo, as long as it comes up as storage you can DD it - the only time its a true brick is with no backlight and no usb device

if theres no boot logo you probably need to DD the aboot in

khaytsus

Apr 8, 2008
Central Kentucky
this doesn't really matter, when I was trying to mess with the bootloader and corrupted it a few times I've never had the LG logo, as long as it comes up as storage you can DD it - the only time its a true brick is with no backlight and no usb device

if theres no boot logo you probably need to DD the aboot in

This.. If you have bulk mode, you can fix it!

kewkie

Dec 27, 2012
That's actually just killing a fly with a sledgehammer. 99.9999% sure you got a softbrick.

:)

Sent from my Moto G using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Tried 3 different laptops

1x windows 8.1 (with ubuntu)
1x window 7 x64
1x windows 7 x86

Reinstalled all drivers, tried everything, but i couldnt get any usb connection.

- Factory reset? Freeze
- Normal boot? Stuck at bootlogo
- Download mode? Stucking at the loading screen :D

EniGmA1987

Sep 21, 2010

I had that problem when updating TWRP too. You have to be careful because these recoveries are only made for specific firmware versions. I cant remember how I fixed the issue after only being able to get a backlight on and no image, but I did fix it and my phone works fine. I do think you will need the TWRP files already on the phone to fix though, so you can somehow manage to flash back. They will need to be on the phone since you can push anything via ADB

i've been in this bricked situation when i was trying the 4.4.2 update manually...completely bricked, could not get into download mode too...so gave it to the service centre which at first said the main board will have to be changed when recovering through software upgrade failed...next day i got the phone back as they managed to flash the software back on it...
does not end here...i tried to flash optimus g pro 2 rom through twrp and same thing happened again...but was lucky this time as i could enter download mode and flashed kdz to recover...

fizzy177

Feb 24, 2012
Delhi
I'm just wondering if you can completely Hard Brick a LG G2 to a point, where there is no revive possible.

I can purchase a cheap LG G2 international version, but the seller says that he broke it during flashing a Kernel.

Can you for example revive a phone,that had a Kernel from completely different phone flashed?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. :)

Sent from my C6503 using Tapatalk 2

And yes i truly believe that our device can be hard bricked like i did mine today.
I tried to compile a custom bootloader for G2 using Qualcom's sources and fraction of LK. But in doing so i left my phone in a quasi-state where it will not connect as a usb device coz it does not pass the bootloader (Although bootloader is working as it should). .
So the only two option remain here for me is
1. To send phone back to LG service center where they'll do idk what.
2. To use JTAG or short the ic (Wonder if it could be done :confused: ) i.e manually open the phone and boot into the primary bootloader(Qcom legacy BL).

See that's how you can hard brick ur phone the right way ;)

savoca

Oct 28, 2011
Pasadena
downloads.codefi.re
Google Pixel 7
And yes i truly believe that our device can be hard bricked like i did mine today.
I tried to compile a custom bootloader for G2 using Qualcom's sources and fraction of LK. But in doing so i left my phone in a quasi-state where it will not connect as a usb device coz it does not pass the bootloader (Although bootloader is working as it should). .
So the only two option remain here for me is
1. To send phone back to LG service center where they'll do idk what.
2. To use JTAG or short the ic (Wonder if it could be done :confused: ) i.e manually open the phone and boot into the primary bootloader(Qcom legacy BL).

See that's how you can hard brick ur phone the right way ;)

Your LK build wouldn't have matched the sbl1, anything other than LG's signed aboot wouldn't work.. /:

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

fizzy177

Feb 24, 2012
Delhi
Your LK build wouldn't have matched the sbl1, anything other than LG's signed aboot wouldn't work.. /:

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

But it did work coz our bootloader enfoces the signature check not in the sbl.(Our Primary boot loader)
i'm sure of it because it tries to go to download option but freezes at initial stage.
had it been the case my device would've been detected as qucom_bulk device or so.. :(

---------- Post added at 09:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 AM ----------

Tried 3 different laptops

1x windows 8.1 (with ubuntu)
1x window 7 x64
1x windows 7 x86

Reinstalled all drivers, tried everything, but i couldnt get any usb connection.

- Factory reset? Freeze
- Normal boot? Stuck at bootlogo
- Download mode? Stucking at the loading screen :D

You my dear friend are a victim of a curroupt bootloader seqence(NOT THE CoRRUPT BOOTLOADER) i.e

Your phone would start something like
1- EFI initialization ok
2-Primary Boot Load -ok
3-Vendor Boot Load -ok
4- Error unable to find proper boot sequence- system halted

So ur best options are the one that i've stated just above this thread.

ramabg

Aug 21, 2011
My case. I root and flash custom recovery then apply OTA = medium brick. Download mode was not functioning, only recovery. To make matter worse, I flashed KK stock rom through ADB in recovery = super brick. Then I went to LG service center with poker face asked for reparation. They asked (confirm) whether your phone is rooted or not (they had already know though) and I just said like It is my sister's phone. Then they they open the phone and maybe directly format the sd card with some stuff. My phone is restored again afterward. In my opinion, software modification can always be repaired unless you fry your phone through overclock or overvolt.

khaytsus

Apr 8, 2008
Central Kentucky
My case. I root and flash custom recovery then apply OTA = medium brick. Download mode was not functioning, only recovery. To make matter worse, I flashed KK stock rom through ADB in recovery = super brick. Then I went to LG service center with poker face asked for reparation. They asked (confirm) whether your phone is rooted or not (they had already know though) and I just said like It is my sister's phone. Then they they open the phone and maybe directly format the sd card with some stuff. My phone is restored again afterward. In my opinion, software modification can always be repaired unless you fry your phone through overclock or overvolt.

It's not a brick if it was restored... meh.