Kies Mini Specifically for Vibrant... and JI6 update instructions from Samsung

Search This thread

rajkumar484

Oct 2, 2009
Coimbatore, India
Samsung officially releases the JI6 Manual update through KIES MINI FOR VIBRANT.

goo.gl/jiL4

The link has instructions and download link for Kies Mini.
This Kies version is specifically made for US Version Vibrant.

And this Kies right now supports only one function - To update to JI6. (looks like they wanted to make a point)

Last edited:
Well if this for real and it kind of looks like it, it makes sense to keep Samsung apps not compeating with a possible tmoble app store, it protects Tmobile's bandwidth with no Kies tethering and it would be possibly a better way to roll out Froyo in the future than an OTA.
Not mention the piece of bull turd Kies is as software. And the seemingly many peaple with OTA problems and those who just can't wait for an OTA.
Did Samsung and Tmobile do somthing good? Not sure.

Edit:
Follow all instructions and read threads!... and read threads! This list is from me reading threads, I am not a Mod, I am nobody. THIS NOT A COMPLETE LIST just some known issues:

1. It seems you need stock JFD firmware to update, some flashed mods seem to be no problem, but they will be lost. You can get them back but use JI6 version mods.
2. uninstall all lag fixes. NO UPDATES WORK WITH LAG FIXES!
3. You will likely loose root but can get it back.
4. Some have had to use Usb debugging mode or Kies mode to have phone recognized by Kies mini.
5. uninstall all previous Kies software. Before installing Kies Mini.
6. Some report if you use it, to switch from Launcher Pro to stock launcher for Kies to work properly.
7. And allways back up your stuff prior to doing anything like this.

Again, this is not a compleat list... just trying to answer the same questions over and over again.... SHEESH
Good luck,
Don

Sent from my SGH-T959 using XDA App

rajkumar484

Oct 2, 2009
Coimbatore, India
I just finished updating with this..

Samsung finally has answered our calls!!

I updated from Stock to JI6 in 5 minutes with just one button click.
Not only this is very easy, this comes from SAMSUNG...

Looks like even Samsung is fed up with T-Mobile... They don't want to spoil their phone's reputation any more and are taking things in their hand..

wergeld

Mar 13, 2007
This is the kind of communication that should come from tmo or samsung. Sure this link is out there but it is not advertised publicly...hell I cant even get to that link from tmo or samsung...
Let's hope it doesn't have the same issue as the full Kies - Could not apply new firmware.

fiberangel

Sep 4, 2009
Tried running this on my Win 7 64bit box and Kies Mini just crashes every time. According to the site it only supports 32bit windows. Anyone had luck with 64bit box?

update: Tried it on my Win 7 Ult 64bit laptop and worked like a charm.

Last edited:

ljv

Jul 18, 2010
Just for grins, I tried this out after flashing back to stock. Worked perfectly on my Win7 Home Premimum 64bit. Haven't done any real testing but did a quick look for Slinbox and Fandango on Market and found both.

PaiPiePia

Aug 22, 2010
Wow this guide is so specific: look

* If I downloaded JI5 through the full verison of Kies, can I update to JI6?
o Yes, however you should remove Kies & then install Kies Mini

and it even included a full list of change logs:

Please see below list of some changes found in JI6 outside of what is listed at the top of the article.

* Improvements:
o Avatar: Added checking routine for file corruption
o Swype: Applied updated build of Swype
o Thinkfree Office: Applied updated build of ThinkFree Office
o GMS: The Google Mobile Services has been updated
o DLNA: Backbone updated
o Kernel: 3D library patch
o Telenav: APK updated
o Kies: Can now be quit with Home key
o Hard Reset:When performing a hardware key reset, data is erased
* Modifications:
o Radio: 3G antenna bar patch
o SNS Sync: The interval value for synchronizing has been changed
o Task Manager: String change to Internal Memory
* Additions:
o Media Hub: Samsung Media Hub is now available
o Message Alert: Alert message added for Yahoo email over WiFi
* Fixes:
o Ringtone: Ringtone disappearing corrected
o Silent Mode: No sounds play after unchecking silent mode
o Feeds & Updates: Force close problem addressed
o Calendar: Force close problem addressed
o Contacts: Unknown name addressed
o SNS: Contact sync error addressed
o MMS: Out of memory exception addressed

tornado76

Oct 1, 2010
Bridge Creek
Just for grins, I tried this out after flashing back to stock. Worked perfectly on my Win7 Home Premimum 64bit. Haven't done any real testing but did a quick look for Slinbox and Fandango on Market and found both.

I could see them after an update but they were gone after installing something from the market. Can you still see them after installing something?

I wonder if they released this now to get everything worked out so we can update to 2.2 and avoid the hassle of waiting for OTA's in the future. It would be easier on us and them. Looks like a step in the right direction.

ljv

Jul 18, 2010
tornado76, I didn't install anything from market but I did install the lastest Market APK. As soon as I did that, couldn't find some apps.

ryan562

Feb 28, 2010

works on my win 7 64 bit toshiba satellite laptop BUT i couldn't update cus my battery was too low FTL on my part! :p

heygrl

Nov 20, 2009
Las Vegassss
Looks like even Samsung is fed up with T-Mobile... They don't want to spoil their phone's reputation any more and are taking things in their hand..
Samsung did the same for the Captivate. It has nothing to do with T-Mobile but rather avoiding the buggy regular Kies application for updating the firmware.. where you guys come up with this stuff I don't know.

ryan562

Feb 28, 2010
one thing i notice off the bat is that it takes a longer or "full swipe" for the stock lockscreen to clear.

iynfynity

Sep 21, 2010
Great! They released it today, and today is the day that I got the courage to update my phone through odin.

I hope that when froyo comes out they will do the same.