Took OTA 4.4.2 - Can I Still Root? (TMo)

Search This thread

Quantumstate

Feb 6, 2010
I have a TMobile Moto X, which came unlocked from the factory. No TMo branding on the phone or in the OS, all Moto. In Phone Info | System Info it says, "Motorola X8 Mobile Computing System".

Does this mean I have an actual developer edition? Is there a way to query the phone and find out? Would this phone be a XT1053?

Next, I foolishly took the current OTA update today. Just got the phone from the factory and I hadn't made any changes to it except the OTA. Is it still possible for me to root and lay down a custom recovery? Would this be the method?

On recoveries, does Philz do anything that TWRP doesn't? I've used TWRP before and like it, so does Philz have any additional capabilities?

The phone is wonderfully smooth and has a number of nice features, so if I install a ROM from here will I lose any of those features, like the notifications when you turn the phone over, or flick for camera, or 'OK Google Now'?

Last edited:

KidJoe

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 23, 2008
Thorndale/Romansville, PA
I have a TMobile Moto X, which came unlocked from the factory. No TMo branding on the phone or in the OS, all Moto. In Phone Info | System Info it says, "Motorola X8 Mobile Computing System".

Does this mean I have an actual developer edition? Is there a way to query the phone and find out? Would this phone be a XT1053?
The "Unlocked, comes with T-Mobile SIM" version available via Motorola's web site is Sim Unlocked, has no branding, and comes with a T-Mobile SIM. It is an XT1053.

The GSM Developer Edition is also the XT1053.

Differences:

GSM Dev comes as black face, woven white back, silver accents (buttons and camera ring), says Developer Edition on the back, and can have its bootloader unlocked without voiding the warranty.

TMobile or "unlocked, comes with T-Mobile SIM' edition can be obtained via MotoMaker and fully customized. While you can unlock its bootloader, doing so will void the warranty.

Once software, hardware, and functionality wise they are the same.

Yes, you can root both via the "developer edition" type process (unlock bootloader, flash custom recovery, and install SuperSU)

As for Philz vs TWRP for recovery, I've only used TWRP.

Yes, if you install a custom/3rd party rom, you should expect to lose any of the Moto Specific features.

Reactions: Quantumstate

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Easiest way to tell if it's a Developer Edition is if it says it on the back cover. Also, the easiest way to tell if it can be rooted is to go to Motorola's site and request the unlock code. If it can't be unlocked it'll tell you.

https://motorola-global-portal.cust...e/bootloader/unlock-your-device-a/action/auth
    Is there a Recovery that will allow multiboot to different slots?

Not to my knowledge... If it's TMo it's the same as the Dev edition but you WILL loose warranty once you unlock BL through Moto

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

The "Unlocked, comes with T-Mobile SIM" version available via Motorola's web site is Sim Unlocked, has no branding, and comes with a T-Mobile SIM. It is an XT1053.

The GSM Developer Edition is also the XT1053.

Differences:

GSM Dev comes as black face, woven white back, silver accents (buttons and camera ring), says Developer Edition on the back, and can have its bootloader unlocked without voiding the warranty.

TMobile or "unlocked, comes with T-Mobile SIM' edition can be obtained via MotoMaker and fully customized. While you can unlock its bootloader, doing so will void the warranty.

Once software, hardware, and functionality wise they are the same.

Yes, you can root both via the "developer edition" type process (unlock bootloader, flash custom recovery, and install SuperSU)

As for Philz vs TWRP for recovery, I've only used TWRP.

Yes, if you install a custom/3rd party rom, you should expect to lose any of the Moto Specific features.